HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:57 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,315 Posts
Just finished my new Dynam Waco!
Why does Dynam put in those ridiculous dim LEDs? And what is with 2 red LEDs for landing lights? They just through those in didn't they? Oh well I guess its not all bad. At least they have done the hard part! All I have to do is cut off the LED and use the wire to install some good LEDs. I replaced all of them with GT Power LEDs. Same as the Turnigy R/C LED Lighting system.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ng_System.html

Came out great! Will post pictures later. Hope to maiden this weekend!
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by karltrek; Feb 27, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
United States, MD, Clear Spring
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
I hear ya Karl. I ordered the same light kit for my newest Waco. Dynams pre-installed led lights were a complete waste of time. I havent put the new lights in yet, but I think they should look great. You'll love flying the Waco. Good luck.
ironace is offline Find More Posts by ironace
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Ok...so it appears I did have the N struts upside down. I chnaged them but can't see any noticeable difference from the way it looked before. At least I know they are installed correctly, now. Thanks again for the heads up on that one.
DejaD is offline Find More Posts by DejaD
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaD View Post
Ok...so it appears I did have the N struts upside down. I chnaged them but can't see any noticeable difference from the way it looked before. At least I know they are installed correctly, now. Thanks again for the heads up on that one.
Are you sure the cabanas are installed correctly

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
726 Posts
Ken, the more I look at your green and yellow plane, the better it looks! What a beautiful paint scheme. It must get a bunch of oohs and ahhs at the field. I see also compared to yours, I hav manage to flip my outer cabanes upside down. It was such a PITA to put them on, I'm not about to change them now, tho! LOL
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Those would be kinda hard to install wrong. The depressions in the fuselage are different sizes to match the different shapes of the struts themselves. They lined up perfectly during the install, so I'm not worried about those. I think she's good to go now. I thought about taking the "landing light" covers off since it looks like a blind monkey put them on, but decided against it. No offense to the blind monkeys of the world. I don't see why these companies don't spend the extra $ and get someone to actually look at these kits as they box them up. Charge me an extra $2 or 3 for that service and I'm still going to buy the kit and I'll be happier when I get it. I'll probably buy other products and recommend them to others. THEY can't lose...
DejaD is offline Find More Posts by DejaD
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Good point Deja. As they say, "an ounce of prevention..." or something like that. After all, when your spending a couple hundred bucks on a plane, an extra $5 or so isnt going to amount to a hill of beans I say. At least not when it comes to retaining customers.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:35 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,315 Posts
Dynam Waco with proper lighting!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:24 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Ken, the more I look at your green and yellow plane, the better it looks! What a beautiful paint scheme. It must get a bunch of oohs and ahhs at the field. I see also compared to yours, I hav manage to flip my outer cabanes upside down. It was such a PITA to put them on, I'm not about to change them now, tho! LOL
Thank you for the kind words, it is a scheme that I have used for years with the ailerons painted that way and it is my favorite to fly because it does look so pretty in the sky. It was something I started to do with the GWS Stearman back 1998 and would always use blue and yellow until my daughter asked me if I know any other colors.
I got the idea for the colors watching the Oregon Ducks play football
I fly along in Johnson City TX so there is no one to impress but me.

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:37 PM
Seflier
Joined Jun 2012
125 Posts
Karl:

Nice selection and job on the light sys. You have managed to motivate me to buy a set and replace the originals.....goes to show that a picture is worth a 1000 words......

safe landings
Seflier
seflier is offline Find More Posts by seflier
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:46 PM
Seflier
Joined Jun 2012
125 Posts
Hi Ken:

just looked over your pix again regarding the N-strut placements...noticed on your plane you placed the N-Strut at the top on the outside and the bottom the inside of the brackets.....For some reason or another, I overlooked that and just placed them both on the outside and had no fit problems....do you or anyone else feel the the bottom should be inside for structural reasons? I guess, if they do, I'll move the bottom ones....thanks for your assistance-again!

Happy Landings
Seflier
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
I put my N struts on the outside on top and bottom. In that configuration my struts were straight. I started to do the outside/inside variation, but found it was putting too much stress on them. So, mine are on the outside only and it has no ill effect whatsoever. I also upgraded the screws and nuts as well. My feeling is that each plane may have some slight difference, therfore you should put them where they are the least stressed, thereby avoiding any broken mounts.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:06 PM
Seflier
Joined Jun 2012
125 Posts
ironace:
i
Thanks for quick response....Given all the different posts o this subject, i am now beginning to think your point about planes being a bit different may have some degree of merit....Ken has built at least two if not three of these, that is why I directed the issue to him first, but i do not recall now if i ever tried to place the n-struts as you tried.....I have starred at those struts for some time trying to determine if it makes a difference or not...my initial conclusion was that by placing them inside at the bottom and outside at top, it MAY give some added support by it being stretched some....I really do not want to change them unless i have to...but I have not maidened mine yet due to weather up here in N.E.

thanks for your input....Think for time being I'll concentrate on changing out my lite system as Karl did and see what happens after she flies in a few weeks when hopefully spring comes to visit.....

Welcome any one elses thoughts/opinions......
Happy Landings

SEFLIER
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post
Dynam Waco with proper lighting!
Your lights look great, but you forgot your white position light on the tail. I also placed my N struts on the outside of the tabs, as they seemed to fit better their on mine.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:26 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub View Post
Your lights look great, but you forgot your white position light on the tail. I also placed my N struts on the outside of the tabs, as they seemed to fit better their on mine.
Yeah... I ran out of lights and patients. The red flashing light on the bottom should be behind the cowling. And I did not install the strobe lights. Maybe later. Here is a great picture of the real thing all lit up!
RCG Plus Member