I own SPEKTRUM 112 43.92%
I own BOTH 44 17.25%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:34 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I am waiting for Futaba and JR to get with the program and update their existing systems with telemetry.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,381 Posts
I will never risk my airplanes on spektrum just for telemetry. They are more option, futaba have the telemetry box and FrSky have a very good telemetry.

In fact i dont like to take my eyes out of the aircraft for look at the tx. Also futaba have couple of tx with telemetry. Im not sure but i read somewere that my 8fg is a dual band rx/tx so a telemetry update could be in the future.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,109 Posts
Why do you assume you would need to take your eyes off the plane to benefit from telemetry and risk planes with spektrum?

There is NO need to take your eyes off your plane when you have properly setup telemetry.
The radio does alarm you with Tone and or Vibe options for all types of telemetry sensors and conditions..

My planes are constantly at risk of some sort of incident from flying, transporting and even on the wall in my house. I don't risk my planes when I fly with telemetry, infact I have eliminated the risk of flying until battery is too low. So at the end of the day, telemetry help reduce risks I used to take regardless the brand..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I am waiting for Futaba and JR to get with the program and update their existing systems with telemetry.

VP
JR's new DMSS supports telemetry, no?

Their receivers are ridiculously priced though.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SimonChambers; Aug 08, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
JR's new DMSS supports telemetry, no?

Granted their receivers are ridiculously priced.

Si.
Yes, but I would like to see the 12X and 9503 versions updated.

VP
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
Have you seen them first hand, can you see the print clearly?
RCing is offline Find More Posts by RCing
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:55 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,381 Posts
That is ok. Alarm and vibration. Also i admite that i liked the iphone telemetry for spektrum so some else can monitor my flight.

But i really dont need any telemetry i just set my timer for less time than the battery setup can hamdle. So timer berp time to go down with some extra mah available. And since the futaba timer is throtle step activated can be more precise that just a normal timer. I dont have the need to use the last mah avalable before go to low on amp. If a battery failure ocur the telemetry will tell you but wont bring back the plane.

I just love to fly and have fun with a reliable radio that i can trust my planes wont fly away
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:59 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
... I just love to fly and have fun with a reliable radio that i can trust my planes wont fly away
+1 agreed and why I have no problems with my brand of radio I use for flying.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
I use spektrum since im primarily a micro flyer, and the only company that makes quality micros at the moment is Horizon Hobby.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
I use spektrum since im primarily a micro flyer, and the only company that makes quality micros at the moment is Horizon Hobby.
Agree with the micros. That was the reason i got the dx7 last year. But my big planes is another story so spektrum may be a good choice for horizon micros. BUT flyzone have good micros too and with the anylink i cam fly them with my futaba. So too bad that horizon micros (parkzone) are only for spektrum because after sold my dx7 i think i wont ever get one again
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
I have had problems with every micro I have bought from Horizon. I was thinking of the new Carbon Cub but guess what, more problems.

VP
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
By the way, I'm totally just clowning around. I pulled the Futaba and Spektrum user profiles completely out of my keyster.

I'd rather discuss Ginger vs. Maryann!
Siunce either way you need a time machine, best include Mrs. Howell in the lineup...

CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Siunce either way you need a time machine, best include Mrs. Howell in the lineup...

Lovey!!!!!!!!!!

VP
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Agree with the micros. That was the reason i got the dx7 last year. But my big planes is another story so spektrum may be a good choice for horizon micros. BUT flyzone have good micros too and with the anylink i cam fly them with my futaba. So too bad that horizon micros (parkzone) are only for spektrum because after sold my dx7 i think i wont ever get one again
Yeah I've never tried a flyzone micro so i cant speak about them. I do know about anylink, and will probably be getting one when i purchase the micro F86 Sabre some time down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have had problems with every micro I have bought from Horizon. I was thinking of the new Carbon Cub but guess what, more problems.

VP
The micros do have their problems...especially the Carbon Cub. But, I've been fortunate enough to have working micros so far. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:20 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Let me start by saying that I have been a Spektrum user for about 5 years. I started with a DX5e, then DX6i(DSM2), and most recently (2011) a DX6i(DSMX). Previous to that I was a Hitec user for 20 years before that with 72mhz. I switched because I kept losing communications on single phase rx's and there was a lot of competition for the frequencies at my field.

I almost dumped Spektrum last June when 3 of my planes lost connections and crashed while flying in the span of 2 weeks...all using the same equipment that had been reliable for several months previously. All were DSM2 receivers, two of those were Spektrum brand and one was an HK Orange6. There was talk at our club field about microwave interference and it had affected other Spektrum users (but never Futaba users interestingly enough).

After last June I began using ONLY Spektrum brand RX's and have had no problems until last week. I was using the DSMX version of my DX6i with a Spektrum DSMX AR600 rx in my new electric HK P-38 foamie. It was maiden flight and it was hand launched. It took off quickly and rose to about 100 feet and began a left turn and then went straight up (lost all rc control) and came straight down with no power and at about 50 feet it "glitched" and lifted the nose a bit like it was trying to reconnect but then went straight down again and crashed nose first. When I got to the model it was still powered on and all of the flight surfaces operated normally! I can only assume it had no reception. Another "brown out"!

I really thought the DSMX with spread spectrum and frequency hopping abilities would be my final answer to rx connection problems. I realize that all issues can't be blamed on the Tx or the Rx but it was always JUST Spektrum TX's and RX's that were involved with connection problems...NEVER a Futaba equipped plane.

So...last month I put up most of my Specktrum equipment for sale on RC Groups...sold it cheap and bought me a Futaba 7C with one original 7 channel RX and now I have 5 FrSky 7 channel receivers too. I kept one DX6i (DSMX) transmitter to use with my son's Champ and to fly my old Blade CX2 heli. But all of my stuff that matters is switched over to Futaba now.

I have to admit that I loathed all of the Futaba snobs for years for how they carried on about their equipment. Now I ARE one!

Oh well... c'est la guerre?

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014