HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Received my replacement ESC from Nitro. Works fine now.

Final verdict is that it is a great bird, but has suspect ESC's out of the box.
indyjon is offline Find More Posts by indyjon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:49 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I balance mine at 78mm and still have to give it up elev to fly straight and level. I think it has more to do with the AOA of the top wing which is negative to the bottom wing. I hope this makes sense.

Terry
Terry, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure that its because of the decalage being slightly off on mine for some reason. It still flies great, its just annoying. At first I thought It must have been very nose heavy, but that was not the case. Anyway, I'll keep playing with it. I might even play with the incidence a little. Probably way overkill for a little foamie though. Ha Ha.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:10 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,139 Posts
My is on order I plan to fly off of grass and like to to use Dubro low bounce wheels. If someone would please tell me what type of wheels are stock, their size and do you think there is room for the thicker wheels? I can always modify the wheel pants
I am really looking forward to this model, from what I have read this should fly as well as my E-Filte Stearman which I really enjoy but not a plane to fly in the evening if you are a little off your A game
Thanks
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Hawk View Post
I got mine from Grayson Hobby and have just completed the assembly. During final checkout I found the ESC is not working properly (motor cuts in at out at high throttle position). Unfortunately, I modified the ESC before testing it (it came with a Dean's connector which I changed to an HXT 4mm to mate with the batteries I have from HobbyPartz). Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem? I have a program card that should work with this ESC and I am using an Airtronics RDS 8000 radio system.

Thanks, Tim
I just finished putting my new Waco together and I am getting the same problem but at mid-throttle, clears up at high end. Would this also be a bad ESC? I am using Spektrum rx and tx

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
My is on order I plan to fly off of grass and like to to use Dubro low bounce wheels. If someone would please tell me what type of wheels are stock, their size and do you think there is room for the thicker wheels? I can always modify the wheel pants
I am really looking forward to this model, from what I have read this should fly as well as my E-Filte Stearman which I really enjoy but not a plane to fly in the evening if you are a little off your A game
Thanks
Ken Smith
Ken,

The axle hole is 7/64. Width is 5/8" and diameter is 2 3/4". If you use a wider wheel, you will have to modify the wheel pants. Looks doable though.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:58 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
I just finished putting my new Waco together and I am getting the same problem but at mid-throttle, clears up at high end. Would this also be a bad ESC? I am using Spektrum rx and tx

Paul
Did you try raising or lowering the timing? Detrum default is medium.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:52 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
Based on a friends advice, after removing the prop and setting throttle trim all the way down, I set the upper and lower end points on the throttle. I did this by opening throttle all the way and plugging in the battery. After a couple tones, I closed the throttle and again heard the tones. Reconnected battery and prop but problem persisted.

What is Detrum?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:10 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,546 Posts
Does anybody have pictures of this plane with the cowl and hatches off? I'm trying to determine if this would be a good conversion to a glow Four Stroke.

That putt-putt sound on a lazy afternoon would be classic with this plane.

Thanks,
Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Did
you try raising or lowering the timing? Detrum default is medium.
P 51 Jockey thanks for the info on the wheels
These posts on the ESC have me a little worried I am thinking of going ahead and replacing it.
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:04 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
Based on a friends advice, after removing the prop and setting throttle trim all the way down, I set the upper and lower end points on the throttle. I did this by opening throttle all the way and plugging in the battery. After a couple tones, I closed the throttle and again heard the tones. Reconnected battery and prop but problem persisted.

What is Detrum?
Detrum is the manufacturer of the ESC. That sequence didn't do anything. There should be programming instructions towards the back of the instruction manual. If you have a Turnigy Plush programming card, that will work.

I have Detrum/Dynam ESC's in 9 airplanes including 5 cell powered FMS airplanes and they are all rock solid.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, FL, Gotha
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Hawk View Post
I got mine from Grayson Hobby and have just completed the assembly. During final checkout I found the ESC is not working properly (motor cuts in at out at high throttle position). Unfortunately, I modified the ESC before testing it (it came with a Dean's connector which I changed to an HXT 4mm to mate with the batteries I have from HobbyPartz). Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem? I have a program card that should work with this ESC and I am using an Airtronics RDS 8000 radio system.

Thanks, Tim
FYI, I tried the stock ESC timing set to low, medium, and high and could not eliminate the problem (motor cuts in at out at high throttle). I replaced the ESC with an Exceed Proton 40 Amp unit I had from another model and it works fine with this one.

Tim
Gator Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Gator Hawk
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:30 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
I will make sure the timing is set to medium per the manual. Is it significant that the problem only shows with the prop on? If I take the prop off, it runs smoothly. Stock prop balances out fine
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Yes. The ESC is not handling the load. It's probably bad then.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Yes. The ESC is not handling the load. It's probably bad then.
Thanks P51 Jockey, that's where I figured this was heading. This is my first Graysons Hobby purchase so I hope they can support me on this
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I balance mine at 78mm and still have to give it up elev to fly straight and level. I think it has more to do with the AOA of the top wing which is negative to the bottom wing. I hope this makes sense.

Terry
I'll second that Terry!
Mine balances at about 73mm with a Turnigy 5s 4000 and I need about an 1/8" of up to fly level at 1/2 throttle~
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim