Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Discussion
V-tail to aileron mixing?

Hi guys,

I've got a v-tail plane here that I've set up, but I want to add a v tail to aileron mix.

Now does the right v tail surface go up if the right aileron goes up? The manual here says they need to move in opposite directions which seems like it would be counter-productive! Any help appreciated.

At ghe moment if I bank right and the right aileron goes up so does the right v tail surface, is that right?

For elevator both v tail surfaces move up for up and Down for down. For rudder the both go in different directions.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:40 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi guys,

I've got a v-tail plane here that I've set up, but I want to add a v tail to aileron mix.

Now does the right v tail surface go up if the right aileron goes up? The manual here says they need to move in opposite directions which seems like it would be counter-productive! Any help appreciated.

At ghe moment if I bank right and the right aileron goes up so does the right v tail surface, is that right?

For elevator both v tail surfaces move up for up and Down for down. For rudder the both go in different directions.
If you're trying for the equivalent of an aileron-rudder mix, you want them opposite. Right aileron goes up, right wing down. You want a bit of right yaw, so right ruddervator has to go down/right, and left ruddervator up/right. Pitch forces cancel out, leaving a right yaw force.

If you were thinking trying to use the v tail to assist roll, ie moving in the same sense as the ailerons, I expect you'd get some pretty nasty adverse yaw.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,448 Posts
Yep for the mix you ask they need to be opposite to aileron Think about it. If you roll right your right aileron is up, which pushes that wing down. If the tails went up as well they are going to try and yaw the plane in the opposite direction of the roll.

And for rudder they need to be opposite.

It helps if you try and visualise the air moving over the wings and tail and what effect deflecting a surface will have on that air, then the surface moves opposite to that.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,110 Posts
The manual is right.
The easiest to remember is turning each V-tail half vertical, like a rudder post. You will notice each moving surface will turn right when you apply right rudder.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Last edited by AeroNut45; Aug 08, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Thanks fellas, I'll rectify it today!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:58 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Ok, now when the right aileron goes up, the right v-tail goes down and the left goes up and vice versa for the left side. Left aileron goes up, the left taileron ( I made that word up ) goes down.

Is this right?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:04 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Its called a ruddervator , the best idea to get it straight was a couple of post back up . Think about each side of the stabilizer upright in a fin position now if you apply a right turn your port aileron will go down and your now rudder will turn right . Does that help
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Ok, now when the right aileron goes up, the right v-tail goes down and the left goes up and vice versa for the left side. Left aileron goes up, the left taileron ( I made that word up ) goes down.

Is this right?
Taileron is used to refer to a horizontal tail that has differential movement for roll control, eg most fighters with all moving tails (known as stabilators because there is no separate stab and elevator). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilator
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
But as they are V tails and used to induce Yaw not roll they are ruddervators
http://aviationglossary.com/ruddervator/
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:07 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
But as they are V tails and used to induce Yaw not roll they are ruddervators
http://aviationglossary.com/ruddervator/
Certainly are, as per post #2
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:37 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Its called a ruddervator , the best idea to get it straight was a couple of post back up . Think about each side of the stabilizer upright in a fin position now if you apply a right turn your port aileron will go down and your now rudder will turn right . Does that help
Yep got it! Thanks heaps everyone !

I may even maiden it this arvo if the wind dies down a little.