HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:48 AM
The Wind Is Your Friend
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Thats awesome!!! It looks like it belongs there!!!!
EBurkart3rd is online now Find More Posts by EBurkart3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,255 Posts
Thanks EB!

Okay - they're done.

Next step: converting the trainer to a tail dragger - but that's a different thread. ;-)
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
270 Posts
I think you missed a spot on th eupper right side. Just kidding. Superb job and will be a standout on the flight line. I did not realize how little DIY goes on these days until we built and repaired a bit this year. Hopefully will motivate a few other folks like we did with our work. Not that is was particularly brilliant in of itself, but got people off the dime so to speak.
seattlebuoy is online now Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:28 PM
The Wind Is Your Friend
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Grosbeak, have you taken it out for a test flight yet?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:31 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,255 Posts
I'm afraid not... the weather has been lousy and my schedule gets crazy this time of year. The test flight might be on skis!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:06 PM
The Wind Is Your Friend
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
I know the feeling. The club decided to pack up early this year due to the early cold.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the detailed illustrations.

I've been doing similar work on my small 1/2A control line planes which, aside from the cutting of tiny overlay details, are easier to work with. I will use the Press n Seal for transferring next time. I use it for quick masking, but that's about all until now.

Good work. I hope she flies well. Watch out for those trees and get us a video if you can. After all this, we want to see her fly!
Rusty
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,255 Posts
I'll get out there one of these days... and I'll do my best to shoot some video.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I rebuilt a crash that was GIVEN to me. Since I had 90% of the wood stock on hand, it seemed like a no brainer. Buying the ultracoat which I didn't have was the most expensive part. It turned out awsome and flew great on it's post crash maiden. The second flight, I misjudged the distance of high tension wires while lining up for a landing. The plane was completely destroyed by the wire when it hit. I haven't EVER misjudged where those wires are since. Apparently, that particular plane was not meant to EXIST for whatever reason.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:49 AM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
123 Posts
Grosbeak,

Excellent job on the repair.
I will agree on the hassle of ironing the covering where the wing and aileron meet. I found the Topflite trim iron makes the job a lot easier. It gets into places that the full size iron just can't get get to. The little iron costs way more than a full size iron but is worth it. It's about $20.00.
One more thing. Did you check your balance point to make sure it was still within the specs for the center of gravity? Most of the work was in front of the CG so it should be fine, but never hurts to check.
Still waiting to hear about your re-maiden flight.
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,255 Posts
Folks, I still haven't re-maidened the plane but I will update the thread when I do so. In the meantime and if you haven't seen it, here's my tail dragger conversion thread.