SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I am telling you this is a great model for re-painting, the surface and foam are a great canvas. I thought I would make it a pre-WW2 Nazi trainer, decals from Callie Graphics, great job and service. I have been waiting for a project to come along to use their services let’s support her whenever we can.
Thanks
Ken Smith
Be Safe and Have Fun
wow that came out sweet. hard to belive theres a Waco under that paintjob.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Just to follow up on mine, I am going ahead and replacing the stock ESC with an E-Flite 60A that I'd not been using. It fits perfectly and the connectors are the same size as the stock motor's. Thanks for the tips on pulling the cowl straight forward and just being persistent! It's a snug fit, but no problem. I'm really impressed with the quality of the plane for the money, so far.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
wow that came out sweet. hard to belive theres a Waco under that paintjob.
Thank you It was fun
Ken
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
Just to follow up on mine, I am going ahead and replacing the stock ESC with an E-Flite 60A that I'd not been using. It fits perfectly and the connectors are the same size as the stock motor's. Thanks for the tips on pulling the cowl straight forward and just being persistent! It's a snug fit, but no problem. I'm really impressed with the quality of the plane for the money, so far.
Just a thought, I replaced the stock ESC in both of my planes with HobbyWing Platinum 40AMPS my thought is this: It seems a few or more people are not getting very good flight time, I get 10 minutes with Thunder Power 2700 4S 25C batteries. Plus depending on how I fly I will use as little as 1500MH to 1850 MH so I plenty of reserve.
Do think it may be the stock ESC causing the short flight times? I have no idea just a thought

Ken Smith
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Do think it may be the stock ESC causing the short flight times? I have no idea just a thought
That's an interesting question. I'd adjusted my timer to 6 minutes on the stock ESC; I'll compare and report back.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
I fly off of grass AND have kept my pants on....

...does that sound right?
If you're on grass and still have your pants on, you're not doing it right!
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,016 Posts
Will I flew the re-painted Nazi trainer, I had flown it beforehand in the stock colors, this time I careful check to make sure all flight controls have same throw, it was great flier before but now, oh what a beauty. I really enjoy the plane, I think it is the best flying model I have ever owned I wish I could tell the other members
The weather (wind) does not look good for the next 5 days her in central Texas so I may not get in anymore flights for a while.
Be safe Have fun
Ken Smith
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:25 PM
United Kingdom, Telford
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
After owning one of these for a while, I got fed up with the lack of a suitable pilot, so I thought I'd go down the route of finding out what scale the Dynam Waco is, then go for a pilot true to that scale.
After visiting Waco's website and obtaining the wingspan for the original aircraft, it looks like the dynam model is roughly 1/7th scale.
Hangar 9 do a pilot in this scale wearing yellow and black ( http://icarusmodels.com/index.php?ma...tdjs59cqjtp1b4 ) which after a little modification to get the height correct (remove half of his body height) and a little off the width as his shoulders would technically be tucked under the cockpit ledge, in my opinion looks spot on!
From looking at real Waco pictures with pilots in, scale wise it looks correct.
I fitted mine using a small amount of hot melt glue at the base of the rear of the pilot and on the back of his head to the cockpit headrest.
Hope this is useful to those guys looking for something suitable

S.

P.S I'll try and get a picture of mine up over the weekend
MR2Scott is offline Find More Posts by MR2Scott
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,016 Posts
http://www.vaillyaviation.com/images...ot%20_web_.pdf
This is an interesting article on how to select the right pilot size for your model. I had posted the Waco website I should have posted this at the same time.
Following this formula then 1/7 scale is spot on. I used the pilot for the Eflite Stearman it is a little smaller then it should be and had to put some foam under him to raise him up.
Let know what you come up with
Ken Smith
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:03 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Thanks for calculating the 1/7 scale. Great Planes has an "old school" 1/7 military pilot that looks like it might be a good match.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
http://www.vaillyaviation.com/images...ot%20_web_.pdf
This is an interesting article on how to select the right pilot size for your model. I had posted the Waco website I should have posted this at the same time.
Following this formula then 1/7 scale is spot on. I used the pilot for the Eflite Stearman it is a little smaller then it should be and had to put some foam under him to raise him up.
Let know what you come up with
Ken Smith
this is some great info thanks for the link, i save it for future reference
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
Ken, that is too cool. I do miss the wheel pants though
very cool!
How did you mount the wheels?
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,016 Posts
Wheel Setup

The setup on the Oregon Duck with the stock wheel pants is: I am using Dave Brown’s 2-3/4” soft foam wheels be sure not to use the light foam wheels will not support the plane(I have to admit that is a guess not a know) I had to drill them out as the stock setup use 3M screws. I choose 8-32 X 2-1/4” ( if I remember correctly) which is 5/32” in diameter next with the trusty Dermal sanding drum I removed the plastic nipples inside the pants and then careful drilled out the screw hole and using locknuts I instilled the wheels. I put a washer under the screw head on the outside may not need but felt better about it. Next was a locknut then wheel then the last locknut. I had put washer between the wheel and last locknut but didn’t need it and that give me a little more thread.
After writing all that I realized you asked about the Nazi Trainer basically the same set up but I used 8-32 X 2-1/2 socket head bolts, same setup on Eflite Stearman. This is the same basic setup for both planes but with wheel pants the screw is reversed.
I also use the sanding drum to enlarge the wheel pants opening, sometimes I fly off of wet grass and the grass cuttings would bunch up and lock the wheels.
Hope this helps
Ken Smith
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
763 Posts
Pilot Size

I used the one with the pink shirt off ebay. You can always repaint the pilot if you want. He sits in the plane very nicely. Notice that the top of his head sits just below the top of the windscreen. You have to rotate him a little to set him in so the shoulders come right to the cockpit combing.

Here are the dimensions:
Miracle RC 1/6 Plane Pilot Bust For 1/6 Airplane Jet
Specification:
- Dimensions: Length 70mm, Width 40mm, Height 70mm
- Weight: 27g

Here is a link to the auction/buy it now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110659894246...84.m1439.l2649
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
[QUOTE=Ken Smith;23593885]The setup on the Oregon Duck with the stock wheel pants is: I am using Dave Brown’s 2-3/4” soft foam wheels be sure not to use the light foam wheels will not support the plane(I have to admit that is a guess not a know) I had to drill them out as the stock setup use 3M screws. I choose 8-32 X 2-1/4” ( if I remember correctly) which is 5/32” in diameter next with the trusty Dermal sanding drum I removed the plastic nipples inside the pants and then careful drilled out the screw hole and using locknuts I instilled the wheels. I put a washer under the screw head on the outside may not need but felt better about it. Next was a locknut then wheel then the last locknut. I had put washer between the wheel and last locknut but didn’t need it and that give me a little more thread.
After writing all that I realized you asked about the Nazi Trainer basically the same set up but I used 8-32 X 2-1/2 socket head bolts, same setup on Eflite Stearman. This is the same basic setup for both planes but with wheel pants the screw is reversed.
I also use the sanding drum to enlarge the wheel pants opening, sometimes I fly off of wet grass and the grass cuttings would bunch up and lock the wheels.
Hope this helps
Ken Smith[/QUOTE
Many thanks Ken!
I too enlarged the pant opennings but I just used aviation snips and took out roughly 1/4" all the way around! I flew her with about a half inch of snow on the ground till the pants were chuck full of slush and went home! Got three flights
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim