HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam freak View Post
Wasn't too impressed with performance on stock 12x6 prop with a Nanotech 3000 4Cell 35C . Threw on an APC 12x8 which made a big difference with no increase in amps/watts. It now has unlimited vertical and can even easily hold a knife edge on full throws. I love this plane, out of the 8 Dynam planes I own, this is my favorite.

12x6 Dynam stock prop - 31 amps/450 watts
12x8 APC - 30 amps/445 watts

I will test an APC 13x6 prop when it arrives.
Was that the 12x8E prop??
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, FL, Gotha
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
ESC Problem

I got mine from Grayson Hobby and have just completed the assembly. During final checkout I found the ESC is not working properly (motor cuts in at out at high throttle position). Unfortunately, I modified the ESC before testing it (it came with a Dean's connector which I changed to an HXT 4mm to mate with the batteries I have from HobbyPartz). Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem? I have a program card that should work with this ESC and I am using an Airtronics RDS 8000 radio system.

Thanks, Tim
Gator Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Gator Hawk
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:29 PM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Adding a little pitch helps performance a lot but doesn't raise amp draw much, especially with a 2 blade prop. Adding more diameter raises amps much faster.

FWIW, I use a 4240 750KVA motor with a 12-8 3 blade MAS, powered with a 4cell 3300mah, 30c. My static draw is 42A @ 600watts ish. (going off memory) I can fly for an easy 7 minutes and it hauls butt if I want it to. I end up flying at half throttle most of the time and chop the throttle completely on dives.

A 3000mah will fit with no foam carving needed. I had to slightly trim one side of the battery bay to fit my 3300's. I like the CG with the battery sitting in the middle of that area. I didn't like it all the way foreward even with a 2800 4C.

The ESC slides right out after you pull the front cowl off. It's just held on with magnets, but for once the magnets actually work! Just be firm and wiggle it off.
P 51 Jockey is online now Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:33 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Hawk View Post
I got mine from Grayson Hobby and have just completed the assembly. During final checkout I found the ESC is not working properly (motor cuts in at out at high throttle position). Unfortunately, I modified the ESC before testing it (it came with a Dean's connector which I changed to an HXT 4mm to mate with the batteries I have from HobbyPartz). Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem? I have a program card that should work with this ESC and I am using an Airtronics RDS 8000 radio system.

Thanks, Tim
Probably just have to raise the timing. If your programmer doesn't work, the instructions for Detrum ESC's are at Hobby Partz web site to do it the old way. (throttle stick)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Have you taped hinges? That is the only mod that seems necessary from initial look over.
Assume you had to do some trimming to get 5s pack in!
I am more interest in scale flight so 4S will probably be fine.
Any experience with Sky Blue packs??

Tim
Yeaah man!
I taped the tail feathers and only had to rasp out a tad of the battery box ceiling and of course turn her into a single-seater with a cover over the hatch where the front wind screen was. I think she's a lot prettier now
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam freak View Post
Wasn't too impressed with performance on stock 12x6 prop with a Nanotech 3000 4Cell 35C . Threw on an APC 12x8 which made a big difference with no increase in amps/watts. It now has unlimited vertical and can even easily hold a knife edge on full throws. I love this plane, out of the 8 Dynam planes I own, this is my favorite.

12x6 Dynam stock prop - 31 amps/450 watts
12x8 APC - 30 amps/445 watts

I will test an APC 13x6 prop when it arrives.
Good stuff, Thanx
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:40 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,225 Posts
Is anyone's Waco that's balanced properly of course, taking any up elevator trim to fly straight and level? Or is everyone's elevator pretty much neutral with the plane trimmed for straight and level flight?
Thanks
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
Yeaah man!
I taped the tail feathers and only had to rasp out a tad of the battery box ceiling and of course turn her into a single-seater with a cover over the hatch where the front wind screen was. I think she's a lot prettier now
Dan
Photo please
Thank you
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:16 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Have you taped hinges? That is the only mod that seems necessary from initial look over.
Assume you had to do some trimming to get 5s pack in!
I am more interest in scale flight so 4S will probably be fine.
Any experience with Sky Blue packs??

Tim
Here are some thoughts on Sky Lipos,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...y+lipo+reliabl

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
Here are some thoughts on Sky Lipos,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...y+lipo+reliabl

Ken
Wow, not good I would say and I just ordered 2 4S 2700ma packs for my new Waco!

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:16 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
The C ratings are conservative, but I use Gen's Ace. No puffing, German made in a climate controlled facility (important to prevent puffing) and the most consistent of all brands I own. (Turnigy, sky lipo, nanotech)

BTW, I was told that charging a pack at 1c immediately after use will help cool it faster and lessen wear and tear on the cells. Anybody else hear of this?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Is anyone's Waco that's balanced properly of course, taking any up elevator trim to fly straight and level? Or is everyone's elevator pretty much neutral with the plane trimmed for straight and level flight?
Thanks
I balance mine at 78mm and still have to give it up elev to fly straight and level. I think it has more to do with the AOA of the top wing which is negative to the bottom wing. I hope this makes sense.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:29 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
The C ratings are conservative, but I use Gen's Ace. No puffing, German made in a climate controlled facility (important to prevent puffing) .......... (Turnigy, sky lipo, nanotech)

BTW, I was told that charging a pack at 1c immediately after use will help cool it faster and lessen wear and tear on the cells. Anybody else hear of this?
I'm not so sure about that German factory since it is in Shenzhen (China).

http://www.rc-battery.com./app/menu.php?op=index

Cheers,
Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:27 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Can anyone tell me what size screws to use to attach the control horns to the control surfaces? I don't see it in the instructions. Thanks in advance

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Last edited by pmacko; Oct 06, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Mine is balanced at published CG and flies straight with elevator neutral.
foam freak is offline Find More Posts by foam freak