HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
Finishing the weight pocket was quick and easy...

... and the wing balanced afterwards.

I had a quick look at the wings back on the plane.

Time to start the covering. Bench and both wings have been meticulously vacuumed.

grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
On to the covering. I'd like to thank RFCafe on YouTube for the video Covering Compound Curved Surface with Monokote.

I started with the bottom surface of the starboard wing. I measured the wing, adding 3" to the length and 1-1/2" inches to the width. I have a 3' steel ruler which was very useful.

I won't go into a lot of detail about the covering except to say that I've never covered a wing or a compound curve before. I made a few mistakes but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

I learned a few things along the way so I'm confident that the results will improve as I continue. Incidentally, the base covering is white but I'll be adding some sort of custom scheme that will clearly differentiate the top and bottom surfaces.
Last edited by grosbeak; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
As hoped, the top surface went a lot better.

The bottom surface of the port wing went just as well. It was slightly more complicated because it needed a cutout for the servo tray.

Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
262 Posts
I find the rebuilding almost as fun as building...or at least the figuring out how to get it to done without opening up Pandora's box...
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
I didn't like the original covering scheme enough to go to the effort of recreating it, so I thought I'd try laying out a few different ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:19 AM
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
57 Posts
If its up for a vote I like the first bottom design with the second top design.
EBurkart3rd is offline Find More Posts by EBurkart3rd
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBurkart3rd View Post
If its up for a vote I like the first bottom design with the second top design.
All input is welcome!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
262 Posts
Your first red and green stripes will cost you $13.99 each and then marginally free after that...I discovered planning colors across a couple of projects saved me some coin, or rather got reallocated to plane fund. The different color stripes are for ground effect only. You wont be able to see the different in the air on that size plane....as I have discovered...

Vote 2 top and bottom and could change the red/green to blue and would still be my vote.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:19 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Question of taste . . .

Hi there grosbeak,

I'd go for the second design, bottom and top but I'd continue the green and red
color to the wingtips instead of the white. Great job; I'm sure you will like your
trainer more than when it was new - now it's really "yours".

Happy landings - Peter
fly2smile is offline Find More Posts by fly2smile
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
After consulting with a far more experienced pilot on visibility at a distance I've decided on a bolder pattern with a single colour.

Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:31 PM
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
57 Posts
That looks great, Grosbeak! I hope you can get her back in the air soon!
EBurkart3rd is offline Find More Posts by EBurkart3rd
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
Thanks E!

I'll be out and about looking for a sheet of glass for cutting. After the wing, it's tail dragger conversion time - but that's another thread.

I have skis for the plane so I'm up for a little winter flying fun!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
I created the cutting template for the registration letters. The letters are 6" high and 22" wide.

Today I went to M&T Glass, a local business. In their clearance area I found a nice piece of 5mm polished glass, 53" x 17-7/8" It makes a great cutting surface for covering. Great people to deal with.

I have a power tool guide that I purchased from Lee Valley Tools several years ago. At 52" it makes an excellent straight edge for cutting covering.

Using the Windex method, I laid the first stripe. I figured I should try just one to start because I am new to this approach.

Last edited by grosbeak; Nov 03, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
262 Posts
Good method. One trick I learned was to drag the piece a bit to reduce the bubble count. As well, I cut the trim in the middle of the gap and wrapped around the edges rather than cutting exactly at the wing trailing edge and aileron front edges. Made things a bit more secure.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
Good method. One trick I learned was to drag the piece a bit to reduce the bubble count. As well, I cut the trim in the middle of the gap and wrapped around the edges rather than cutting exactly at the wing trailing edge and aileron front edges. Made things a bit more secure.
Thanks for the dragging tip - that works well. Do you have a specific method for cutting on the gap in a straight line?