HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
789 Posts
just noticed the 3 pos switch inst., with er9x you can put the off position in the middle detent. this is going to be great thanks happy i'm so happy.

michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
789 Posts
hey happysundays,
yes eepe is an eeprom editor as well. yea, i'd like to have that splash screen. i don't have one cause most look cheesy but, that's cool. sounds like you attached the lead by soldering to the various pads. don't know if you know about it but s_mack designed a b/light programmer unit that doesn't solder, it uses (my terminology is incorrect here) pogo or arms that touch the pads under pressure and you just screw it down. supossedly more eff light than h/k's for $40. works well from all the comments but he has developed a drop in little board no soldering or the other mods needed to do the frysky mod. i don't know if your familiar with it it's called "TelemetrEZ". LAST TIME I CHECKED HE WAS REAL CLOSE AND TOLD ME HE WAS SHOOTING FOR EITHER $20 OR $25 (damn caps).
i woulde rather have the 3pos switch with off in the middle detent or the id1 position. id0 is at the top position. the middle being id1 and the bottom being id2 in er9x that's what the're called. with er9x i can make id0 or the middle detent be the off and either one of the others whichever i want. you open source developers sure make life enjoyable for some of us technically challenged guys. i've got three guardian 2d 3d units and the same company made the 3 axis mems and i think the acc that are in the guardian. i think this is going to be at least as good as that thing is and better.
once you get you head wrapped around erazz's f/ware it gets pretty easy. probably is for you anyway, your probably not as challenged as some of us droolers are.
my radio will let me map the signal to the 3 pos switch to a vr knob and it's source will be dependant on the position of the 3 way switch, that way i have adjustable gain in either mode, if the firmware will do that, does anyone know or i can wait till my board comes in.
yeah happy sunday i'd be happy to use that screen. just let me know how to get it

thank again,
michael clyde
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:10 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
hey happysundays,
yes eepe is an eeprom editor as well. yea, i'd like to have that splash screen. i don't have one cause most look cheesy but, that's cool.
Attached

Edit: RCGroups kept breaking the image so I zipped it up for safety.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Last edited by HappySundays; Aug 09, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:33 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
789 Posts
thanks hs
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:35 AM
Who put that tree there?!?!
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Jan 2011
419 Posts
whats advantage does this FW have over the original updated kk2 FW?
jabu32 is offline Find More Posts by jabu32
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabu32 View Post
whats advantage does this FW have over the original updated kk2 FW?
OpenAero2 is customised for *aeroplane* stabilization and has quite a lot more features to do so than KK2.
  1. You'll also find a lot less servo jitter as OE2 synchronises its output to the transmitter.
  2. You can completely customise how you want both autolevel and stability switching to be handled.
  3. You can map any input to any output, in any amount or polarity.
  4. Stabilise any output with any or all sensors.
  5. Settings specifically for camera stability operation.
  6. Preset aeroplane and flying wing mix settings
  7. Continually updated status screen with battery info.
  8. A lost model alarm that goes off after 1 minute of no activity

That's all that spring to mind...

Future versions will have a built-in RC mixer and more camera stability options.
Also, I tend to add in requested features fairly frequently
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
OpenAero2 is customised for *aeroplane* stabilization and has quite a lot more features to do so than KK2.
  1. You'll also find a lot less servo jitter as OE2 synchronises its output to the transmitter.
  2. You can completely customise how you want both autolevel and stability switching to be handled.
  3. You can map any input to any output, in any amount or polarity.
  4. Stabilise any output with any or all sensors.
  5. Settings specifically for camera stability operation.
  6. Preset aeroplane and flying wing mix settings
  7. Continually updated status screen with battery info.
  8. A lost model alarm that goes off after 1 minute of no activity

That's all that spring to mind...

Future versions will have a built-in RC mixer and more camera stability options.
Also, I tend to add in requested features fairly frequently
Gps & return to home will be nice to add

Tchuss

E_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:36 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Just a thought for those having catastrophic failures during flight...

Now that I have my KK2 fitted to my AXN Floater with ESC plus four servos, I see that a BESC is absolutely required.
Any attempt to move all four servos at once without a dedicated supply for the servos crashes the board.
This can cause the board to do odd things which may include sending inappropriate pulses to the servos and motors...

Once a BESC was installed, and the +5V for M2 to M8 disconnected from the KK2 board again, it seems to work fine.

I realise that kapteinkuk warned about this but just so you know, if you're using servos, it's a requirement.

Here's my AXN Floater with KK2 board fitted. Board size is fine, but the servo plugs and cables are a little tall for the canopy as they run along the sides.

Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:13 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,999 Posts
I can see you use CPMM from aux input

This means you have a free 1 serial port tx & rx

So, ready for gps?

