HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Gotta laugh Mike. Not much of the original BC kit in there by the looks of it. Yours will a pound or two lighter than mine I imagine. Should be a real floater. Lovely, neat work.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:29 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Gotta laugh Mike. Not much of the original BC kit in there by the looks of it. Yours will a pound or two lighter than mine I imagine. Should be a real floater. Lovely, neat work.

Regards,
Jeff
You got me Jeff! I admit that I have not touched the kit at all, other than to use it as inspiration, so I'll be selling it on some time!

Mike
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,659 Posts
You should let warbird@home know (Ray) here on RCG, he's been after one for a while. Good build, giving me lots of idea's for lightening mine when I get around to building it in a few years time.

Look forward to seeing the thread progress.

S.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:05 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,523 Posts
The wing is now framed up and ready for the UC and motor mounts to be epoxied into the structure. I've taken a bit of a risk in specifying the .10-sized electric retract for this model, in order to save weight. The unit itself seems more than powerful enough and is robustly built, but I have concerns that the 3mm wire will be prone to bending in bumpy landings. Just have to take care then!

Another break with tradition will be to place the SCs in the nacelles where there is lots of room and cooling air, the fuselage being a bit cramped at the front end. Since the distance from the battery to the SCs will be less than 12" I think this is a worthwhile experiment.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:14 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
I know you are supposed to lengthen the motor leads and keep the power leads short, but I always do the reverse, get the esc's out in the wing where there is better cooling. The HK Lanc has them in the nacelles as a design feature, y 62" Lib has them in the nacelles for cooling, etc. I have cut away the bottoms of the forward nacelles in my Blenheim to house the esc's for the same reason.

Like your motor/gear mount design, keeps the wing LE intact, so stronger. Have you decided on your power system yet?

Regards,
Jeff
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,523 Posts
Interesting Jeff, have you had any problems at all with voltage fluctuations?

I'm going to use a couple of Turnigy 850KV Park 480 motors with 30A SCs on 3 cells. I'm looking for some nice 3-blade props, maybe 10 x 6 or 10 x 5. Perhaps I should come down to 2 cells with larger scale props - if eyeforwings is reading this he would agree, no doubt!

I'm hoping for an AUW of less than 4lbs.

I just cut and glued the UC and motor mount plates from 2 lams of 2mm liteply cross-grained, but now it's time to watch "Downton Abbey" in the hope that they will have a 1920's light plane instead of all the cars. Nothing to do with the lovely Michelle Dockery of course...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Mike, with the smallish motors we are using at this scale, no probs whatsoever. I have been told that if you have long battery leads on larger set-ups, you can put a big capacitor across the leads and that takes care of the issue as well.

I am going to use these:http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_3_b...32886_prd1.htm on mine. About the right size, come stock with 10" pitch, but that can be dialed back to as little as 5" if necessary. I tend to run them at stock pitch b/c it's easy and have had not problems with overamping. I ran the 3-blade 11" on m WR Dauntless, and I currently have the 11" 4-bladers on m HL P47 and PZ Spit. Neither of them are particularly fast, but they have lots of grunt for t/o and loops.

At 4 lbs, yours will be a powered glider.

Regards,
jeff
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:59 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,523 Posts
I got the motor and UC mounts sorted out over the last couple of days, and made a start on my least favourite occupation, soldering up the Y leads. I even got one wrong and had to re-do it. What a dummy!

Apart from that, things are looking good and lining up nicely. A trip to Channel 4 tomorrow to get another Y-lead and some more glue. (it's on the way to the weekly shop!)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,612 Posts
Looks nice Mike !!

Subrcribed.

Greets,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
905 Posts
Hello, Mike!
Thanks for the pictures of the motor mounts and motor wiring. Have you installed any thrust angles on the motors? By the looks of the design, it would appear to be easy to accomplish with thin washers.
My compliments on the superb joinery on the airframe.
Chris
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:42 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,523 Posts
Hi Chris,

I've put about one degree of downthrust relative to the flat underside of the wing (so probably two degrees relative to the chord line) but I've left the sidethrust alone, in the hope that I can source opposite rotation 3-blade props. If I can't, or they are too expensive for me, I can add sidethrust as you suggested, by packing with washers.

The retracts are fitted and working. My wire bashing skills are agricultural to say the least, but I have two passable UC legs (out of four tries), with the CL of the wheel passing through the socket on the retract, to reduce any unnecessary twisting force on landing.

At the moment I'm waiting for the SCs from Hobby King before wiring up the wing centre section and fitting the D box sheeting.

Mike
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Mike, I wouldn't worry hugely about counter-rotating props. My HK Mosquito is about the same size and weight, and I went to PZ props to get more pitch speed, which meant ditching CR. If I am not totally ham-fisted on t/o there is very little swing and I can't tell any difference in the air. The HL props I have set aside for my Blenheim both rotate clockwise.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:05 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,228 Posts
Any progress on the model, Mike? If I can add a word about counter-rotating props, I flew my venerable Twin Otter without them for quite some time and was convinced it was not an issue. A year ago I retro fitted the model with counter rotating props and I am now convinced that it did indeed change the behaviour of the model and make it even more stable and forgiving. (Didn't stop me from hitting trees, mind you).
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,523 Posts
Any progress? What can I say? I was sidetracked, m'Lud but will be back with the Britain First next month, after I've finished my kitbash Al Lidberg TA152 FF to RC. I'd forgotten how time-consuming other people's designs can be, when you decide that they can be "improved". Both the Lidberg and the Balsacraft kits are fine in the ir own right. I should stop messing them about!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:23 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,612 Posts
Hey Mike ,

Are you still planning to build the Short C Class ? and are you still following my thread ?

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83