HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:40 AM
Master of Flash
LazyZero's Avatar
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Just read the warning about having to do a factory reset when you go back to the KK firmware. I haven't tried myself but apparently you get a blank screen until you do the reset.
I think Rolf had to strip a lot out to get these changes in.
The interesting thing is that EEPROM should be erased when flashing firmware. I'll check how to make it more smooth.
LazyZero is online now Find More Posts by LazyZero
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:53 AM
Sweden
tvbcom's Avatar
Sweden, Stockholm County, Djur
Joined Apr 2012
148 Posts
I downloaded the sourcecode but it says one file is missing (menu_camstab.c)
I also reflashed my KK2 and it looks fine, will start to do some test.
Regarding going back to Rolfs code I stored the eepromfile and then put that back then its fine. (Well, I am using AVR studio 4 where you have the eeprom read & write)

Source code:
For those interested in the code, you can see it at the following repo. Just bear in mind that it's a bit preliminary yet There is a long way to go before it is mature.

https://nextcopterplus.googlecode.co...runk/OpenAero2
tvbcom is offline Find More Posts by tvbcom
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:14 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
HappySundays's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom View Post
I downloaded the sourcecode but it says one file is missing (menu_camstab.c)
Oops. That file is not currently used. Just delete the file from the project file list and it should compile. I'll fix it ASAP.

Update: fixed.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Last edited by HappySundays; Aug 09, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:43 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom View Post
I downloaded the sourcecode but it says one file is missing (menu_camstab.c)
I also reflashed my KK2 and it looks fine, will start to do some test.
Regarding going back to Rolfs code I stored the eepromfile and then put that back then its fine. (Well, I am using AVR studio 4 where you have the eeprom read & write)

Source code:
For those interested in the code, you can see it at the following repo. Just bear in mind that it's a bit preliminary yet There is a long way to go before it is mature.

https://nextcopterplus.googlecode.co...runk/OpenAero2
Risky stuff ... to restore the eeprom ... you don't know if the configuration parameter have a different structure between the two version ...

So ... better start from a reset to factory ... for be on safe side

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:45 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
HappySundays's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
The interesting thing is that EEPROM should be erased when flashing firmware. I'll check how to make it more smooth.
oh hold on - the tester didn't use your flash tool.
So maybe there is no problem?
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:55 AM
Sweden
tvbcom's Avatar
Sweden, Stockholm County, Djur
Joined Apr 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Risky stuff ... to restore the eeprom ... you don't know if the configuration parameter have a different structure between the two version ...

So ... better start from a reset to factory ... for be on safe side

Tchuss

e_lm_70
I think its a missunderstanding here.
When programmed the KK2 with OpenAero2 and after going BACK to KKs version from which I stored the eeprom I restore it. So its not another version of firmware.
tvbcom is offline Find More Posts by tvbcom
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:00 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom View Post
I think its a missunderstanding here.
When programmed the KK2 with OpenAero2 and after going BACK to KKs version from which I stored the eeprom I restore it. So its not another version of firmware.
Sorry ... I did not follow all the messages ...

YES ... totally correct ... if you switch back an for ... from Aero2 to KK2.0 firmware ... you need to not only change-restore the FLASH, but as well the EEPROM ... else you need to reconfigure from stretch again.

That's the beauty to use proper tools ... not tools that hide too much stuffs ... even the essential one for understand the basic ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:11 AM
Master of Flash
LazyZero's Avatar
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
That's the beauty to use proper tools ... not tools that hide too much stuffs ... even the essential one for understand the basic ...
There where in the past not the need to store and restore EEPROM, because only 3-4 values where stored in EEPROM in the kapteinKuk and Minsoo flasvours of the firmware. And for kapteinKuk 4.5-4.7 firmware there is a Tab to edit the EEPROM and write it back to the controller.

If there is now the need for such a feature I can add it. But nobody made a feature request now.

