HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Humm
Thinking of buying one of these and putting in my Airplane.
But, I read all the posts and understood nothing.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
I have one HK blue ESC for the motor and I think its BEC claims to be 1A, however most ESC deigns I have seen have been designed by people with no hardware background and are lucky to provide half of that (I'm looking at you HK SS series )

I am using a 5A switching BEC.

Well here's the thing, the exact same hardware does not cause a KK or KK plus board to reset. You have to understand that it's not just voltage droop but current flowing through the board that upsets the KK2. They share ground paths if you connect them together. It's not the updated BEC that helps, but the separation of 5V rails. This way, servo current does not influence the KK2 board itself.

The CPU has a 10uF tantalum and 2.2ohm resistor as a filter but still fails.esc
1 amp continuous is very low for an internal BEC, so the voltage would sag underload, causing CPU's and receivers to brown out. I experienced this with the MKS DS92A+ servos.

A small capacitor will smoothen out small sags in voltage to protect the CPU but sags of greater duration will not recoverable so causing CPU crashing.

A larger capacitor will help in slightly longer durations but is no substitute for a higher rating BEC.

Most internal BEC's are rated at 3 amps continuous with 5 amps peak.

What capacitors do the earlier boards feature?

It would be interesting to try the following Turnigy voltage protect with a higher rating internal BEC.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html

I have Turnigy YEP 45A, YGE clone, with a 6 amp 5.5 volt internal BEC that I will be using and will provide feed back upon.
rceccleston is online now Find More Posts by rceccleston
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
782 Posts
the 3 amp rating you speak of is 3 amps with a 2s 7.4 volt battery, you go to 3s 11.1v and the amp output drops to at least 1/2 if not less, there are a lot of esc's under 30 amp with 2amp linear bec's. unless it's a ztw or a cobra or something the cheaper esc's are all basing the amp rating on 2s 7.4v, the answer is very very simple, hobbywing switch mode external bec, mistakenly called a ubec is only $7.00 or so, 3 amp continuous 2s-6s, i believe, they also make a 5amp hv and an 8 amp cont., 2s-3s, castle creations very lightweight 7 amp cont. 10 amp burst. (bout $20) to get a switch mode internal bec you have to get at least a 30-40amp esc for 3 amps or more cont.(not all 30-40 amp esc's are switch mode, most are linear) all these ratings are given with the expectation of good airflow over the components. the hobbywing (rebranded by turnigy to the plush line, also the 3 h/wing sbec's are sold under the turnigy name, as is almost everything sold at hobbyking...i buy it there too) all work very good for the cheap price. i have all three models and all three work as advertised as does my cc 7amp. it's too cheap to risk not doing it

rant over,
michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 11, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
782 Posts
not one bad rating on the hobbyking yep 45amp (says a lot for yge, they put their own stickers on them) i'd be curious as to the plane/motor combination your using, supposedly these are real good heli esc's.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Humm
Thinking of buying one of these and putting in my Airplane.
But, I read all the posts and understood nothing.
Try the User Guide here.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
782 Posts
hs,
so just using a higher amp esc, even a 100 amp cont. bec is not going to work . they need separate/dedicated power sources? if that's the case a low cost 3 amp sbec should be more than enough for the board itself?
(hopefully)
michael clyde
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
subbed...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
111 Posts
Cool! Sure gonna use this in my next KK board build.
FPVAustralia is offline Find More Posts by FPVAustralia
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
Indonesia, Lampung, Sukarame
Joined Dec 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
subbed...
me to
benybee is offline Find More Posts by benybee
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,237 Posts
Finally got around to getting OpenAero2 airborne yesterday.
Worked just as advertised. Thanks again Happy, for all your hard work.

Unfortunately, the wind was, for once, dead calm.
So I didn't really get any benefit from stab.

Auto level performed flawlessly, but since it was the first flight I didn't push it.
I'll definitely need to increase most gains from the defaults I flew with since the Fun Cub is quite stable on it's own and needs quite a bit of rudder to move quickly

Dusk came and stopped any further tuning, but that'll just be a matter of time.

Safe landings,
/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Aug 12, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:37 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Just so I am clear - auto level and auto stab can run at the same time?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:11 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
782 Posts
hs,
while flying with the gyros is there anyway to switch between rate mode and heading hold mode (avcs) or is there even support for both modes ? i just noticed this may not even be possible.

thanks,
michael clyde
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
not one bad rating on the hobbyking yep 45amp (says a lot for yge, they put their own stickers on them) i'd be curious as to the plane/motor combination your using, supposedly these are real good heli esc's.
I chose the YEP because its a clone of YGE with very positive feedback and the 6 amp internal switching BEC will be ideal for running high torque digital servos driven by the KK2 board.

After flying flybarless electric T-Rex 700e's with a Castle Creation 160 amp HV ESC, I find it works well to over spec by 20% for reliability and performance.

I'll be running the KK2 board with Turnigy 390DMH servos in a WOT-4e, to teach my brother to fly, running a Turnigy D3542/6 1000kv on a 11x6 prop on 3s.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
hs,
while flying with the gyros is there anyway to switch between rate mode and heading hold mode (avcs) or is there even support for both modes ? i just noticed this may not even be possible.

thanks,
michael clyde
I believe the gyros will be working in rate mode on a plane, the same as the cyclic on a flybarless heli, unlike the tail of a heli which now work in head holding/lock mode.

The KK2 board can be remotely switched between manual mode (no electronic assistance) to stabilize (gyros) to auto-level (gyro plus accelerometers) either via two 2-position switches or preferably a single 3-way switch.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:27 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Just so I am clear - auto level and auto stab can run at the same time?
Absolutely - and you can switch one or the other, or both in a large variety of means. You can put both on a 3-position switch, for instance and have a combination of OFF - Stab only and Stab + Autolevel.
Personally I have them on completely different channels.

Love that Hawk micro EDF

Quote:
hs,
For heading hold you either need an integrating gyro or a magnetometer.
The KK2 board has no mag, so you'd have to try careful adjustment of the Yaw gyro I-term to get a kind of heading hold.
But really - that is not what it's for. It's a stabiliser, not an auto-pilot.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays