HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:10 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
e-starter night ops

Hey all,
I have a brand new e-starter that has about three hours on it and it has yet to see the light of day. We( my friend and his Tigermoth)have been flying at the local high school around ten o'clock every night. The parking lot lights give us enough visibility for flights up to about seventy five feet and a distance of approximately one hundred and fifty feet. I can't wait to fly it in the day time! I am very impressed with the e-starter. I am planning on modifying the wing by reducing the dihedral and adding flaps! We are also going to see about getting access to the gymnasium so we can avoid the chilly Southern Oregon winter.

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:19 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
I reduced the dihedral on mine to near nothing, about a 1/4 inch height difference from center of wing to the tip, and I can't tell much if any difference.
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:49 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,762 Posts
really? so, no difference even in the roll rate?
beanie is online now Find More Posts by beanie
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:57 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
the e-starter rolls pretty quick already considering the airfoil shape
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:40 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Not much difference, as headless says she rolled pretty good in the stock configuration. Now maybe if in addition to removing dihedral if I used stiffer ailerons I might see a bigger difference.
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:51 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
The stock ailerons made out of foam are actually quite stiff as long as you use enough hinges -- i now use no less than 4 dubro nylon pinned hinges per aileron, 3 on rudder, 4 on elevator. The ailerons are very very rigid with so many mountings to the wing -- my friend also has an e-starter with extra large ailerons... he glued some thin sheet balsa onto the trailing edge of his ailerons making them about 3 times as large. He can do a roll or 2 a second now, it's really very very twisted and wrong :-D
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless