HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Discussion
CNC services for offer

Hey everyone I posted in the free forum a few months ago offering to do free laser cutting for people if they sent me their files. I was overwhelmed with the amount of requests and could only complete a few orders before the laser cutter got shut down by heath and safety. I can finally use it now but will not be offering any more laser cut services.

3 weeks ago I ordered my very own personal CNC machine from ebay: http://www.vladcazan.com/blog/my-cnc-experience

I am now all set up and ready to go and I can do small run productions for people. I Wont be doing it for free any more as a CNC is alitte more complicated and thus time consuming but it wont be anywhere near the prices that huge CNC houses charge. Materials can be purchased by me or shipped to me by the customer.

What I need from you in order to get something cut is a DXF file with all vectors properly linked. (I can do some final editing work with my software but I only work with vector files or DXF files.)

I can cut wood, balsa, MDF, acrylic, and have been starting to cut 1/8th aluminium. PM me for any other issues or email me and cazanv @gmail.com
vcazan is offline Find More Posts by vcazan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Just finished my first order for boaterguy on this forum. It was a stuffing tube support for a boat he was working on. It was cut from 1.5mm CF. I will next be cutting some aluminium motor mounts for quad copters.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Very nice. Can you cut 3D (or 2.5D) foam like EPS or Depron ?
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
What / who shut you down??
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
Very nice. Can you cut 3D (or 2.5D) foam like EPS or Depron ?
I am only doing 2D currently but depending on the cut I will be able to offer 2.5D cutting.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliwill10 View Post
What / who shut you down??
Health and safety department at my university. But that was a few months ago, both my laser and cnc are operational although I am only offering CNC cuts currently.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Any way you can cut 1/2" aluminum?
Magnasanti is offline Find More Posts by Magnasanti
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
I'll bet you were completely unsafe, killing war veterans and kittens in your free service and the shutdown was completely justified, right?

I hate safety wowsers who ruin a good service. It sucks you're not able to offer laser cuts, but I'm very interested in your CNC. Do you offer service to internationals? I'm from Australia and wouldn't mind some custom cut outs from a fellow RC Groupie.
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:50 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Since Vcazan can't do laser cuts anymore, if someone needs stuff cut out I can laser it. just PM me what you have in mind.
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRoo View Post
I'll bet you were completely unsafe, killing war veterans and kittens in your free service and the shutdown was completely justified, right?

I hate safety wowsers who ruin a good service. It sucks you're not able to offer laser cuts, but I'm very interested in your CNC. Do you offer service to internationals? I'm from Australia and wouldn't mind some custom cut outs from a fellow RC Groupie.
Yes I can do international orders no problem. Just PM me with your requests.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4 Posts
CNC questions

I am thinking of building a CNC machine to cut balsa and lite ply. Can the CNC machine handle 1/16" lite ply? What is your experiences cutting this type of wood? Do I need some sort of backing on the wood so the CNC router doesn't go through the wood? Here is the cnc I am building: http://buildyourcnc.com/cnckitintro.aspx

I also wanted to know if you cut thin woods like 1/16" balsa, would it be better to use a laser?
pirit4 is offline Find More Posts by pirit4
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:22 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,769 Posts
I routinely CNC materials down to .040" thick. 1/16 ply is no problem.

I usually 3m77 these to either MDF or thin foam sheets for hold down while cutting. The foam or MDF acts as a spoilboard. Fanfold insulation works quite well for this and is cheaper than dimensional depron.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRoo View Post

I live near JPL in VA. Osha once shut down a NASA vacuum chamber citing it as a hazard, they claimed that once the atmo was restored in the chamber that someone walking in might walk into a vacuum pocket and suffocate.

It's sad but true.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker