HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:18 AM
Seflier
Joined Jun 2012
125 Posts
WTK

Great pix's...thanks for sharing these....what a great color scheme!

Safe Landings

SEFLIER
seflier is offline Find More Posts by seflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:37 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Just got my Waco in, think I peed a little I'm so excited LOL
Sucks that it's too windy out here.
I was watching small rocks rolling around in the wind like tumbleweeds earlier...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Just got my Waco in, think I peed a little I'm so excited LOL
Sucks that it's too windy out here.
I was watching small rocks rolling around in the wind like tumbleweeds earlier...
The quality (has some minor issues) is SOoooo much better than the Art Tech Pitts. I never finished my AT once I was flying this one.
I am still searching for a 30 something wing span Pitts, with excellent quality and flying habbits. The AT could be it if the build quality did not inhale through A---.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
859 Posts
I hear yah, wind blowing like crazy in central TX.
I got to the field early Sunday morning, knowing that the winds would pick-up tried to get in a flight or two. One the first one, half way thought the winds were starting to kick up when I heard a new bad sound, I was coming down wind about 12-15 feet high and parallel to landing strip. I flew pass the end flip the plane around and landed all in about 15- 20 seconds max. I was able to do this not because I am such a great pilot but that the Waco is such a great flier.
I never thought the cowling would move forward, not sure how this happened, all fixed now

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:52 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
The quality (has some minor issues) is SOoooo much better than the Art Tech Pitts. I never finished my AT once I was flying this one.
I am still searching for a 30 something wing span Pitts, with excellent quality and flying habbits. The AT could be it if the build quality did not inhale through A---.
Tim
From what I saw during the unboxing, I agree.
It's hard to beat the flying characteristics of the sttiP though.
I like the layout of everything much better.
It would be easy to change out or remove the ESC, it's easy to get to, and has a nice channel that ties into the cowling for cooling air (although the engine needs some cutouts for airflow).
Will need to change out the battery connection on the ESC because I upgraded to the XT60's and got rid of all my Dean connectors.
The cowling itself is quite easy to remove (no problems with paint), and while I like not having to remove any screws I still worry about it getting loose and chewed up by the prop (just like Ken's did).
I might insert a little wire or something that I can remove easily to keep the cowling from moving.
Battery hatch is nice and big with plenty of room for CG changes and accessories.
Fuselage servos are easy enough to get to and adjust.

One thing I'm not comfortable with is the strength of the wing.
The lower wing seems really flexible, so I think I'm going to CF spar the lower wing at the very least.
My Durafly SE5a is the same way, the wings were very easy to flex.
On that one I decided to use wire rigging (comes with it but I elected not to use the springs on each end) and it turned out pretty well eventually...the SE5a is responsible for schooling me in the art of foamie flying wires LOL
I'm sure that the Waco doesn't need any spars due to zero wing failures as of yet...but just like the Art Tech sttiP, a stiff wing flies true.

Haven't got into the wing strut installation, hopefully everything lines up...
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
859 Posts
I will share what I did with cowling: I removed the clips and bent them outward just a little to get them closer to the magnets in the cowl. Used epoxy to re glue them, seemed to work, I really think this was a fluke, I have many flights and never saw this before. I am sure somehow I am to blame for this, I really don't think this is a future problem.
On a side note went out late today, must have been tried or something couldn't fly worth a crap, the light was poor I think from now own I will fly the TwinStar easier to see, slower

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, MD, Clear Spring
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Well, time for an update. I have just about finished assembly of my newest Waco. The upgraded paint and extras look great, as well as the new graphics scheme. Still have some minor touchups to do as well as grabbing a new Xoar prop. Once again, the struts were a total non-issue and lined up perfectly. Unfortunately, seems we are expecting some big time snow in the next day or so, so the final touches may have to wait. If anyone can tell me how to post pics here, I will do so.
ironace is offline Find More Posts by ironace
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironace View Post
Well, time for an update. I have just about finished assembly of my newest Waco. The upgraded paint and extras look great, as well as the new graphics scheme. Still have some minor touchups to do as well as grabbing a new Xoar prop. Once again, the struts were a total non-issue and lined up perfectly. Unfortunately, seems we are expecting some big time snow in the next day or so, so the final touches may have to wait. If anyone can tell me how to post pics here, I will do so.
Please do post some pics. Go to "manage attachments" below the window that opens when you hit post reply. Click on "browse", it should open a window on your computer to see your files, assuming you have the photos on your computer. Mouse over the pictures you wish to upload and hit "open". Hit the "upload" button and wait. The picture will appear after a moment, then hit "save changes". Your done! Hope this helps.

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:00 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Ken, I've had nothing but bad luck with cowlings, even had the cowling from my maxford gamma come off in flight.
If you've ever seen how their cowling attaches, you'd think it was impossible.

Starting the build now, should have it ready to maiden tomorrow.
Have a few things I want to try, and if they work out I'll post them up.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
652 Posts
Hey WT, I would consider you one of the experts on this...what is the proper pronunciation of Waco? I have been chastised for pronouncing it like the Texas city!
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:25 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I've always heard it as wah (not way) co.
I don't see why anyone in their right mind would chastise someone for pronouncing it like the city though...obviously they're "experts" and we should all respect them LOL
Similar thing here with the town of Pecos.
Everyone around here seems to pronounce it pay-cuss, while the rest of the world pronounces it pee-kiss or pee-cose.
Doesn't bother anyone (well, except for a few "experts" here too), but it does label them as out-of-towners hehehe

Here's a video with a guy pronouncing Waco the way I've always heard it:

Aero-TV: Recrafting A Classic - Flying The WACO YMF 5-D (8 min 24 sec)

In other news, I found a problem with my landing gear.
It seems that either a) they glued the wheel to the axle or b) the wheel was too tight of a fit and they shoved it/threaded it on anyway.
Regardless, the right brake was locked down, and that would have made for a very bad first taxi test...but it would have been a shoe-in for the ground looping contest!

