HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Cool
Mystery glider project - any info appreciated!

Hi there guys, I've recently picked up this mostly complete glider:

It has a very thick, undercambered airfoil and a 2.5m wingspan (actually 2.45m)with some weird geometry to say the least!

She's powered by an Eneloop 4-cell pack and two GWS servos for the rudder and elevator, other than that I have no more info and zero idea if this is a known model, an original build, or something inbetween.

I'm in the process of reworking her for flight and any information would be very much appreciated.

Cheers all - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,855 Posts
Judging by the airfoil and size, maybe it's inspired by the Gemini MTS, but it's definitely not a Gemini MTS.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Interesting.....

Odd but cool looking plane. Interesting that it's pretty streamlined in the fusalage and tailpieces yet it has that really thick and undercambered airfoil in the wing.

I'm really interested in how that thing flies. I'm some day going to make a bigger wing(2 meter?) for my HOB 2x4, part of me knows enough now to make a thinner airfoil than what it came with, but part of me wants to do something goofy like make the wing as thick as the 2x4/2x6 or thicker just to see just how slowly something can fly.

Keep us posted when you get it flying, pictures of it flying would be great.

Adios - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Cheers guys, and yeah the airfoil is a bit of a mystery. The work in the wing is actually very nice, with good covering and excellent woodwork including capped ribs.

At the moment I'm reconnecting the elevator to the linkage, mounting a control horn and seeing if I can get a tow/winch hook attached in the belly of the beast.

For the hook I'd most likely be using a piece of coathanger and several layers of thin balsa that have been layered together, in crossgrain format, with epoxy to form a laminate.

The wing is also in one piece, so today I took it out to the clubhouse and will be storing it there from now on. Seriously, a 2.4m one-piece wing?! Crazy

Pics later on - boingk
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:37 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,010 Posts
The ends of the wings look like they were extensions that were added later.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:53 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Yea, but maybe someone should of said to who ever added those tips to "put down the bong and step away from the plane". But still, I just read boingk's post in another thread that stated it glided rather well from hand tosses. Sounds encouraging, just hope we get a little video when it goes for a ride up the winch line.

I haven't given it any serious thought yet, but that funky looking wing might be the reason it does fly well??

boingk, is there any washout in those tips?

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
They might be extensions... but the work looks very uniform to my eye.

This is the post Quick61 read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk
I had the first flight of the Mystery 2.5 a few hours ago... just put on a simple control horn and linkage for the flight test and will put on more permenant and reliable gear this evening. I also put full charge in the Eneloops and connected up an audio voltmeter and remote receiver to the 6ch OrangeRx.

It was a moderate wind out on an otherwise perfect day, and after some messing around with the DX7 I gave her a tentative push into the wind. She flew along perfectly well, much better than I expected, and pretty much in trim from what I could see - the preflight agonising paid off!

I gave her another flight and she flew well a second, and then third, time before I decided to call it quits for the day. She doesn't have a towhook (yet) so I was restricted to handlaunches on the grass runway... but we'll get her on the winch next week perhaps.

Cheers all - boingk
Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
A few pictures of the electronics and towhook installation. Servos are GWS 3002's on elevator and rudder (2BB on elevator, STD on rudder) with OrangeRx 2.4Ghz 6ch and remote receiver for signal. Towhook is reinforced with six 2"x1" pieces of 1/8" balsa epoxied together to form a laminate.

Hopefully I'll be able to properly flight test her sometime this week.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Hey, that tow hook install is looking good. Maybe it's the way the pic of the plane looks, but that wing sure does look funky from the pic you have there. It looks like it sweeps back, then forward. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong and *I* need to put down the beer and step away.

Best of luck giving that ship a ride up the line. Sure hope it goes smooth.

Mark
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:20 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks Mark, good to hear it looks alright from somone elses perspective... I haven't had much experience with sailplanes and don't want to rip it apart on launch!

You aren't seeing things wrong at all, the wing does indeed sweep backwards and then straight out at the tips. Makes for a striking and unusual wing for sure.

Cheers mate - boingk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Thanks Mark, good to hear it looks alright from somone elses perspective... I haven't had much experience with sailplanes and don't want to rip it apart on launch!

You aren't seeing things wrong at all, the wing does indeed sweep backwards and then straight out at the tips. Makes for a striking and unusual wing for sure.

Cheers mate - boingk
Looking at it again,and studying the pic of the inside, there is one thing... I don't know how the fuse is constructed or how sturdy the "floor" actually might be, so you might want to think about installing a couple of bulkheads to the front and back of the laminate block the wire runs through and make sure it ties in well with the bottom and sides of the fuse. If that fuse is thin on the bottom and there is no glass / reinforcement, that block and wire could pull right through the bottom on launch. Good chance you could get it back down in one piece but it would cause a bunch of otherwise unnecessary repair work. Of course there is always the worst case, the thing pulls out,breaking enough of the fuse that it spills it's guts, resulting in the ship doing the funky winkerbeen into the rekit bag. Always a cool thing to watch, unless of course, its MY plane...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righteo mate, I'll take her out to the field and see what the guys say about her before I try anything drastic.

The floor is actually a double layer; the floor you see in the photo, and then at least one layer of shaped and contoured balsa that gives the outside. It looks to be at least half an inch thick.

I may just add in some tri-stock to contour that block a bit and reduce localised stress.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,063 Posts
Unless you're planning on putting it on a winch, I wouldn't get too stressed about that.

I've had 30 year old sailplanes with less meat than that around the towhook and they've not let go.

As a matter of fact one is simply screwed into a piece of 1.8mm thick plastic. It occasionally turns sideways (makes for interesting releases!) but hasn't pulled through.
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:48 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I may put her on a winch, but to be honest all I can see at the moment is reasonably cruisey launches off my 6mm silicone bungee histart. I have 10m of bungee cord and another 30m or so of line - would that be alright for testing or should I be looking for 50m or so?

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
That's about the size I have - 33' of tube and ~130' of line. Makes it hard to catch good thermals, but it should put it up high enough to see how it will fly and get it sorted out, I'd think it will be a good way to test it out before winching.

Mark