HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined May 2012
40 Posts
Help!
Phil Kraft's Championship Kwik Fli III paint scheme: bottom view

A well known picture of Phil Kraft's world championship Kwik Fli III is on the Feb 1968 cover of MAN. Can anyone post a picture or provide a link showing the bottom view of his plane?

Thanks!
Fly_electric2 is offline Find More Posts by Fly_electric2
Last edited by Fly_electric2; Aug 06, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
472 Posts
What's it about then? Around the landing gear or color? A little more information would be good. Here is a three-view drawing.
A view from below is very unusual.

Heinz

(Sorry, wrong post, had not read the headline.)
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Last edited by hastf1b; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:30 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,281 Posts
The three view above is of the (Graupner?) kit model and the colour scheme shown is nothing like Phil Kraft's model. Kraft referred to his WC winning Kwik Fli as "Old Orange Trash", I don't know if there was ever a photo published showing the underside, but it is my suspicion that it would be the same scheme as on the top - i.e. mostly orange with wing bands, the nose trim continuing round underneath and the tail plane LE trim as a continuation of the fuselage trim stripe.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Can't find underside of PK's
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
690 Posts
I saw that plane in Omaha Nebraska many years ago, and as I remember it, it was just as you see it there with the dark blue wing bands going all the way around, and the leading edge and top of the rudder trimmed with the black. The leading edge and ends of the stabilizer are also trimmed with black. The wing was pretty badly warped but he flew it like it was on rails. The man could fly R/C Pattern for sure. It seems that every contest I went to back in the early 70's had Kwik Fli's and Joe Bridi's Kaos. Both very nice flying planes. Those were the fun days in Pattern, which was also the main attraction in R/C at the time. Scale and Pylon were pretty big also.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Last edited by Jim Kraft; Aug 07, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
The Kwik Fli has been my favourite RC plane ever since I built my first one way back in 1968 from a Top Flite kit. It didn't last too long so I made another one in 1970 from plans which I still have in perfect flying condition.
The original "Old Orange Trash" was written off by Phil himself after a bad transistor in one of his servos. (Just between the two of us, Kraft radios were not very good nor very reliable). The Orange Trash was indeed the 1967 world champion in Corsica in 1967. The color scheme was different from the other Kwik Fli he showed in modelling publications after crashing the Old Orange Trash. How was the livery underneath? I suppose it was all orange excepting the wing bands and the tail decorations. Should not be a problem duplicating it. By the way my Kwik Fli started with an Enya .60II and now is using a Webra Speed .61 circa 1975!!!! It started life with a Logictrol radio and now uses Futaba. For me, despite many of its shortcomings, the Kwik Fli has that special feeling that no other old pattern model airplane had. I love its simplicity, its humbleness, how easy it is to build and fly and how special is the sensation of this most fantastic model. I have flown Taurus, Kaos, Super Kaos, Vespa (which I still fly) and other models I don't remember but the Kwik Fli stands above any of those. It is my opinion.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,329 Posts
I did build and fly the Graupner Kwik-Fly fitted with the C.Goldberg mechanical retracts that were advised and sold by Graupner. Two years ago Graupner brought out a new RTF version of the Kwik-Fly. Original Graupner kits go for 500 euro's on ebay, just like the Taxi and Middle Stick, orange coloured very flat boxes, the Kwik-Fly was a blue box. I have both the Taxi and Middle Stick.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald