HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:21 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Is the Waco available as a kit from anywhere besides NP?
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:14 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,109 Posts
I am also interested. Found it here in Europe, but not on stock.

http://hobbyfly.de/rc-flugzeuge-1/rc...70mm-7173.html

It looks great....
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:28 AM
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
What is the recommendation for batteries? I have some 4S 3300 packs for my Zero but someone mentioned it hardly got off the ground with a 3300 in it. Maybe a better choice would be a 2400~2900 to give good flight times and not quite so much weight. Maybe a 2750??
DejaD is offline Find More Posts by DejaD
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:33 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaD View Post
What is the recommendation for batteries? I have some 4S 3300 packs for my Zero but someone mentioned it hardly got off the ground with a 3300 in it. Maybe a better choice would be a 2400~2900 to give good flight times and not quite so much weight. Maybe a 2750??
I use 3300 General Ace 4S 30C in mine, no problem with power.
I use 2800 4S 35C in my Dynal Pitts and also no power issues.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:50 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Ok that's all I need to hear. I'm going to order one. Hopefully my experience will be similar to those you folks have offered here. It was a toss up between this one and a T28 Trojan in 1400mm size. I REALLY like that one as well. I will keep you informed...Thanks to all you guys that have blazed the trail with this bird. Well done.
Please go to post 672 or do a search for 3 mm, 4-40 for tips on the attaching the struts, you will be a happier flier

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm starting to get geeked up about this plane and I haven't even ordered it yet!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:58 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
I use 3300 General Ace 4S 30C in mine, no problem with power.
I use 2800 4S 35C in my Dynal Pitts and also no power issues.
Tim
Same with me, on the Gen Ace 3300s, with no problem.
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:02 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
I had a dream last night . . .

And, in my dream, Dynam started releasing a series of 50" WWI birds, leading with a Fokker D-VII. Then, they came out with a Jenny. That was a really good dream.
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
313 Posts
where available?

nitroplanes, graysonhobby, killerplanes, several places overseas. I was lucky and found one on ebay for $99 shipped! The guy bought it just to hang in his family room. Never flew it.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:46 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
And, in my dream, Dynam started releasing a series of 50" WWI birds, leading with a Fokker D-VII. Then, they came out with a Jenny. That was a really good dream.
that would be sweet a 50inch ws fokker .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:54 AM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
...a kindred spirit!
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Well, Last night I pulled the trigger on the Waco. Got a couple props also, just in case. Can't wait to see this thing in person. Yeah know, looking at the pictures it's hard to tell how big this plane is. It appears I never thought to check the specs. In fact, I didn't realize it was a 50" plane until yesterday when a friend told me. I don't know why but I was thinking it was around 1000mm WS. Now I'm REALLY excited!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:03 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
712 Posts
Quote:
Well, Last night I pulled the trigger on the Waco. Got a couple props also, just in case. Can't wait to see this thing in person. Yeah know, looking at the pictures it's hard to tell how big this plane is. It appears I never thought to check the specs. In fact, I didn't realize it was a 50" plane until yesterday when a friend told me. I don't know why but I was thinking it was around 1000mm WS. Now I'm REALLY excited!
Congratulations! You will be very happy. The first thing I noticed when I opened the box after drooling over the quality of it, was the finish...it has a kind of flat, velvety texture to it. Before assembly, I painted the whole plane with a couple of coats of MinWax water based acrylic. It dries very quickly and gives a very nice shiny surface that the decals will also better adhere to. Just use a regular paint brush...the brush marks level out nicely.

Following one of the other poster's suggestion...I put the wing mounting hardware on the upper wing....then mounted that to the fuselage and lower wing. You will see what we mean when you try to manipulate the TINY screws and nuts!
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:23 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
changed power set-up

Hey All,
I've had just over 100 flights on mine using Turnigy 5S 4000mah packs and the stock 50 amp ESC with great success til my last outing!
The motor would stutter here and there over the course of those 100 flts but it did get to be more often and more often! The other day it was doing it more violently than usual and when it finally quit, I took off! I lost power in the climb but was able to land her dead-stick with no proplem, down wind even
Found that the motor and it's mounting plate had shook loose and twisted between the sandwich of foam!
I repaired it last night and put a 40 amp Detrum ESC in and plan to use my trusty ol Turnigy 3S 2200mah packs.
I was turning a 13x6 prop before and will continue to with the new set-up!
Supposed to get super windy today but I'm gonna thro her in the truck right now and try her out before that wind gets here
West Texas surely knows where I'm comin from ;-)
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Thanks for the heads up 6Sally5. I will be taking it nice and slow on the build of this one. No need to rush, it's 17 degrees here in Michigan at the moment...probably a few months away from good flying weather. And I'm currently rebuilding my P-51, Second Hand Rose. Had a bit of a mishap last year and just now got around to repairing it. I shot Polycrylic (matte finish) over this one and my Zero. I may give the shiny stuff a try on the Waco though.

Name: DSC_0769.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 40.9 KB
Description:

Name: DSC_0770.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 40.9 KB
Description:

Name: DSC_0764.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 185.6 KB
Description:

Poziovahim, Are you sure you weren't cooking your ESC running that 5S setup? I'm not sure this ESC can take that much juice. The excess power is turned into heat by the ESC. That would explain the motor cutting in and out, it's getting too hot. Just my thoughts. Glad you got it back on the ground in one piece! Deadstick landings make me feel like