HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:22 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Here are some more pictures I have Ken of 7 series models. It was pointed out to me that V-5 program planes sometimes were painted similar independent of which service (Army/Navy) was using them. Blue fuselage colors seem to be different ranges of royal blue to light blue. I can tell you from my father's photo which is in color/possibly touched up color} that his plane and all the other Wacos in the flight line did not have their vertical stab painted red and white like the photos here show. Looks solid blue. Can't see the horizontal in the distant one. Vertical wing struts look blue too.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:04 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I absolutely love wacos, but those look way too close to cookie cutter stearmans for my tastes.
Bet they flew a lot better than a stearman though...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:01 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
I absolutely love wacos, but those look way too close to cookie cutter stearmans for my tastes.
Bet they flew a lot better than a stearman though...
Now wait a minute! As former FS Stearman in 60's I have to put my 2cents in here.
Stearman was/is a great plane, so is Waco not owned Waco but have some stick time in them. The both can come in different flavors, IE engine size is one variable.
I was lucky to snag NOS HP surplus engine when I rebuilt my Stearman and it was the most enjoyable plane I ever owned. Just watch run up when taxiing and easy on brakes. (Don't ask!)
Really though they are both great planes, FS is totally unobtainable unless you are well healed so enjoy the RC version and step back to a time when planes had character and did not all look alike!
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:13 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
The original Wacos had a golden era style, a Stearman just doesn't compare in that department.
Landing gear fairings, wheel pants, bump cowl, 4 ailerons on a sleeker looking wing, roomy cockpit, smooth aerodynamic lines that don't resemble a toilet paper roll, 30's era scalloped paint job, meticulous wood panels, turtle deck...those are aesthetically pleasing things that an original Stearman never had.
Case in point...the more you modify a Stearman, the more it looks like an original Waco.
That's all I was trying to say.

So what kind of Stearman did you fly, the original 220, shaky jake, 450?
Worked a 600 Stearman with hi-lift wings for a short time, it just wasn't the airplane that an agcat is.
It was a lot better than the original Stearman though.
YMF-5 is in a totally different class than all of them.
It would be like comparing a Citabria to a Decathlon or Pitts.
Not saying the Stearman is a bad airplane, they're actually easier to fly and land than most biplanes...very docile, forgiving, and relaxing.
It's just really hyped up because of the name...just like the super cub is today.
BTW, if you want to see a MONSTER Stearman, check out the Emair MA-1, a highly modified Stearman with a de-rated Wright 1820:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emair_MA-1

WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:12 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
549 Posts
scary

Hey All,
Had 3 superb flights this morning but on the 4th one after doing a cuban 8, she kept nosing up severely! I knew right away that the battery must have slipped way back! Anywho, by using the throttle and my elevator which has mucho throw, I was able to land without a scratch
We're talking a 5S 4000mah Turnigy battery and when I opened the hatch and looked, the battery had slid back into the fuse where only about an inch and a half of the battery was still in the hatch bay
I was using a composite shim along the side of the battery to hold it in place and it worked for 96 flights. Needless to say, I added velcro to the bottom of my batteries for extra security!
I do love this plane
Dan
PS The aileron link between the upper and lower aileron came loose in flight and was flapping in the wind on one flight last week with NO obvious bad tendencies
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,069 Posts
I hear you Dan, I have 12 ten minutes flights in so for, the only reason I quite was out of batteries, got hunger or the wind got up to the piont it wasn't fun any more. I do love this plane to the piont this one or the other Waco I have is all I want to fly.
I was going to the FW-190 but knew I wouldn't fly it so why get it.

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,069 Posts
If you want tips and ideas for painting EPO foam then go here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442467
Go to the last page and work back I think you will get more out of it

Ken
Last edited by Ken Smith; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I hear you Dan, I have 12 ten minutes flights in so for, the only reason I quite was out of batteries, got hunger or the wind got up to the piont it wasn't fun any more. I do love this plane to the piont this one or the other Waco I have is all I want to fly.
I was going to the FW-190 but knew I wouldn't fly it so why get it.

Ken Smith
Eh Ken,
Is your other Waco a Dynam?
I had the FMS FW 190 and only got 3 six minute flights before I blew her into the turf being stupid
But those 3 flights were powerful! Super low passes really close-in felt so sweet! I personally think the FW 190 was the most intimidating looking fighter of the War! Most beautiful lines at the same time! Patiently awaiting a bigger one now
Dan
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,069 Posts
Yes both Wacos are Dynam, I wanted to re-paint the model but didn't want to stop flying, plus wanted back up.
The Nazi one I was going off of this plane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha_Go_145
pretty close huh. Besides I have been looking for an excuse to use Callie Graphics and this looked like a good one
Yes the FW-190 is one of my favorites but while flying my P-47, I asked myseld which one would I rather fly, it or the Waco and I would chose the Waco. May get the Dynam FW-190 later uses the same battery.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Smith; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Yes both Wacos are Dynam, I wanted to re-paint the model but didn't want to stop flying, plus wanted back up.
The Nazi one I was going off of this plane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha_Go_145
pretty close huh. Besides I have been looking for an excuse to use Callie Graphics and this looked like a good one
Yes the FW-190 is one of my favorites but while flying my P-47, I asked myseld which one would I rather fly, it or the Waco and I would chose the Waco. May get the Dynam FW-190 later uses the same battery.

Ken
Well, if the first one isn't correct, it should have been
If I have to get another or just get another, I may do it up that way! Nice job on both!
Dan
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
722 Posts
Hi guys...anybody having trouble with the battery hatch lifting off during flight?
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:40 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Hi guys...anybody having trouble with the battery hatch lifting off during flight?
seems to be recurring problem with Dynam a/c. Just add a couple more magnets and is should take care of it...one guys replaced the metal bracket with a magnet so it was magnet to magnet.....
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:20 AM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
I use small strips of velcro, works great!!!

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:01 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
214 Posts
I put a wide "craft stick" under the aft end of the battery cover, extending under the turtle deck/pilot. Seems to do the trick.
iwlf is offline Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:12 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,880 Posts
Maidened mine today- flew straight and true from the get-go. It was cold, and a little breezy, but the plane did great. sadly after 40 minutes of flight time the left aileron servo just died. Thank GOD it wasn't the elevator! I would have cried...

Oh- I flew it on 3s 2200mah 20c, and it will fly happily along at 1/2 throttle, and will *just* do a loop from level flight. It will climb, but requires patience. All in all, I think it felt very scale. I have about 6 hours in a Waco biplane, and this one flies almost the same. Needs rudder in the turns, and hammerheads are just like in the full scale!

Anyone had any luck with Nitroplanes customer service? I'm going to shoot them an e-mail and explain the servo just quit in flight and see if they can send me a replacement.

Hope you like my pilot- stole Alan's idea!
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson