HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:20 AM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
375 Posts
A guy at my field has the peaks. They both fly slow very well, but the peaks is VERY responsive and is a full on aerobatic high performance biplane. He does fly it on dual rates too and it calms down nicely.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
A guy at my field has the peaks. They both fly slow very well, but the peaks is VERY responsive and is a full on aerobatic high performance biplane. He does fly it on dual rates too and it calms down nicely.
I'm not into 3D flying, but I do like mild aerobatics. I'm just tossed up because these planes are the same price, but the Waco is larger, yet the Peaks looks to have more powerful servos.

I want the one that is more relaxing to fly.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
NJ.Exit 172
Joined Oct 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
Yep, the Peaks is made for Banging all over the sky, Waco is sit in the lawn chair and fly scale Slow Roll's,I should get the maiden in on the Waco this weekend.
john12c is offline Find More Posts by john12c
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
I finally got to maiden mine on Sunday. This is one great flying plane. The only problem I had was loss of signal. This happened twice on the first flight, but was able to regain control just before hitting the ground. The second flight was a non event, no problems at all. The third flight was fine until I started to make my turn to final, all of a sudden I had no control and the plane went nose first into the ground from about 50 feet. I thought the plane was going to be totaled, but to my surpize the only thing I had to replace was the prop. The bottom wing glued back together, and all the ailerons had to be rehinged. She is now ready to be flown again. I found the problem as to why I had no control. The plug that comes off the SBEC to the RX had a loose prong and was not making a good conection. That has been replaced and I don't think I will have to worry signal loss anymore. Now I can really enjoy flying this plane.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
NJ.Exit 172
Joined Oct 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I finally got to maiden mine on Sunday. This is one great flying plane. The only problem I had was loss of signal. This happened twice on the first flight, but was able to regain control just before hitting the ground. The second flight was a non event, no problems at all. The third flight was fine until I started to make my turn to final, all of a sudden I had no control and the plane went nose first into the ground from about 50 feet. I thought the plane was going to be totaled, but to my surpize the only thing I had to replace was the prop. The bottom wing glued back together, and all the ailerons had to be rehinged. She is now ready to be flown again. I found the problem as to why I had no control. The plug that comes off the SBEC to the RX had a loose prong and was not making a good conection. That has been replaced and I don't think I will have to worry signal loss anymore. Now I can really enjoy flying this plane.

Terry
Sorry to hear about that, I tape every connection in every plane.
john12c is offline Find More Posts by john12c
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2005
701 Posts
Do the decals come off easily ?

Quote:
Got mine today and have her ready for the maiden. I am going to wait untill after I fly it to put on the decals and other details. I just wish Dynam had not put their name in the center of the logo for Waco. Probably has something to do with copyright and or Trademark laws. Will see how she does in the air tomorrow. This is one heck of a plane for so little money.

Terry
Just wondering,I'm not too keen on the Dynam emblem decals on the plane do they come off easily without loss of the paint work ?
redtail is online now Find More Posts by redtail
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Just wondering,I'm not too keen on the Dynam emblem decals on the plane do they come off easily without loss of the paint work ?
The plane comes with the decals on a sheet. You have to put them on the plane. Once on they will not come off with out removing paint.

Terry
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2005
701 Posts
Quote:
The plane comes with the decals on a sheet. You have to put them on the plane. Once on they will not come off with out removing paint.

Terry
Thanks Terry,that's great news ! I will take the plunge and buy one. Must confess I would love someone to do a ARTF Gloster Gladiator would buy one in a heart beat !
redtail is online now Find More Posts by redtail
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,198 Posts
Quote:

Terry

Glad to hear she's ready to go again. What radio system are you using?
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
68 Posts
Where to get bright leds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Don't waste your time with the installed LED's. They are not bright enough to see in a dark room. I don't know why Dynam will not put good led's in their airframes. Most people including myself put aftermarket light sets into our airframes. There are a bunch of nice inexpensive lighting sets out there. The good thing is all the wiring channels are pre-moulded and its very easy to install a set of your choice.
SCOTT where did you get the brighter led's especially the landing light on lower wing. also do the brighter lights work off the receiver connection as it is any info is greatly appreciated thanks Tom:
tbnil is offline Find More Posts by tbnil
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Glad to hear she's ready to go again. What radio system are you using?
I am using a DX7s with a AR6110e RX.

