HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
I don't want to insult you but you are the first of many that has had this problem are you sure maybe take it apart let it and set for a day then go back to it. I say take it apart to reduce or remove the stress from the plane

Ken
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
United States, MD, Clear Spring
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
1 1/2"? Something simply cannot be right. I have 2 of these planes and nothing is even close to that far off. Do recheck everything, and post pics if need be.
ironace is offline Find More Posts by ironace
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
United States, MD, Clear Spring
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Agreed Ken. That's probably a good idea.
ironace is offline Find More Posts by ironace
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:44 PM
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
I just disassembled one side but after sitting for 5 days there wasn't much spring back so they looked much better than they did before assembly. I'm not insulted that you guys are questioning my assembly skills or techniques. But after spending the last 25 years working in the dimensional control field, this kind of stuff drives me nuts. Even the distance between the holes on the plastic mounts isn't the same as the holes on the z brackets. It just isn't that difficult. Or maybe it is...
DejaD is offline Find More Posts by DejaD
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Again not hurt your feelings but they are called "N" struts

Ken
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Hahaha. I hear ya Ken. But a Z is just an N that nosed over on landing...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
I am glad you can still laugh this will get worked out you are just doing something wrong and when you see it yow will be saying man oh man

Ken
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
I really don't think I did anything wrong. I followed all the suggestions I found here and my plane looks just like all the pictures I see here. Maybe I had a set of warped wings or something. If this plane flies like I hope it does, I won't give a fat rat's fuzzy butt how it went together. Now it's just waiting for the weather...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaD View Post
I just disassembled one side but after sitting for 5 days there wasn't much spring back so they looked much better than they did before assembly. I'm not insulted that you guys are questioning my assembly skills or techniques. But after spending the last 25 years working in the dimensional control field, this kind of stuff drives me nuts. Even the distance between the holes on the plastic mounts isn't the same as the holes on the z brackets. It just isn't that difficult. Or maybe it is...
Darn I getting ready to order a second one and now it looks like there may be quality control issues now. Mine had no issues at all went together very nicely only mod I did was tap plastic to use 3mm button head screws and no nuts.
If you bought through Grayson they will help you out Nitro you are on your own.

This one an their Pitts are my favorite planes, building their Tiger Moth now.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
I really don't think I did anything wrong. I followed all the suggestions I found here and my plane looks just like all the pictures I see here. Maybe I had a set of warped wings or something. If this plane flies like I hope it does, I won't give a fat rat's fuzzy butt how it went together. Now it's just waiting for the weather...
If you look closely at the picture of the N struts you will see a flat edge on the ends, that side goes to the top wing. The ends that are rounded mount to the bottom wing. If yours are mounted that way and you are having to twist the wing then I woud get some new struts from the seller. http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-wako-09-wingstruts.html

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Last edited by krazyman; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
DejaD, pics of the install maybe?
Could be time to send a portion of the model back and get a replacement...that's a lot of inaccuracy!

Just for reference, most everyone in the biplane world calls the outer struts on the wing N struts, and the inner struts cabane struts.
The problem with calling them N struts are that sometimes they're not arranged in the same N configuration, sometimes they're backwards from the same point of view.
Another problem is that not all biplanes use the N configuration, some of them don't have the middle strut making it an N shape, some have cross braces between them in an X shape, and others use a single strut (like a Pitts).
Technically the term for the outer struts are interplane struts, because they tie the two wing planes together.
Cabane struts are the correct technical term for the inner struts attaching wings to fuselage.
However, since we're dealing with a tiny scale version of the real thing, I believe the term Z bracket is somehow fitting...though I sincerely hope my N struts don't turn into Z brackets on landing
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
I will have to take a look for the flat spot and see how I mounted it. Thanks for the support, fellas. I really appreciate it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:30 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Darn I getting ready to order a second one and now it looks like there may be quality control issues now. Mine had no issues at all went together very nicely only mod I did was tap plastic to use 3mm button head screws and no nuts.
If you bought through Grayson they will help you out Nitro you are on your own.

This one an their Pitts are my favorite planes, building their Tiger Moth now.

Tim
No need to worry Tim. Order it, as I'm sure it will go together fine just like all the others have. I really doubt there is any quality control issues. I'm sure Deja will get his figured out.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Hey Deja...check out my post about this issue at #610. Not as severe as yours, but this was my fix. Changing the plastic brackets to plywood was a great choice for me. Good luck.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
I wanted to post some photos both of my planes are setup in this way

Ken