HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:54 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
My best time is 15.4 at 93.5 in the 1/4 mile with a 60 footer of 2.48s. I suck at getting my car off the line. Tranny is connected to the wrong tires. Tried looking for the slip but only found others as I can't remember the 1/8 mile times on that run.

I only saw a few FR-s on the strip. I've not seen faster than 14.9 yet. I'm certain their 0-60 footer is not where mine was either. All of them were bone stock and silent as a ghost.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:35 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Magazines and auto sites are getting deeper into the 14's bone stock (without cutting weight), and the best I've read about at stock weight and all stock is 14.6 @ 95mph. 14.7-14.9 seems to be about average though, and they're tricky to get off the line without practice since all the power is above 5000rpm.

I'm sure with some practice, and maybe stickier tires you could get into the 14's with your corolla. Every tenth off in the 60' is about two tenths at the end of the track. You should be able to get down to a 2.2, which would put you in the 14.8 range.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:26 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,493 Posts
OMG I want to jump in car discussion. There are a few turbos and superchargers in development. One turbo is pushing the car to 278whp (about 340 crank hp) at 10psi boost.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
Yep, I'm sure that will have many people wanting to upgrade. However that route costs big money in comparison to the cost of the car!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
10psi on unproven internals and 12.5:1 c/r scares me. I'm holding out to see how much the motor can hold with stock internals before doing anything drastic.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
How about that warranty? Don't think that will like the turbo.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Yeah, kiss the warranty good bye. There's rumours that TRD is working on a supercharger kit that would be warranty friendly, but there's no details or pictures to prove anything yet.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
That may be a solution for those concerned about the warranty. I'm sure those who are not concerned would prefer the benefits of a turbo.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,493 Posts
I think the transmission would be the first to give. The internals on the FA20 are ridiculously heftier than comparable engines. There is already a 600hp model from Greddy and Scion Racing: the drift car.

There is supposed to be something like 20whp gain just from ECU settings alone, but ECU adjustments also disagree with warranty. I'ld get the shortest warranty just to get past the relatively large list of teething issues.

This thread...what was it about?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
^^ The 600hp ones are with fully built internals and a different motor (EJ25, WRX/STI engine)... I'd be shocked if they hold up for more than a few dyno pulls with more than 350whp, and to get power up to that level it'll take a lot of careful tuning. The high compression ratio makes it harder to tune once you start adding more boost.

I know people with WRX's that have spun rod bearings or broken internals parts with the stock turbo, just more tuning through access port tuning and that engine is far more friendly for boost than the FA20 is.

I wouldn't count on more than ~5whp from tuning alone with stock parts, and expect some trade off. Even sure bets like intakes aren't looking that promising. Most are throwing CEL's, and all of them are losing power under 5000rpm.

The platform is too new to say much, but I wouldn't count on getting more than 20whp from a pile of bolt ons and tuning, nevermind mind a single part or tune. I bet getting them over 200whp without boost is going to take more RPM, and I don't know if anyone has looked into the valvetrain or how the bottom end reacts to 8000rpm +.

Link to details of the drift one: http://www.clearinit.com/greddy-frs/ Totally different engine and transmission.
Last edited by wparsons; Aug 10, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
From my experience, I don't think I'd bother with bolt ons any more.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:28 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,493 Posts
You have to remember that this isn't a Subaru though. Yes Subaru makes them, but everything is to Toyota spec.

The stock intake was made very well and realistically can not be beat for overall performance. The only hp increasing bolt on NA mods are exhaust and air filter. That combined with a tune should get you over 20whp, but I honestly can't remember as there is a lot of conflicting data now.

There are already a few people raising the rpm limit. To what, I don't know. The story behind the rpm is that when they first tested it in the car, they got surprising results at the stock redline. They were happy with it and didn't go any higher.

I never really dug into the drift car. We know the chassis can handle it though!

Just in: A second turbo dyno graph just showed up. 230whp with a ~170FtLb flat torque line at 4psi. I am assuming this is whp and am waiting for confirmation. This one is from Dynosty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,493 Posts
Oh and that's with an injector swap, but this is still within the capabilities of the stock injectors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
I'm quite certain through the entire previous 3 years, Subaru has been boss of the engine. Toyota only added their direct injection.

That must be whp. And I'd be pretty happy with 230. That would be quite fun and put a few cars to shame.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,493 Posts
Yes they are responsible for the engine itself, but it is ridiculously beefed up.

As for whp, I want 250. There are a lot of poser mustangs around here. I want the car first though...

It's official.
RCG Plus Member