HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
I want the car first too. It will be a few years though. Can't see selling what I have for this yet.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
You have to remember that this isn't a Subaru though. Yes Subaru makes them, but everything is to Toyota spec.
I'd rather have a subaru engine than toyota if I'm putting on a turbo, their other higher compression engines have been pretty fragile under boost. Look at the 2ZZ from the celica GTS, it needs pistons/rods and sleeves to take any boost and survive.

Quote:
The stock intake was made very well and realistically can not be beat for overall performance. The only hp increasing bolt on NA mods are exhaust and air filter. That combined with a tune should get you over 20whp, but I honestly can't remember as there is a lot of conflicting data now.
I don't think you'll see 20whp from a filter, exhaust and tune. I bet you'd need to replace the stock exhaust manifolds with proper headers that ditch the pre-cat to get to that point.

I would love to be wrong and see gains that good without touching the headers (HUGE pain to do in a driveway!), but I'm not optimistic at this point. It looks like the stock parts all do a really good job.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'd rather have a subaru engine than toyota if I'm putting on a turbo, their other higher compression engines have been pretty fragile under boost. Look at the 2ZZ from the celica GTS, it needs pistons/rods and sleeves to take any boost and survive.
Point made.

Quote:
I don't think you'll see 20whp from a filter, exhaust and tune. I bet you'd need to replace the stock exhaust manifolds with proper headers that ditch the pre-cat to get to that point.

I would love to be wrong and see gains that good without touching the headers (HUGE pain to do in a driveway!), but I'm not optimistic at this point. It looks like the stock parts all do a really good job.
No I meant everything related to exhaust without all of the restricting cats. And one company that distributes filters averaged a 4whp off of drop in filters.

You also save major weight with a full exhaust setup - manifold and back.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
324whp 250tq off stock engine and transmission! E85 though
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
Not even the 2ZZ is Toyota. It's a Yamaha motor. Tranny is definitely the first weak link.

153whp is that seriously an accurate dyno sheet?
My 2ZZ dynos that in stock form.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
It isn't so much about the amount. It's more about the change. Every dyno is different. Amounts just give rough numbers. If done on another dyno, the 235 might turn into 250.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:21 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
^^ Exactly! Most are dynoing at about 175whp and 145wtq, but it all depends on the type of dyno and how it has been calibrated. You can get a dyno to read whatever you want it to if you tweak settings, doesn't mean its useful for anything but a relative comparison. Dynojet dynos tend to read at least 15% higher than Mustang dynos, even when both are set up perfectly.

As for the transmission, it's similar to what transmission was used in S15 Silvia's which had ~200ft/lbs stock and have held up to FAR more power since they're running an SR20DET and everyone boosted the hell out of those. I would bet that these will hold up to 300wtq as long as they aren't being abused on a drag strip with slicks.

Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,247 Posts
I'm assuming you would have to mod your tranny as well? Most automatics change over at about 25-3000 rpm, and let it go up to about 4k when accelerating hard, but you're getting the most power up near 7k, wouldn't that slowly destroy the stock transmission?
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
TRD is coming out with a beefier transmission.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
I'm assuming you would have to mod your tranny as well? Most automatics change over at about 25-3000 rpm, and let it go up to about 4k when accelerating hard, but you're getting the most power up near 7k, wouldn't that slowly destroy the stock transmission?
IMO, its a waste of this car if you buy it as an automatic. The first demo I drove was an automatic and you can feel the torque convertor sucking up a fair amount of the power. It's not nearly as good of throttle response with it either.

It will last just fine shifting higher in the RPM range, it only shifts lower because there's no need to shift high at part throttle. I shift between 3 and 4000 rpm most of the time as well, but mine is manual.

That said, I believe the auto transmission is about maxed out with stock power so adding 50% more power will also require expensive transmission modifications to cope with the power.

Just my opinion, but anyone that buys a sports car as an automatic should probably not be buying a sports car.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Just my opinion, but anyone that buys a sports car as an automatic should probably not be buying a sports car.
Yet they buy them to use as family cars...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Quote:
Yet they buy them to use as family cars...
Anyone that can use an FR-S or BRZ as a family car must have a tiny family! You can get a baby seat in the back, but you will never get a family of 4 in one for more than a 5 minute drive!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,247 Posts
Ever tried to squeeze into the back of an rx-8? (sounds like a name for a tx). There's about 6" of space between the front and back seats, I measured.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
RX-8 isn't a family car either... and I'd say the same thing about people that bought them as an automatic!

I'm 5'8", and with where I drive from (pretty close, I don't like having to stretch to push in the clutch or gas) there is like 2-3" of space between my seat and the back seat. You'd have to be 5'0" tall or be eating the steering wheel to have leg room behind the driver.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
How do you like the seats? I remember finding them pretty awesome for stock Toyota seats. I love the tight sporty feel of them in comparison to the others they have used. Overall, EVO seats are my most favourite stock seats and positioning of everything relative to the driver.