SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by aerophilia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:02 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Discussion
Precious Metal P-51 from Top Flite ARC

I managed to stumble across a Top Flite almost ready to cover kit around 15 months ago. It was just what I was looking for to convert to electric. Great kit, great size, perfect. I had been following Ron101's thread which has a heap of great info and tips on putting this bird together with an electric setup.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947776

My original plan was to build a Reno Racer, Cloud Dancer as I quite liked the scheme, and it didn't require any major modifications to the airframe to get it looking right. Then I saw scatsob's thread on making a Contra-rotating Spitfire
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518987
He did some amazing work to a relatively cheap hobby king motor to turn it from an average motor to a great motor. Well, one thing led to another and after a few PM's he agreed to modify another one for me! I couldn't believe my luck. He has done an amazing job putting it together.

So the realisation of being able to build Precious Metal became a reality. This is where I will update my build progress over the next few months............
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:32 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
So the first thing to do was fix the wing. After reading Ron's upgrades to the retract area, I went back through the RCU thread to find a major upgrade to the Shear web between 3 ribs around the retract area. I ended up replacing the shear web as well as adding more ply to the retract bay for strength as well as some glass.

RCU post detailing shear web replacement, about half way down the page
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...51/key_/tm.htm

Ron's detail on upgrading the retract bay
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=320
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:44 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
While the glue was drying on the wing, I decided to start to have a look at the modifications I need to do to the fuse.

They are
Canopy and fuse behind canopy
Enlarge vertical stab
Make new cowl to accommodate motor
Modify the fuse behind the scoop.

The easiest step at this stage was the vertical stab.

On a lot of the modified P-51's for racing the vertical stab is much taller than original. So I have added some balsa to enlarge this area. It's going to take a bit of sanding, but I'm hoping the new and old sections will blend in nicely.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Well I got a little bit of sanding done on the tail today. Needs a bit more work, but it's starting to take shape.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:44 PM
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Sep 2004
111 Posts
Curious if you have made any new progress on the PM build?? I am fixing to start on a Hangar9 Conversion to Red Baron using the HK Contra setup..

Rick
Thavillan is offline Find More Posts by Thavillan
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:45 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Not yet Rick! I will get back to it, just keep getting distracted by easier stuff.

I did decide to recover the wings in the bright green scheme. I've purchased the film but haven't got any further. Have also found a place locally that can pull a canopy from a plug I make.

Would love to see some pics of yours.

Which motor did you buy? I had a lot of work done to mine by scatsob here on rcgroups. His build thread and all the info on what he did to the motors is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518987
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2004
111 Posts
I am goign to use the same HK motor setup. The Hangar9 mustang is about thesame size as the Spit he was putting together.. I am shooting for something coming out around 14-15lbs range.. I will keep updating as my progress goes..

What size TF ARC is yours? 60 size or the 1/5 scale??

Rick
Last edited by Thavillan; Jan 05, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:09 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Mine is the 82inch wingspan, so I'm just a little bit concerned about how well the motor will pull the plane around. I have no doubt it will fly, it just might not be a Reno racer! If its not fast enough, I might have to get the big himax contra motor, I think it spins 19x12 props.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2004
111 Posts
Yea, the Hangar9 is 80" so it is a little larger than the ESM Spit (74").No one makes a mid 70" span Mustang that I have found that is a builtup fuse. I too am looking at the Himaxx 63mm setup.. The 80" H9 uses a 5" spinner so that will look kind of skimpy with a 16" 3 blade setup.. On the otherhand the E conversion for the H9 is the Power 160 which is a 2700 watt power plant which is what the HK contra setup produces... I will more than likely wait till the plane comes in and see how "Big" it looks and make a motor decision then..

Rick
Last edited by Thavillan; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:48 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
I know, the 16" prop will most likely do the job, it will just look silly

Have been toying around with testing 18x10 props to see what happens to the amps. With the 16x10 we are well within the amp specs. I have 2 problems with that though 1. cost, 3 bladed pusher props aren't that easy to find in that size and they're normally expensive. Especially if they don't work out! 2. I'd need to modify the prop hub to fit my setup, as it has been designed to fit the MAS props exactly.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Sounds like your wingspan is only a little bit smaller than mine. Man, you will be doing well to keep it around 14-15 pounds! I'm hoping mine is close to 20 once it's all done. But I'm expecting it to be a little higher with the mods I'm doing.

Let me know if you start a build thread, and I'll come along for the ride!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2004
111 Posts
After doing some scouring trying to find matching 18" 3 blades in both tractor and pusher config for propping the large Himaxx.. Pretty slim pickens in that size range.... Wonder how the Hobby King contra setup would work in a 60 size 65" span mustang.. 2700-3000 watts in a 65" span plane might be interesting .. The 65" span mustang uses the Eflite power 90 which is a 1800 watt setup....Hmmm

Rick
Last edited by Thavillan; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:37 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
It would be awesome! For a little while anyway I just think the AUW might be a bit too much for something that size. Even the ESM at around 71" would be pushing it. I'll see how the top flite kit goes, and if I think it's underpowered, I'll consider putting this setup into an esm kit. If the kit can handle the weight, I reckon it would be pretty awesome.

But for now, I'm playing it safe.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2004
111 Posts
I think the H9 at 80" span and 1100 squares would handle the weight better as well.. Comaparing specs it is smaller than the TF by a little.

TF 1/5 --------------------- ----- Hangar9

84.5" Span --------------------- 80" Span
1245 Sqare inch ------------------ 1100 Square inch
17.5-19 lbs weight --------------- 15-17 lbs
72.5" long --------------------- 68.25" long

Looks like the H9 will be the one. Since the entire nose has to be redone for the contra setup I might fudge the spinner diameter down a little, from 5" to 4.5", to make the 16" prop look larger..

Rick
Old May 05, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
111 Posts
Any progress on PM?

I have started my bash on the H9 P-51 into the Red Baron.. Cockpit opening is filled, turtledeck is made and the vertical fin is roughed out so far..
Last edited by Thavillan; May 05, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old May 05, 2013, 10:04 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,119 Posts
Haven't got any further on mine yet. But seeing mark rittingers smaller version, has given me some motivation to get back on it!! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782541

That plus a YouTube video of a black horse models Westland wyvern flying with the big himax contra motor have me pretty excited about the possibilities!

Yours is looking great. The turtledeck is looking very cool.

I'm just finishing off a foam p40, then this is back on the bench.