Tchuss

E_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:24 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,238 Posts
Quote:
J

...Once a BESC was installed, and the +5V for M2 to M8 disconnected from the KK2 board again, it seems to work fine...
Just a thought here;
Wouldn't jumper-cables from the +5V and gnd RX-inputs to M1 do the same thing?
And why disconnect M1 - M2?

Havenīt noticed any problems during my ground testing, with 4 ds-65s connected to KK2 and two more from the RX for flaps, but better be safe than opening up another CA-bottle.

Hopefully KK let's us have the schematic soon, and that'll put an end to my guesswork.

Anyway, 'til then, I'll run with an extra power input, and probably add a capacitor to smoothen any spikes.

Flight ready now. If only those damn soccer-players could get off my field.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Aug 11, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:40 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Just a thought here;
Wouldn't jumper-cables from the +5V and gnd RX-inputs to M1 do the same thing?
And why disconnect M1 - M2?
The problem is that the CPU uses a basic RC filter from M1 to get 5V.
Any ripple on that line crashes it.
If you split M1 and M2 and add a BESC to M2 to M8 the servos then have no affect on the CPU power.
The CPU power comes from the motor ESC on M1 which is not a source of interference.

I actually had heavy jumpers under the board between the RX side and M1 and it still crashed.

Quote:
Hopefully KK let's us have the schematic soon, and that'll put an end to my guesswork.
I have a copy of the schematic, so I can see that the CPU supply is the issue.
I also suspect that the problem lies partly with the ground or power tracks on the PCB itself

My AXN and new 9x radio are ready too but it's blowing a gale here in Sydney
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Just a thought for those having catastrophic failures during flight...

Now that I have my KK2 fitted to my AXN Floater with ESC plus four servos, I see that a BESC is absolutely required.
Any attempt to move all four servos at once without a dedicated supply for the servos crashes the board.
This can cause the board to do odd things which may include sending inappropriate pulses to the servos and motors...

Once a BESC was installed, and the +5V for M2 to M8 disconnected from the KK2 board again, it seems to work fine.

I realise that kapteinkuk warned about this but just so you know, if you're using servos, it's a requirement.

Here's my AXN Floater with KK2 board fitted. Board size is fine, but the servo plugs and cables are a little tall for the canopy as they run along the sides.

Interesting...

What ESC are you running and the continuous rating of your ESC's internal BEC?

What BEC are you now powering the servos with and its continuous rating?

Most plane ESC's internal BEC typically have a low continuous rating which could now cause brown-outs or glitches now the gyros are working the servos harder.

Where space is limiting, a capacitor on the power bus could help smooth out most small ripples and reduce KK2 glitches.

Ultimately, as recommended, a dedicated higher continuous rating BEC will resolve the glitches when the gyros are working the servos hard.
rceccleston is online now Find More Posts by rceccleston
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:19 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
789 Posts
i thought i had seen a "nomenclature or terminology definitions " list someplace, but can't locate it now. i know what an
1) esc
2) bec
3) ubec - ubec - "ultimate" bec (actually a brand name that is no longer around) and ubec - "universal" bec
but what is a
4) besc?
sorry if i'm missing the forest

michael clyde

i like that feature list, at least those that sprang to mind
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rceccleston View Post
Interesting...
What ESC are you running and the continuous rating of your ESC's internal BEC?
I have one HK blue ESC for the motor and I think its BEC claims to be 1A, however most ESC deigns I have seen have been designed by people with no hardware background and are lucky to provide half of that (I'm looking at you HK SS series )

Quote:
What BEC are you now powering the servos with and its continuous rating?
I am using a 5A switching BEC.

Quote:
Most plane ESC's internal BEC typically have a low continuous rating which could now cause brown-outs or glitches now the gyros are working the servos harder.
Where space is limiting, a capacitor on the power bus could help smooth out most small ripples and reduce KK2 glitches.
Well here's the thing, the exact same hardware does not cause a KK or KK plus board to reset. You have to understand that it's not just voltage droop but current flowing through the board that upsets the KK2. They share ground paths if you connect them together. It's not the updated BEC that helps, but the separation of 5V rails. This way, servo current does not influence the KK2 board itself.

The CPU has a 10uF tantalum and 2.2ohm resistor as a filter but still fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
i thought i had seen a "nomenclature or terminology definitions " list someplace, but can't locate it now. i know what an
1) esc
2) bec
3) ubec - ubec - "ultimate" bec (actually a brand name that is no longer around) and ubec - "universal" bec
but what is a
4) besc?
sorry if i'm missing the forest
michael clyde
i like that feature list, at least those that sprang to mind
Nah it was me being a retard. This is the first time I've used a BEC.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
789 Posts
i like tards, i feel more at home.
i was just wondering something, you living in australia that close to mr hobbyking, what's he gonna say when he discovers what you've done to his beloved turnigy th9x, i guess if he's got a lick of sense he's done it too.

thanks for clearing that up, i'm afraid to ASS-U-ME anything anymore

michael clyde