Terry
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:10 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Thanks Terry,that's great news ! I will take the plunge and buy one. Must confess I would love someone to do a ARTF Gloster Gladiator would buy one in a heart beat !
You will be really happy with this plane. It flys even better than it looks. I can hardly wait for Sat to get here so I can fly it some more.

Terry
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
This is a great looking plane. Unfortunately, I am 95% certain that I have a bad ESC out of the box. Motor will cut in and out. Didn't find out until maiden flight. Got her up about 100 feet in the air as she was cutting in and out after takeoff. I can confirm that she glides pretty well. Hard landing, but on the wheels.

Re-tested on the ground and it continued to cut in and out. Never bothered to thoroughly "ground test" the throttle before flight as I normally do. Let my guard down. Nitro is currently slow walking the replacement ESC to me. Anyone's guess when it will show.

Can't wait to experience this plane when she is running right. I can tell she is a winner.
indyjon is offline Find More Posts by indyjon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
82 Posts
I just got my Waco yesterday and am in the process of checking and assembling. At first glance it looks really nice. Can't wait to get it into the air.

When powering it up for the first time, my ESC/BEC went through the normal musical tunes, lipo cell count, and then beeped continously. According to the manual, the continuous beeps indicate the throttle is not in the lowest position. So I checked and the throttle WAS in the losest position and the trim was at neutral. So I experimented with the trim and gave it 9 or 10 negative clicks and it stopped beeping and powered up! I've never had to do that with any ESC/BECs and I have may different brands in use.

For info my XMTR is the Futaba 12FG, and I tried with two different FASST receivers, the 6 channel R6106HFC and the 7 channel R617FS. Throttle end points were set at -100% and +100% and yes I had the channel reversed.

Perhaps setting the throttle end points to -110% and +110% with neutral trim may achieve the same effect. I'll try that later.

I also have a question for anyone who had to access the motor or ESC. How do you get to the hardware behind the dummy engine? Everything appears to be glued together so does one have to pry the dummy plastic engine off the cowl? If that is the process, how much breakage occurs?

If you can provide some answers, I'd like to hear from you.

Regards,
Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:03 AM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
I just got my Waco yesterday and am in the process of checking and assembling. At first glance it looks really nice. Can't wait to get it into the air.

When powering it up for the first time, my ESC/BEC went through the normal musical tunes, lipo cell count, and then beeped continously. According to the manual, the continuous beeps indicate the throttle is not in the lowest position. So I checked and the throttle WAS in the losest position and the trim was at neutral. So I experimented with the trim and gave it 9 or 10 negative clicks and it stopped beeping and powered up! I've never had to do that with any ESC/BECs and I have may different brands in use.

For info my XMTR is the Futaba 12FG, and I tried with two different FASST receivers, the 6 channel R6106HFC and the 7 channel R617FS. Throttle end points were set at -100% and +100% and yes I had the channel reversed.

Perhaps setting the throttle end points to -110% and +110% with neutral trim may achieve the same effect. I'll try that later.

I also have a question for anyone who had to access the motor or ESC. How do you get to the hardware behind the dummy engine? Everything appears to be glued together so does one have to pry the dummy plastic engine off the cowl? If that is the process, how much breakage occurs?

If you can provide some answers, I'd like to hear from you.

Regards,
Ken
The cowl comes off. It is held on with magnets, but the foam is stuck to the paint. Gently pull on it and it will eventually slide off.

Terry