Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
971 Posts
Discussion
ARF Flite Streak lead-out position

I'm modding an ARF 'Streak and doing most of the recommended stuff....bush the bellcrank, beef up the nose and fuse, etc. I'm curious about the lead-outs. Is the stock leadout position OK? How about adjustable leadouts? Thanks.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
ARF Streak Leadouts

The only thing I recall specifically about the leadouts, other than that the BC platform itself seemed weak, is that the leadout wire was just way too flimsy.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
I'm modding an ARF 'Streak and doing most of the recommended stuff....bush the bellcrank, beef up the nose and fuse, etc. I'm curious about the lead-outs. Is the stock leadout position OK? How about adjustable leadouts? Thanks.
We currently have three ARF Streaks in our little group. All are using the stock leadout position and it seems to be fine. If you haven't assembled yours - a suggestion- trace the fuselage side on a piece of 1/2" balsa. It will make the replacement easier

Ours are all running on OS 25FP and two have R/C clunk tanks mounted on the inside (port side) of the fuse. Great combo!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:13 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
971 Posts
Thanks. The stock leadout cables look strong enough, but I don't like the looks of the crimped ends. I'm replacing the leadouts with new cable and wrapping the ends. I was going to make the leadout position adjustable, but it sounds like that isn't necessary.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
971 Posts
Here's what I have so far: New fuselage of 1/2 inch balsa with plywood doublers on both sides, 3/16 tail surfaces, reinforced at the fuselage joints with balsa fillets, new leadouts with wrapped ends, and home-made aluminum sheet landing gear. Power will be an ancient OS Max 25, though I do have an FP 25 and might try it later. Only a fuel tank remains, haven't decided whether to mount it inboard or outboard. Weight at this stage is 21 1/2 ounces.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:54 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
There are OS Maxes, and then there are other OS Maxes

While I would believe that an OS Max III with an 0.19 displacement would work fine, I have already tried two of the OS Max 25s that were sold in between the Max IIIs and the FPs, and I didn't think that the ones I had were adequate to hauling the ARF around the circle (I do mean that I did have those old model OS engines mounted on the plane, on two successive weekends) .

At the time, when those were current products, because they looked like the Max-S 35s. it was common to hear them referred to as "Max S" 25s, but they certainly didn't have 2/3rds worth of the 35's power output -- more like about 40% was all, I thought.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Aug 09, 2012 at 07:29 PM.