Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:54 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
OK so price has a big part to play but I can't get that old saying out of my head...

" buy cheap, buy twice"

A.
I agree with the saying, but price had nothing to do with my decisions.

I started with a Hitec 6 about 7 years ago because it was what a trusted person sold me, and I love Hitec gear and service!

When the 2.4 system hit the market, it was a Spektrum product, and HH has been a fantastic company for me, as well.

So, price never "knowingly" played a part for me.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
I can see why Americans want to buy Spektrum for reasons of patriotism, but living on the other side of the pond I feel no such emotion when it comes to buying my R/C systems. My prime reason for using Futaba is for reliability, I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with any Futaba original gear over 32 years of use. I have had a few of my own making but that's another story. The amount I've saved in not crashing over the past 3 decades has more than made up for the extra it has cost me in the initial investment.

A.
Patriotism?
I drive a Mercedes and a Honda ---
Most of us , buy which product does the best job for us -at a price which is in line with the results required.
Be a house, car or a hobby product.
The only real failure with my DX8 -is that I had to put a tag on it to identify it at busy days at the fields.
( my Honda also falls into this camp- - there are three indentical ones in the neighborhood.)
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:56 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Oh, like Richard, I drive two German cars: Audi and Mercedes.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:59 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
It does seem that Spektrum users own an unusually high number of transmitters. I only find it necessary (well I really mean desirable) to have a new one approximately every 7 or 8 years.

A
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:03 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
I own my original Hitec Optic 6, now with a Hitec Spectra module, a DX 8, a JR X9303 and a Hitec A 9: I use the Hitec system ONLY for the voice/voltage telemetry in large models-old eyes can't look down.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,835 Posts
Flew and drove Futaba for ver 20 years, switched to Hitec with the A9 when I went 2.4. 2 years with the Aurora so far, no lockouts, lost planes, crashes or anything radio related.

Dumb thumbs are another story entirely....

I looked at Spectrum when I was making the 2.4 leap, it was tempting. Solved that temptation the first time I held one in my hands. Very underwhelming feel even on the DX8, not to mention "aura" they had accumulated by then....
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:15 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Sounds like you were "more" interested in engineering/design and "features," not price, rather the way I decided.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
When I started this hobby back up around 2 years ago, I pulled out my old faithful Futaba FF6 on 35MHz. Got myself up to speed while having a few good glitches here and there.

I started to move over to electric, glitches got worse and realised I really had to think about investing in a new radio. Also I found it very irritating that Futaba never included a timer in the FF6.

Originally I thought about DX6i as Spektrum is what everyone down at the field had, but I knew I would run into its limitation of lack of channels, mixes and model memory fairly soon. So at the time I was looking at the DX7i. It was announced but the release date kept being pushed back and back. So next the logical choice was a DX8i (Futaba/Multiplex/Grapuner receivers were too expensive and the original Eclipse 7 was too antiquated with an appalling screen) - however someone suggested down the field to take a look at the A9.

So I did. Do you know what won me over? A couple of things, firstly that the receivers were reasonably priced and not only had telementry built in, but the main factor was that the Telemetry protocol was already reversed engineered. Seriously, that's how I made my decision! I have to say, I did gulp a bit when I paid 280 (~$438) for it+9ch receiver combo . SWMBO was not too impressed - especially as she thought I was off to spend ~120 on a Tx...

Anyway I'm glad of my decision. Even though it really does annoy me that Hitec still haven't got the timers sorted on the A9 yet. It feels that Hitec have decided that the A9 development is finished and they're off to work on the next product.

I was looking at the Spektrum kit at a show a couple of weeks ago, I am really not impressed with the cheap looking silver plastic finish that Spektrum Tx use. It looks like the silver finish you get on cheap Chinese electronics off eBay - the one that flakes off after a couple days use. Also as others have said, the ergonomics of the Spektrum line is a bit below par imo.

At the time I didn't know about the FlySky 9x - if I did, I may have bought one (or even a couple) of them. Especially as there is a lot more to play in software with them!

Now I'm off in the next couple of days to buy a Futaba 8J - not to actually fly with, but actually just to play with, take apart and reverse engineer. However I'm dead interested to see how it compares to the Hitec A9. Especially as at 220 (~$344) for an 8J+receiver combo, its very competitively priced against the DX8/A9/XG8/etc.

I really can see, even though I've seen a lot of people moan about Futaba coming out with another protocol, some of the old 'die hard' Futaba fans down on the field still on 35MHz will be moving to the Futaba 6J/8J. Especially as both the transmitters and receivers are 'reasonably' priced (as OEM Futaba receivers go). Also the 6J is competitively priced as an entry level transmitter (even with its rubbish screen) that I can see a lot of model shops selling to new fliers - especially if they are die hard Futaba fans who dislike Spektrum.