Just got through enlarging the ESC/cooling channel to accommodate a 100A ESC I had plus some space for airflow.
It was easier than changing out connectors, and it's always a good thing to have an oversized ESC (what, overkill?).
I'll be needing a little bit extra amp rating because I intend to fly on 3S and a larger prop, a 13x8 Turnigy light electric.

Also made a few holes from the firewall to battery compartment for a bit of airflow over the battery.
Up next is the engine cutouts and detailing with metallic sharpies.
I love those things
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:10 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Build update:

I don't know what these guys were thinking when they put the hardware bag together, but assembling an airplane was definitely NOT on their mind!
I've managed to use three screws out of the bag so far, one being the nylon wing bolt.
No breakdown of the assorted screw sizes or how to account for them.
Really bothers me that I might be using the wrong screws, not only structurally speaking, but in the case that those are supposed to go somewhere else later on in the build.
Had to drill out the lower front wing screw holes so I could use larger screws that I had available.
All of the included screws were way too small, and on top of that the screw holes in the fuselage were filled with that crappy rubber cement used to assemble the plane in China.
Would it kill them to simply include the right hardware?
Every Durafly model I've purchased so far had almost enough spare hardware to build another plane, and for the additional $.007 those extra screws cost them they really impressed me.
I'm actually assembling this Waco from the spare hardware included with my SE5a

Anyway, enough of that.
The cooling mod is done, as well as the engine detailing. Looks pretty good, I'll take some pics once I get everything finished up.
All of the little camloc fasteners (Dzus fasteners? Not sure what Waco uses) that appear as little rivet bumps along the fuselage were touched up with a silver sharpie.
Instead of only being able to see them way up close in the right light, you can see them quite visibly without looking ridiculous.
Painted the headrest brown and simulated leather edge rolling, but it's not very noticeable.

Installed a CF strip in the vertical for added stiffness and crash protection, as biplanes have been known to wind up on their backs during less than stellar landings, damaging weak vertical stabilizers.
While I was finishing that up I learned a valuable lesson...Waco paint and CA kicker don't mix! Yay!
It softened the paint up just like paint stripper does, but didn't damage the foam at all.
The slightest touch removed a few patches of yellow paint...oh well, I was going to paint over the CF strip anyway, might as well find a paint that matches this yellow.

To those of you who haven't bought this and are interested, a word about the landing lights.
They're just plain wires that you have to crimp or solder on a connector in order for them to work.
The channels for the light wires aren't buried in the wing, the clear covers over the light housings are easily removed, and everything is pretty easy to install/remove.
With that in mind, I recommend buying a proper light kit if you want lights....it's almost as much work just getting the included lights up and running as it would be to install a kit.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:16 AM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
260 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if Ken and WTK every sleep
spaceinvader is online now Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:18 AM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
260 Posts
Should have been "ever sleep". Maybe could have used some myself.
spaceinvader is online now Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:19 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Build update:

I don't know what these guys were thinking when they put the hardware bag together, but assembling an airplane was definitely NOT on their mind!
I've managed to use three screws out of the bag so far, one being the nylon wing bolt.
No breakdown of the assorted screw sizes or how to account for them.
Really bothers me that I might be using the wrong screws, not only structurally speaking, but in the case that those are supposed to go somewhere else later on in the build.
Had to drill out the lower front wing screw holes so I could use larger screws that I had available.
All of the included screws were way too small, and on top of that the screw holes in the fuselage were filled with that crappy rubber cement used to assemble the plane in China.
Would it kill them to simply include the right hardware?
Every Durafly model I've purchased so far had almost enough spare hardware to build another plane, and for the additional $.007 those extra screws cost them they really impressed me.
I'm actually assembling this Waco from the spare hardware included with my SE5a

Anyway, enough of that.
The cooling mod is done, as well as the engine detailing. Looks pretty good, I'll take some pics once I get everything finished up.
All of the little camloc fasteners (Dzus fasteners? Not sure what Waco uses) that appear as little rivet bumps along the fuselage were touched up with a silver sharpie.
Instead of only being able to see them way up close in the right light, you can see them quite visibly without looking ridiculous.
Painted the headrest brown and simulated leather edge rolling, but it's not very noticeable.

Installed a CF strip in the vertical for added stiffness and crash protection, as biplanes have been known to wind up on their backs during less than stellar landings, damaging weak vertical stabilizers.
While I was finishing that up I learned a valuable lesson...Waco paint and CA kicker don't mix! Yay!
It softened the paint up just like paint stripper does, but didn't damage the foam at all.
The slightest touch removed a few patches of yellow paint...oh well, I was going to paint over the CF strip anyway, might as well find a paint that matches this yellow.

To those of you who haven't bought this and are interested, a word about the landing lights.
They're just plain wires that you have to crimp or solder on a connector in order for them to work.
The channels for the light wires aren't buried in the wing, the clear covers over the light housings are easily removed, and everything is pretty easy to install/remove.
With that in mind, I recommend buying a proper light kit if you want lights....it's almost as much work just getting the included lights up and running as it would be to install a kit.
To use the existion (dim) LED's you need a current limiting resistor. I replaced mine with bright 12V Led's that had dropping resistor built in. I still ran each side of wing in series and then tied to full battery voltage. Still very bright.
You can get them from ALL Electronics.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn