HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I am not sure why some are having problems with the strut anchor plastic? I have not had any problems with mine, but I do have functioning flying wires, and I don't use any locktite, just a little CA on the threads and nuts. I know that most locktites will eat the plastic, so maybe that is why some are having trouble with the plastic anchors.

Terry
If possible please post photos and how to on the flying wires
I am finishing my second Waco,did a major repaint, luckily no trouble with the struts, rock solid. I am using 4-40 button heads, washers and locknuts.
It sounds like the company over did on using regrinds in the plastic, everyone uses regrinds but at most 25%.

Thanks
Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Flew mine again yesterday on 3S with a 13x10 prop -- perfectly calm winds. I can slow-cruise at least 15 minutes at half throttle. For rolls and loops I might use as much as 3/4 throttle, but I don't think I ever used full throttle for aerobatics. I did do a couple of WOT passes just to see how fast it would go and she really moves along... way faster than scale and thus faster than I would want to fly it. I think a 13x8 might be better for climbing but she climbs fine with the 13x10, and the extra pitch seems very efficient for cruising. So, for anyone who wants to know if this plane flies okay on 3S....YES, it does. I'm using a variety of brands of 3S 3300mah 30C Lipos, and they all come down cool. I'm using the stock Detrum 40A esc with the on-board BEC -- stock servos. I replaced the LEDs with better ones, using resistors for 12V and plugged directly into the battery balancing plug so I'm not pulling any extra Watts through the ESC.

Other than the crappy cabane strut mounts, the only other problem I've had is that the battery hatch keeps popping up in flight. Fortunately it hasn't separated from the plane in-flight... it gets stuck under the wing. I might add a couple more magnets to it... it seems like the stock ones don't make very good contact.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
779 Posts
Warhead, Did you have to mod the battery compartment? What would it fly like if you used the 12 x 6 that comes with the plane? I`m thinking that if you fly at 1/2 throttle most of the time for normal cruising, then the stock prop would be fine at 3/4.
skylane42 is online now Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:14 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
I did not mod the battery compartment at all. My 3300mah lipos fit snugly and stay put with friction, without bowing out the fuslelage sides -- it's a perfect fit. I am not using any Velcro and they stay in place.

Alternately, I bet I could parallel 2x 2200mah 3S lipos and they might fit edgewise... I have lots of 2200's, and weight does not seem to be an issue.

I did not even try the 12x6 prop that came with it -- it didn't draw enough amps in a static test. I would at least try a 12x8 for more pitch-speed. Or a 13x8 -- 13x10. The 13x10 bogs down in static tests (too much pitch) but it unwinds nicely in the air. Even a 14x7 would work if you want loads of thrust but slow cruising speeds... she does have a low stall speed so the 7" pitch should still keep her afloat.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
779 Posts
Can I ask just what battery, by name, you used? I have some 3300 but they seem to wide.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:27 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
I have 3-4 different brands. Turnigy and Blue Lipo are two of the brands. They all seem to be the same width.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409961
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265812
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,068 Posts
I flew my Waco yesterday in 12mph wind. I had to land about half throttle and everything worked out fine.

My firewall had come loose from several nose overs and I replaced it with a plywood firewall with T nuts in it. That had minimal down or right thrust and flying was interesting. I added 2 washers on the top port mounting bolt and 1 washer to both the bottom port and top starboard bolts. The down/right thrust is spot on now with smooth takeoffs and trims out nicely at half throttle.

I painted the forward windshield trim black and it looks much better. I also epoxied small tubes to the inside of the inner cabanes and ran the lighting wires through them, so that looks a lot cleaner.

My battery hatch came loose several times in the air, fortunately the upper wing kept it from coming off. It would make a terrible noise that would get everyones attention. I got tired of messing around with magnets and velcro. So, I epoxied a hardwood stick onto the underneath side of the rear of the hatch cover that sticks out about a half inch and slides nicely into the fuse body opening to hold down the rear of the cover. At each front corner of the cover, I epoxied in half inch square hard points into the fuse (after excavating recesses for them). I then screwed one side of small plastic landing gear hold down straps sandwiched between 2 washers to those hard points. Painted the new cover latches yellow and it looks like it was designed that way.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Painted the new cover latches yellow and it looks like it was designed that way.
Would you mind posting a few pics of your mods?

Thanks
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,068 Posts
This is what I did.

The Stick.
Name: Stick.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 113.7 KB
Description: This stick fits nicely into a matching fuselage cavity hole.

What Latches?
Name: Both Latches.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 126.6 KB
Description: The front battery cover latches are not too noticeable.

Open.
Name: Open.jpg
Views: 145
Size: 87.5 KB
Description: Open

Closed.
Name: Closed.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 97.1 KB
Description: Closed

This hatch isn't going anywhere.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:45 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
779 Posts
what paint and color did you use to match the planes yellow?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,068 Posts
Color matching? What's that? I'm going for the dirty, weathered and well used look (kinda like me). I get my acrylic paint at either Hobby Lobby or Micheals. Trying to figure out color names is like trying to figure out women's clothing sizes, each brand has it's own stupid name for the same color. I just look for something that looks like Cub Yellow to me. For this I used Americana brand acrylic called Bright Yellow.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If possible please post photos and how to on the flying wires
I am finishing my second Waco,did a major repaint, luckily no trouble with the struts, rock solid. I am using 4-40 button heads, washers and locknuts.
It sounds like the company over did on using regrinds in the plastic, everyone uses regrinds but at most 25%.

Thanks
Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken, I don't have a good way of taking pictures of the flying wires. I used small cotter pins Gorilla glued into the wings just inside of the strut mounts and the others into the fuse. I looked at pictures of the real plane to get an idea of where to put the cotter pins. I then attached clip on fishing swivel connectors. I used some fishing line tied to the swivel connectors. Once I had the fishing line tied I colored the line black with a felt tip marker. They look very scale and they actually help keep the wings together.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, WA, Poulsbo
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Here's a web site where you can see pictures of the real plane that this is modeled after.
Just search for waco ymf and you'll find it.
http://www.airliners.net/
dcheli is offline Find More Posts by dcheli
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:59 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Color matching? What's that? I'm going for the dirty, weathered and well used look (kinda like me). I get my acrylic paint at either Hobby Lobby or Micheals. Trying to figure out color names is like trying to figure out women's clothing sizes, each brand has it's own stupid name for the same color. I just look for something that looks like Cub Yellow to me. For this I used Americana brand acrylic called Bright Yellow.
Me Too ;-)
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Last edited by poziovahim; Dec 05, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Quote:
This is what I did.

The Stick.
Attachment 5349257

What Latches?
Attachment 5349259

Open.
Attachment 5349264

Closed.
Attachment 5349265

This hatch isn't going anywhere.
Good solution Jwellsy. I was thinking something similar with the same kind of fixed-tab on the rear of the hatch and a sliding pin on the front. The pin would actually go in through from the cockpit and into the firewall. I could even attach the back end of the pin to a pilot so you slide the pilot back to unlock it. I'd embed a plate of hard plastic (credit card?) in the firewall for the catch-plate, and I'd route the pin through a stirring straw so the foam doesn't wallow out over time.