HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Here is the program we will work to weather permitting.

I'm happy with whatever transpires for a flying format for Expo 2014.

As noted somewhere above, in a democracy numbers win (some call it "crowd sourcing" others a "damper on innovation"). There is no doubt that the winch launch glider pilots outnumber the rest so they must have the greatest influence on any format for Expo. But, my fear is that the richness of Expo as a place to try new things will be lost if we revert to a winch launch glider only event.

So...

In 2013 we have a job to do for the NSW Nats commitee who wanted to combine Expo with the Glider and Electric Glider Nats.

To remove uncertainty here is the program the CDs for Glider and Electric Glider and the Nats committee have agreed to.

The 66th Nationals Glider and Electric Glider contest will be held in conjunction with the 33rd Sailplane Expo from Friday 25th January until Monday 28th January 2013.

The program will be :-

F3J Glider Friday 25th

Thermal Glider, F5J, LEG Saturday 26th
(normal EXPO format) Sunday 27th
Monday 28th

F3K Discuss Launch Glider Saturday 26th lunch hour
Sunday 27th lunch hour
+ additional session at end of day
Monday 28th early morning session

Please send your entries in so we can see the numbers and have time to figure out the best way to give everyone a fair go.

See you in Armidale.

Hutton
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Hope you all had a good Xmas.

Looking forward to entries

See you in Armidale,

Hutton
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Australia, NSW, Sylvania
Joined Oct 2009
77 Posts
Less than 1 month to go!

Have you entered? Don't miss out - get your entry in asap so we can plan the event in more detail.

Looking forward to getting plenty of flying in at one of the best flying sites in Australia.
3D_sailor is offline Find More Posts by 3D_sailor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:01 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Entries to date ...

... are shown in the attached excel / zipped file.

Lots of thermals lurking around the field over the past few days. I'll try not to wear them out.

See you in Armidale

Hutton
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:38 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Entries starting to come in..

... and in the first 20 we have:-

13 in F3J
16 in Open Thermal
13 in F5J
8 in LEG
4 in F3K

Looks to be shaping up for a busy few days.

See you in Armidale

Hutton
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:19 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Just 10 days to go for entries and 15 days to NatXPo

A short summary of where we are at with entries for the 66th Nats Glider events / 33rd Sailplane Expo

18 for F3J
29 for Open Thermal
19 in F5J
11 in LEG and
7 in F3K

We have enough to run all events.

There are still some well known names not yet signed up.

Please do so before the 20th so we can make up score cards, arrange teams for F3J, figure out the best way to maximise flying for everyone and order stuff for the weekend.

See you in Armidale,

Hutton
Last edited by VHO; Jan 09, 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Fixed an oops
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Entries Close Next Monday

.. so we can do the draws and print score sheets etc..

So far there are:-

20 for F3J
30 for Open Thermal
21 in F5J
11 in LEG and
7 in F3K

There are some persons named in teams who have not yet entered .

Please get your entries in, it makes organising a lot easier and will mean more time flying.

See you in Armidale

Hutton
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
QLD Australia
Joined Sep 2005
26 Posts
how is the weekend looking?
1bird is offline Find More Posts by 1bird
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:09 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
240 Posts
Very sad. I can't make it. Dad will be taking some pics for me though.
Weather wise I hope it rocks!
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:17 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bird View Post
how is the weekend looking?
Is looking great, although that low pressure system over Qld may cause concern later in the weekend.

Field looks good, all marked up for F3J in the morning. The food tent is installed, ready for breakfast at 730 (oops 630 Qld time).

See you there?

Hutton
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:47 PM
QLD Australia
Joined Sep 2005
26 Posts
Hi All
If I had not left when I did I would not have got home.
A lot of roads got shut not long after I went through.
Hope for better weather next time. ( will be back)

Eddie
1bird is offline Find More Posts by 1bird
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Sylvania
Joined Oct 2009
77 Posts
66th Glider Nationals & Armidale Expo Results

F3J we flew 9 rounds of heats with 7 pilots to a heat during the Friday. Everyone got plenty of flying in during this event. The large field made it possible to use 20 metre lane spacing - this helped to ensure there were no midairs during the launch. Very testing conditions with strong winds and a few instances of light rain. The pilots that hadn't flown F3J before thoroughly enjoyed the experience and are looking forward to competing the next time the event is run.
After the heats we flew 3 Fly-off rounds commencing around 4:30pm. Conditions proved testing for the 7 pilots who made the fly-offs. At the end of the fly-offs only 1 pilot had made his flight times in all the rounds.
The results were:
1. Carl Strautins
2. Jim Houdalakis
3. Karl Knack

Open Thermal got underway on Saturday morning after the electric guys decided to see if the weather would improve. We had just completed the first heat of round 7 when rain stopped flying around 3pm. Winds were again strong for most of the day and F3B planes were used by many competitors with most loaded to around 3kg. There were a lot of out landings and some of the heats were won with short flight times. On Sunday morning the rain and wind had set in and the forecast predicted 40-80mm of rain with winds of 20 - 40 kmph increasing to 60 - 80 kmph in the afternoon. The forecast for Monday was even worse so it was decided to call the event and declare the results based on the 6 rounds already flown on the Saturday.
The final results were

1. Carl Strautins
2. Clive Warman
3. Alan Mayhew

Well done to everyone who participated and congratulations to the winners they thoroughly deserved their results.
3D_sailor is offline Find More Posts by 3D_sailor
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:44 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
549 Posts
A few more details on Expo / Glider Nats

Kevin Smeaton has provided the full results. The overall results are attached below. If you need to know your scores in finer detail PM me.

As Alan has said, it was a good, and challenging, few days until we were washed out and blown away by Oswald the wayward tropical low.

I would like to thank all who attended and especially Alan for CD ing the Glider events, Peter and Rob for waiting to run the Electric Glider events (which were subsequently blown / washed away and will be held at a later date), Kevin for his help with the scoring and the NEMAC club for catering.

See you next year.

Hutton