Now I'm interested to see if Hitec will update their out of date Optic 6. The screen on it and the user experience is pretty rubbish to modern standards. Plus the styling is very out of date. I see the entry level 6 channel transmitters as very important - especially in the 2.4Ghz world, as it sets the new flyer on the path of a particular brand equipment. From experience speaking to fliers down the patch, on forums and at shows, it seems that brand loyalty is very strong with the RC transmitter market.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,381 Posts
Hey SimonChamber have you take a look to the 8fg Super. Is a 14 channel FASST, multi. Not hfss like 8j. Also they are cheap option on RX for fasst system you can use FrSky or Corona fasst compatible in the range of $20 - $30 and very good ones they have a big line from 4 ch micro connectors upt to 14ch sbus system and up.

Since i have lots of fasst recivers i get my 8fg for $300 without rx. Exellent deal on a new reliable tx.

I dont like too much the 8j because is an entry level tx. Still a futaba reliable but not like the 8fg. Also compatible reciver are made for fasst ststem and not for hfss so for the 8j you need oem rx at least for now.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I thought Round 1 started several years ago. I figure we're up to Round 32766 now.

Andy
You missed 2 of them which caused the counter to roll.

redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Did you know that Spektrum originated 2.4 for our use?
You are correct, but I wasn't speaking about 2.4 technology I was speaking about the entire radio system. It was a comment directed towards Spektrum's ergonomics.

Quote:
Futaba brought out their version sometime later -
The choices they made in hardware, led them into the "stew" of operating protocols they now offer.
No argument. Futaba has made a mess of the 2.4 lineup with all the product fragmentation. I would hope with the 18MZ they would work to retool the product road map to simplify things. I would love to buy a 8J but i am not going to if that means the upgrade path is 18MZ.

Quote:
As for satellites - They would offer em if they could . Do their systems work?
Of course - -even the $29.95 stuff works.- check it out -
Getting a 2.4 setup to have good reception is RC 101.
Problem is- too many users never got past kindergarten.
As you noted innovation is the key here - Spektrum simply ran away with this part of the 2.4 market.
Speculation. I would argue the opposite, that Spektrum would remove satellites if they could, to reduce cost. Being this is a matter of opinion we can just leave it alone. It is amazing at the number of people who dont pass RC 101. To be fair, I have seen planes pile driven into the ground from both systems loosing link. Its amazing how many people take this for granted. Add to the mix Chinese clones, and the conversation about RF Quality quickly gets muddled.

I would argue that the Futaba's SBus innovation has been significant. Granted Spektrum has really nailed it with ease of use, model match, and telemetry. However I think Futaba has been innovating in other areas. Maybe SBus is a gimmick, but it seems nice.

In the end I am grateful for Spektrum entering the market because JR/Futaba/Hitec really seemed to be stagnating in their offerings up to that point.

My only reason I am not in a rush to buy a Spektrum product, is I just dont like how the product feels in my hands, but technically it is a good offering.

redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
I own both. I can't comment really on the Futaba as it's more than 20 years old, it does still function so that says something about it's construction and components.

I do currently fly with a Spektrum DX8 and I have mixed feelings on it. It doesn't play well with the cheap HK orange rx's even when used with a satellite. I have purchased an AR400 to which it seems to love. I do like the Spektrum but compared to the weight and feel of the Futaba it is like I'm holding a cheap POS, the weight of the Futaba makes it feel better. I realize there are many size differences between the two as far as components go as well as technology and design and construction materials have changed a ton in 20 years so that is not really a valid comparison point between the two.

I do like having the full LCD display on the DX8, it is a very nice feature. I like how Spektrum has a model select failsafe.

I'm not adverse to using products other than Spektrum, at the time I purchased my radio it was about all I could afford, I picked it up used for a really fair price.

I am firmly considering going to FrSky in the near future.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; Aug 09, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
You are correct, but I wasn't speaking about 2.4 technology I was speaking about the entire radio system. It was a comment directed towards Spektrum's ergonomics.

No argument. Futaba has made a mess of the 2.4 lineup with all the product fragmentation. I would hope with the 18MZ they would work to retool the product road map to simplify things. I would love to buy a 8J but i am not going to if that means the upgrade path is 18MZ.

Speculation. I would argue the opposite, that Spektrum would remove satellites if they could, to reduce cost. Being this is a matter of opinion we can just leave it alone. It is amazing at the number of people who dont pass RC 101. To be fair, I have seen planes pile driven into the ground from both systems loosing link. Its amazing how many people take this for granted. Add to the mix Chinese clones, and the conversation about RF Quality quickly gets muddled.

I would argue that the Futaba's SBus innovation has been significant. Granted Spektrum has really nailed it with ease of use, model match, and telemetry. However I think Futaba has been innovating in other areas. Maybe SBus is a gimmick, but it seems nice.

In the end I am grateful for Spektrum entering the market because JR/Futaba/Hitec really seemed to be stagnating in their offerings up to that point.

My only reason I am not in a rush to buy a Spektrum product, is I just dont like how the product feels in my hands, but technically it is a good offering.

Someone said Spektrum Txs feel "Underwhelmed" in his hands, I agree, although the word that come to my mind is "Cheesy"

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post

OK-- however the satellite is a Spektrum innovation and I think it is copyrighted - -I have both long/short/ single / dual, antenna as well as satellite types - -they all work BUT satellite has best diversity setup -which for some planes is very necessary -for reducing 'blanking of signal.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson