HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:27 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Sheeting and stringers

Now we're getting somewhere! Despite the small weight penalty, I like to put stringers along the "cheek" formers, to prevent the bowing of the sheet into the ribby "straved horse" look. The stringers here are 3 x 5mm medium balsa. The thickness is for two reasons: firstly they are rigid enough not to bend inwards when I glue on the sheet and secondly 3mm is wide enough to butt two sheets onto. I hope.

The method I use to notch the stringers is not mine, but here it is. Two thin hacksaw blades are taped together, separated by a suitable thickness balsa strip. I tag mark each former using a long straight edge, then saw the slot to the (5mm) depth of the hacksaw blade. The balsa strip ensures the correct width slot and also clears out the waste wood.

On to sheeting. I got some very nice light 1.5mm from Channel 4 models and dampened the outside, then banded it to the fuselage and marked on the trimming line for a good fit. Once the balsa has dried it can come off, be trimmed, final check then glued on, being very careful to wipe off excess glue along the sheet edge.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Feb 09, 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling (agen)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:12 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,535 Posts
Neat trick for the stringer notches, Mike. Build is really coming along. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:15 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I took all the bands and pegs off this afternoon and the top sheet seems to have gone perfectly. The top of the fuz is a straight line, so that piece is the easiest!

I was wrong about the source of the wood: for those living down here, I got it at Lesro Models. And I popped down there an hour ago and snapped up (sorry, wrong word ) bought their remaining stock of light flexible sheet. What's left is still pretty good, but not for this sort of work.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:13 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,929 Posts
Very nice tool !!

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:02 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
More sheeting today, completing the upper half of the fuselage. The slight double curvature of the sides was easily covered by a little damping of the sheet after careful measuring and gradual cutting off slivers of balsa to get a good fit. Some spackle will hide the gaps
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:23 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Back to the model...

I apologise to anyone who was following this build, since my last post was over 6 months ago (and it seems even longer).

I discovered back in February that I had made a simple error in the wing incidence and since everything else was linked to it, threw it all in a corner and got on with something simpler like a 60" span Avro Lincoln in depron

Returning to the Britain First a few days ago I just hacked away at the fuselage until the wing chord was at about 3 degrees to datum then finished off the fuselage sheeting (I'm rather pleased that it only took 13 pieces of 1/16th balsa).

It all looks much better now, and I'll crack on with finishing the job and getting her into the air.

Mike
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,929 Posts
Nice to see your back on the project.

Cheers,

Bart
Old Sep 15, 2013, 04:19 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,535 Posts
+1. Can't tell you how many times I have done something like that, get to a point in the build where I look back and see something glaring that I have done wrong and it takes the starch right out of me. Glad you picked it back up, she will be a beauty when done. Mind the Lincoln was rather a nice little side project for all us vicarious viewers.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:48 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Thanks Bart and Jeff...off to buy some covering today, so the beginning of the end can't be far away!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
I bought some cowls and dummy engines from Park Flyer Plastics and finally got round to a trial fit. They are not quite scale shape, but...

The fuselage now has a balsa nose and covering can't be far off. I have Solartex for the control surfaces and Tim Calvert had some nice aluminium 'ChinaCote' Profilm look-alike for me this morning.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Had a go at making the cockpit framing from hardwood strips. They will eventually be lifted off the floor/back and these parts painted up and detailed.

It wasn't an easy exercise: fingers stuck to strips of wood, sanding just that bit too much off, having to take pieces apart, running out of "stick-it spray"
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Sep 22, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
Had a go at making the cockpit framing from hardwood strips. They will eventually be lifted off the floor/back and these parts painted up and detailed.

It wasn't an easy excercise: fingers stuck to strips of wood, sanding just that bit too much off, having to take pieces apart, running out of "stick-it spray"
It was worth the trouble Mike , it looks great !

Cheers,

Bart
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:27 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,457 Posts
Mike,
I love the cockpit glazing. It looks just wonderful.
I hope you can find or make a RAF flight crew worthy of the office you have created. Carving and painting crew figures out of blue foam is a really enjoyable side project. Perhaps one of them could look a bit like Sir Hugh Dowding. It doesn't have to be a photo realistic master piece to give a nice impression when everything is buttoned up.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Last edited by Robert R; Sep 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:24 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Thanks Bart and Robert,

I'm at the stage where every little thing seems to take a whole session, and the project slowly creeps to completion. Still, a pilot is a must, and I've been putting off the inevitable. In the pictures on page 1, the Bristol test pilot is wearing a very snappy trilby, and presumably a collar and tie, perhaps even a 3-piece suit. Flying overalls were for Service Types, perhaps. Maybe I could model Lord Rothermere?

Mike
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:24 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
How about this guy?

I have cheated by butchering a figure carved years ago by club-mate Andrew Tubb and be-hatted and de-moustached* him, replacing the French-looking beret with an English trilby. The brim is from card and the crown from foam.

Just a bit of paint and he's ready to take control. Thanks for the nudge, Robert!

*We say beheaded and divested and deconstructed, all meaning taken off or away. Behatted it is.