Christian
LazyZero is online now Find More Posts by LazyZero
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:17 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
There where in the past not the need to store and restore EEPROM, because only 3-4 values where stored in EEPROM in the kapteinKuk and Minsoo flasvours of the firmware. And for kapteinKuk 4.5-4.7 firmware there is a Tab to edit the EEPROM and write it back to the controller.

If there is now the need for such a feature I can add it. But nobody made a feature request now.

Christian
Maybe making a total back up ,, and total restore (Flash + Eeprom + Fuse bits) ... can be a good idea.

Problem with back up ... is that some firmware are read protected in different way ... so not sure you can always detect if the backup is valid or not ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Is your tools code open ?
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:26 AM
Master of Flash
LazyZero's Avatar
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
You never visited my homepage?
http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool

Indeed full backup is a problem, but as I have nearly every available or available in the past firmware in the repository the firmware itself should not be a problem. Concerning fuses, nowerdays it also should be no problem because there is no real need to change them.
For EEPROM it could really be nice to have a backup. I will add it to the tool this evening.

Best Christian

Christian
LazyZero is online now Find More Posts by LazyZero
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:33 AM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
You never visited my homepage?
http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool

Indeed full backup is a problem, but as I have nearly every available or available in the past firmware in the repository the firmware itself should not be a problem. Concerning fuses, nowerdays it also should be no problem because there is no real need to change them.
For EEPROM it could really be nice to have a backup. I will add it to the tool this evening.

Best Christian

Christian
I did visit your page long time ago

About Fuse ... I don't know if this is a bug on eXtreme Burner ... but if I want to flash with SimonK FW, some ESC from HobbyKing ... I have to change some fuse bit ...

As well .. fuse bit ... can change the behaviour of the CPU ... so ... maybe a mayor different FW may need this ... but ... play with fuse bit is a risky operation ... so ... not sure you want this in the hands of your users

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:42 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
HappySundays's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
There where in the past not the need to store and restore EEPROM, because only 3-4 values where stored in EEPROM in the kapteinKuk and Minsoo flasvours of the firmware. And for kapteinKuk 4.5-4.7 firmware there is a Tab to edit the EEPROM and write it back to the controller.

If there is now the need for such a feature I can add it. But nobody made a feature request now.

Christian
Not sure of the exact number but OE2 uses several hundred bytes of EEPROM I think it's easy enough to edit via the LCD or at least do a factory reset.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:51 AM
Master of Flash
LazyZero's Avatar
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Not sure of the exact number but OE2 uses several hundred bytes of EEPROM I think it's easy enough to edit via the LCD or at least do a factory reset.
But maybe it is nice for lazy people ;-)

Maybe we should move the flashtool discussion to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...526042&page=34
LazyZero is online now Find More Posts by LazyZero
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:41 AM
Registered User
knutek's Avatar
Norge, Finnmark, Alta
Joined Dec 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
oh hold on - the tester didn't use your flash tool.
So maybe there is no problem?
I used beta 12 of the tool..,,
knutek is offline Find More Posts by knutek
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:24 AM
Master of Flash
LazyZero's Avatar
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
and switching back to kk2 V1.1 worked or not?
LazyZero is online now Find More Posts by LazyZero
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion CL-OSD a open source osd software for E-OSD and G-OSD callelj FPV Equipment 4021 Yesterday 07:48 AM
Discussion OpenAero open-source stabilisation software for KK boards HappySundays FPV Talk 1878 Jul 21, 2014 09:09 AM
Discussion NeXtcopterPlus open-source release for KK and KK+ boards HappySundays Multirotor Electronics 812 Jan 09, 2013 03:10 PM
Poll New tightly integrated, fast Open Source IMU/Autopilot board for student competitions pixhawk School Projects and Competitions 0 Aug 04, 2010 04:48 AM
Discussion Open-source foam cutting software for XP moreil The Builders Workshop 125 Sep 04, 2008 03:06 PM