HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:36 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
That blogger is an idiot:

The problem is idiots who can't operate their equipment within specs.
ROFL.I happened to stumble upon it some time back.I especially got a laugh about the part that says "the user recommended fix" for the pots/gimbals is to spray them with WD-40.

Ok come on.Idiots? Thats kinda harsh.Ignorant is a better term.Its not meant to be derogatory.Many just dont know any better.This is where education makes all the difference in the world.You have to want to learn though.Thats a whole other obstacle Ive learned.

On the point of the topic.I generally try to stay out of these kinds of arguments but my opinion is that many simply hate what they dont understand.Why Spektrum? Well there are more of these systems out there than any other.The compounding issue is that many of them are less experienced.They think they know more than they really do and continue to attempt to apply old school logic to new age technology (Analog thinking in a digital world).
Ive found myself falling into that trap to an extent.I found that the more I know the more I know I dont know.It hopefully keeps my mind open and I continue to learn and it keeps me out of trouble to a certain extent.

I try to stay ahead of the curve far enough to know a little bit more than "just enough to be dangerous".
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:47 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
ROFL.I happened to stumble upon it some time back.I especially got a laugh about the part that says "the user recommended fix" for the pots/gimbals is to spray them with WD-40.

Ok come on.Idiots? Thats kinda harsh.Ignorant is a better term.Its not meant to be derogatory.Many just dont know any better.This is where education makes all the difference in the world.You have to want to learn though.Thats a whole other obstacle Ive learned.
Well, no one is born knowing this stuff, but operating potentially dangerous equipment out of spec is the realm of the idiot. They are surrounded by the correct information from authoritative sources, but either don't bother looking due to arrogance, or don't understand it due to stupidity.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:59 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Well, no one is born knowing this stuff, but operating potentially dangerous equipment out of spec is the realm of the idiot. They are surrounded by the correct information from authoritative sources, but either don't bother looking due to arrogance, or don't understand it due to stupidity.
ROFL.That is fairly clearly evident here in the states.It pretty much permeates much of our culture.Just look at the ppl we have in office that claim to be leaders chosen by the ppl.But I digress...
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:56 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Exactly! Something I can't fathom is people's apparent mass inability to reason thru a set of facts and realize the potential for harm something might bring. But whether it's inability or refusal is the key question.

Can't believe I've not used one of my favorite sayings in prolly 10 years, & here I am using it for the 2d time in as many days. As told just yesterday, Zappa said it best: "Ignorance has a certain charm that's lacking in stupidity."

Lord help us - Darwin's taking too long!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:02 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
The Peter Principle is at work sometimes -
Understanding technical matters is tricky.
You either have the ability to put together a set of variables or you don't.
Not stupid- just missing that little spark which works for techie stuff.
The very simple (to some) set of variables which create voltage depression , is a complete mystery and often denied as fact, by others .
A favorite quip is that as technology advances by the square, the inability to understand it , advances by the cube.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
i binded my UMX Beast to my DX8 yesterday and it flew awesome and i even tried to fly it far enough away from me to lose contact and i couldnt do it... so, who's the big dummy now.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
That blogger is an idiot:
Just seconding Gerry here: Z8RC is always looking for controversy to get hits on his blog, and sure enough, there's no best way to get some, than by hitting on Spektrum and Horizon Hobby. So take everything Z8RC is saying with a grain of salt. He even use different names to boost his blog rating... It's too bad because some of his stuff is good...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
It's too bad because some of his stuff is good...
Nothing about him is good - he is seriously twisted. Thus his permaban here and on Wattflyer.

But you are right he does try to get posts on his site by being polarizing elsewhere. Seeing the lack of any activity there I can see his master plan worked.

LOL

MIke
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
Bruce of R/C Model Reviews is also banned. He was an early critic of DSM2 but gave the DX8 with DSMX a favourable review, although he did say it was " a bit spendy."

I'm not looking for FrySky prices. I remember when radios cost a lot more and if one radio can be used on all of my planes, that's a savings.

I don't think Spektrum's market is as restricted to the US market as some suggest. They seem to have a pretty good presence in Germany and Australia.

True, inexperienced flyers are over-represented among their users due to the BNF market, so reports of unreliability would tend higher with their system.

Nevertheless, I expect another announcement soon. Until then, I will dedicate my DX8 to my simulator and leave the rest of the AR600s in their packages.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
"With about 1/3 of our hobby being replaced by newbies every year, it makes perfect sense that not many lifers are left that remember what standards of reliability we had acheived with 72mhz."

So true!

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
That statement jumped out at me too.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
"With about 1/3 of our hobby being replaced by newbies every year, it makes perfect sense that not many lifers are left that remember what standards of reliability we had acheived with 72mhz."

So true!

A.
Yeah, interference and shoot downs never happened.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
wow, how true
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:45 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,388 Posts
I'm not gonna say anything about decent 2.7g radios for under 50 bux & old 'reliable' 72's costs.
Nossir.
Not me.
Not one thing.
Nunh-UH!!!

But I do believe that fact's playing a huge part in the sport having those newcomers coming in in the numbers they are.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:02 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I'm not gonna say anything about decent 2.7g radios for under 50 bux & old 'reliable' 72's costs.
Nossir.
Not me.
Not one thing.
Nunh-UH!!!

But I do believe that fact's playing a huge part in the sport having those newcomers coming in in the numbers they are.
what ?