HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, NC, Davidson
Joined Feb 2012
154 Posts
Help!
Piper J3 Cub - New to Nitro, need help

A friend of mine recently gave me a Piper J3 Cub RC plane (I know - a great friend!!) but I am used to flying electric so I dont know too much about what I need to get it flying.
It looks like most everything is in place - engine, fuel tank, servos, etc...I know I need some sort of battery to run the internal controls but not sure what kind I will need. Also, the engine is not froze up, so I assume it will run too.
What basic supplies will I need to get started? I have a Spektrum DX7i and receivers so I am covered there but what else will I need?
CHSNative is offline Find More Posts by CHSNative
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
You will need an RX battery, if the servos are rated for 6v you can use a 5 cell NIMH, I use LiFePo4 myself or a Lipo with a voltage regulator.

A glow plug wrench to change the plug and a glow igniter to heat the plug when starting the engine. You may or may not be able to hand prop the engine to start it so an electric starter and battery might be needed.

A fuel pump to transfer fuel into the planes tank and to empty the tank at the end of the day.

Your favorite spray cleaner and some paper towels to clean the plane after flight.

And some sort of bag/box to carry the stuff around in.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob