1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
Still in the box????
I love mine!
I put 5" wheels on mine to fly off light snow
Dan
i would love to be flying mine but
i purchased it late Oct, it getting cold out here in NYC and my flying field is right near the east river so its windy and extra cold. so there safe and warm till spring that plane, along with the Waco are staying in the house till spring .
i will focus on reinforcing or upgrading parts needed or customizing the paint to my liking , although the Waco is staying stock i like the color scheme.
right now i just focus on making scratch built planes to kill time on my off season
when i retire im heading to a warm climate state like Alaska that way i can fly all year round
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:26 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
i would love to be flying mine but
i purchased it late Oct, it getting cold out here in NYC and my flying field is right near the east river so its windy and extra cold. so there safe and warm till spring that plane, along with the Waco are staying in the house till spring .
i will focus on reinforcing or upgrading parts needed or customizing the paint to my liking , although the Waco is staying stock i like the color scheme.
right now i just focus on making scratch built planes to kill time on my off season
when i retire im heading to a warm climate state like Alaska that way i can fly all year round
North Carolina is not a bad location, here in Charlotte wind is usually mild (bad for sail boats) and temperatures even in winter are not terrible. Move much farther south and summers can be brutal. Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:02 PM
In the air! Not the dirt!
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Greetings guys,
Add me to the club. Mine arrived just before Christmas and I have been reading this thread and putting it together here and there. Thanks for all the tips.

I maidened it yesterday at the clubs' "First Day' fly in. It is all stock. It balanced nicely with 2200 4s Turnigy's and I tried an 1800 4s Sky Lipo that also worked well. It flew great. I managed four packs and it did not seem to care which battery was in. A nice casual flyer and it does look really nice in the air. The guys at the field liked it alot. I was flyng off a grass field and takeoffs were fine. Aside from the rather gusty (and chilly!) crosswinds that bounced it around a bit and had me make several go-arounds on several landings it was a nice successfull maiden. I can't wait to try it in some calmer air.

Has anyone tried to match that yellow paint yet?
nodirt is offline Find More Posts by nodirt
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirt View Post
Greetings guys,
Add me to the club. Mine arrived just before Christmas and I have been reading this thread and putting it together here and there. Thanks for all the tips.

I maidened it yesterday at the clubs' "First Day' fly in. It is all stock. It balanced nicely with 2200 4s Turnigy's and I tried an 1800 4s Sky Lipo that also worked well. It flew great. I managed four packs and it did not seem to care which battery was in. A nice casual flyer and it does look really nice in the air. The guys at the field liked it alot. I was flyng off a grass field and takeoffs were fine. Aside from the rather gusty (and chilly!) crosswinds that bounced it around a bit and had me make several go-arounds on several landings it was a nice successfull maiden. I can't wait to try it in some calmer air.

Has anyone tried to match that yellow paint yet?
take a small piece of the plane to a homedepot or lowes they can match up the paint perfectly. ive done it with other planes .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
You can tether the front of the ski's with rubber bands and use a light cable on the back just long enough to keep the skis's from dropping too far in the rear! The rubber bands on the front allow for rocking back far enough to allow the tail to settle!
Dan
The thing that confuses me is that a rubber band is much more likely to fail, so it seems that the more substantial tether should be in front to absolutely prevent the tip from going down too far and a rubber band in back to keep some up tension on the back of the ski. But then again maybe that's why my landings weren't very smooth. Every time it would touch down it would sort of just flop down, instead of sliding. Maybe the secret is to use multiple rubber bands to compensate for potential breakage..
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:24 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone bought the Waco for sale at Killerplanes?
I'm curious to know if the crashproofing kit is any good.
They seem to crash test the models to develop their kits, and if some people are having trouble with the cabanes during assembly I would think that they'd have the same problem and reinforce that area.
Any input?
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Hey guys, has anyone bought the Waco for sale at Killerplanes?
I'm curious to know if the crashproofing kit is any good.
They seem to crash test the models to develop their kits, and if some people are having trouble with the cabanes during assembly I would think that they'd have the same problem and reinforce that area.
Any input?
The Cabanes are a weak point too? I didn't think they would be as they are made of metal. I was under the impression that the interplane struts were breaking at the plastic attach points.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:13 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The thing that confuses me is that a rubber band is much more likely to fail, so it seems that the more substantial tether should be in front to absolutely prevent the tip from going down too far and a rubber band in back to keep some up tension on the back of the ski. But then again maybe that's why my landings weren't very smooth. Every time it would touch down it would sort of just flop down, instead of sliding. Maybe the secret is to use multiple rubber bands to compensate for potential breakage..
Get some elastic chord! It comes in different thicknesses and lasts longer too!
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:34 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Hmm, I just got through reading through the thread (albeit quickly) and noticed a few people talking about the cabane struts breaking. Maybe I misread, or they were calling the interplane struts cabane struts.
I don't have the model myself, so I dunno what's weak on it.
Was hoping that the crashproofing kit might help to toughen any weak spots...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:04 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,927 Posts
I just did a keyword search about the Cabanes. It looks like the problem is with the plastic mounting points. And it is referenced as cabane and interplane. I would say it is a good idea to retrofit something more beefy for all.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:46 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I just did a keyword search about the Cabanes. It looks like the problem is with the plastic mounting points. And it is referenced as cabane and interplane. I would say it is a good idea to retrofit something more beefy for all.

-Cub
Copy part to aircraft ply, should work fine.
The plastic on mine has held up fine it is only some batches that are defective.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,020 Posts
Cub, mine came from Killerplanes and it was one of them with bad plastic in the mounting point. I just made a new one. It was no big deal, a little annoying yes, but no big deal. I went the killerplanes crashproofing path mainly to help my self confidence in getting back into flying after a 10 year break.

Between picking up a copy of Realflight 6 simulator, the Killerplanes crashproofing and the supportive encouragement of the guys at the field my confidence is back and I feel like a little kid again when I fly.

Oh and BTW, I haven't really tested the crashproofing yet. But, I am getting the itch to upgrade the motor so I can handle more wind.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:23 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Copy part to aircraft ply, should work fine.
The plastic on mine has held up fine it is only some batches that are defective.
Tim
Mine's holding up fine, too.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:50 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Cub, mine came from Killerplanes and it was one of them with bad plastic in the mounting point. I just made a new one. It was no big deal, a little annoying yes, but no big deal. I went the killerplanes crashproofing path mainly to help my self confidence in getting back into flying after a 10 year break.

Between picking up a copy of Realflight 6 simulator, the Killerplanes crashproofing and the supportive encouragement of the guys at the field my confidence is back and I feel like a little kid again when I fly.

Oh and BTW, I haven't really tested the crashproofing yet. But, I am getting the itch to upgrade the motor so I can handle more wind.
For additional wind tolerance, make sure you run the biggest battery possible, to include carving some foam to accomodate it. More weight will yield better stability in wind.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
For additional wind tolerance, make sure you run the biggest battery possible, to include carving some foam to accomodate it. More weight will yield better stability in wind.

-Cub
I'm using 5s 4000's in mine and I've flown in 15 mph winds with no sweat
Dan
70 flights to date and will wrack up a bunch this weekend!
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim