HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:51 AM
Registered User
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub View Post
Yea, I don't understand all the talk about the "bad" strut anchors. They are perfectly designed as is. Tons of hard scale aerobatics with mine, and no hint of a failure anywhere. I even drilled mine out to accept 2-56 bolts and lock nuts. Also, there is no "carbon"on this airplane. It's laminated fiberglass sheet. Yea, its black, but it's not carbon.
The problem is the bad quality of the plastic used to make the strut anchor points.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The problem is the bad quality of the plastic used to make the strut anchor points.
Not flown mine enough to get a good feeling if there is an issue here.
But I believe the screws and nuts supplied can come loose and wallow out the plastic. This is why I tapped mine and used 3mm button head screws with some canopy glue on threads where the protrude to keep everything tight.
Time will tell if this fixes the issue.
I do believe reinforcing the cabine mounting area is worth doing, some CF and 30 minute epoxy should add a lot more beef to this area and prevent or lesson tearout.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
Registered User
krazyman's Avatar
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,287 Posts
Strut Problems

I am not sure why some are having problems with the strut anchor plastic? I have not had any problems with mine, but I do have functioning flying wires, and I don't use any locktite, just a little CA on the threads and nuts. I know that most locktites will eat the plastic, so maybe that is why some are having trouble with the plastic anchors.

Terry
krazyman is online now Find More Posts by krazyman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Registered User
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
956 Posts
My strut anchor point crumbled without using locktight or anything else, it came from the factory too brittle.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
Yeah, mine is the same... the plastic just crumbles like stale bread. I might completely dig them out and replace with lite-ply or aluminum flashing.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:54 PM
Registered User
mjdee14's Avatar
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Yeah, mine is the same... the plastic just crumbles like stale bread. I might completely dig them out and replace with lite-ply or aluminum flashing.
My buddy's broke before he flew it, purchased another whole set and they again broke before flying, there was no tension on them, aligned perfectly, just crummy plastic. Those of you flying and not having problems.....are probably OK...maybe there is a bad batch of plastic, but I would sure check them before every flight.....if both break on the same side.....it may be sionara to a wing half.
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:08 PM
Registered User
Tango_Romeo's Avatar
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
CF or Fiberglass

Whether the outer wing struts are CF or laminaterd fiberglass, the attachment points I made using pieces cut from a spare set of these (7 of 12 so far) are holding fine. Have not dared any aerobatics yet.

I am cutting out a small section of the spare strut that includes one of the many predrilled holes. After grinding down the remainder of the broken plastic polint, I slit the foam parallel to the position of the original attachment point, and epoxy the new piece into place...making sure that the alignment of the holes in the piece and the strut match.

I suspect that you could use pieces of an expired credit card to do the same thing. The credit card plastic is flexible, but very tough.

This whole problem must be the result of a bad batch of plastic as not all of us appear to be affected.

I do know that Dynam has used CF or laminated fiberglass for these parts in their other two biplanes, and no one is having a problem with them. I have posted a review about the problem at Grayson and NP. NP did not allow the post....they only approve positive reviews at NP apparently.
Tango_Romeo is offline Find More Posts by Tango_Romeo
Last edited by Tango_Romeo; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Romeo View Post
Whether the outer wing struts are CF or laminaterd fiberglass, the attachment points I made using pieces cut from a spare set of these (7 of 12 so far) are holding fine. Have not dared any aerobatics yet.

I am cutting out a small section of the spare strut that includes one of the many predrilled holes. After grinding down the remainder of the broken plastic polint, I slit the foam parallel to the position of the original attachment point, and epoxy the new piece into place...making sure that the alignment of the holes in the piece and the strut match.

I suspect that you could use pieces of an expired credit card to do the same thing. The credit card plastic is flexible, but very tough.

This whole problem must be the result of a bad batch of plastic as not all of us appear to be affected.

I do know that Dynam has used CF or laminated fiberglass for these parts in their other two biplanes, and no one is having a problem with them. I have posted a review about the problem at Grayson and NP. NP did not allow the post....they only approve positive reviews at NP apparently.
Maybe the glue they used affected the plastic?? Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
Corona, CA
P 51 Jockey's Avatar
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post


Really good idea. I do think having 3 of them is too even sounding though. I'm going to try this with mine, but use 2 of them offset 60 degrees like the odd firing order of the Yamaha R1 motorcycle. Hopefully it will sound more radial.

Who knows, maybe only having one sounds good????
P 51 Jockey is online now Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:54 PM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
I flew the Waco again today on 3S with the 13x10 prop. It went fairly well but it was a bit windy and the sand was too soft on the beach. Ended up nosing it over on landing and busted my wood prop.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:45 PM
Registered User
Vrated's Avatar
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Yeah, mine is the same... the plastic just crumbles like stale bread. I might completely dig them out and replace with lite-ply or aluminum flashing.
I am not sure exactly what type of plastic is being used here for the struts referrenced above, but virgin plastic is best. Alot of places will recycle left over defects & short mold shots pieces etc. to be more cost effective, usually recycled plastic dosnt hold up as well as virgin plastic especially if recycled more than once. Being a former plastic injection mold maker I have seen first hand the differrence between recycled and virgin plastic products. Usually recycled plastic is more brittle and dosnt have near the strength of newer virgin plastic. I dont think even reinforceing the recycled plastic will help much. Just my 2 cents. I personally would make replacment struts from aluminum etc.
~Fred
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
I flew the Waco again today on 3S with the 13x10 prop. It went fairly well but it was a bit windy and the sand was too soft on the beach. Ended up nosing it over on landing and busted my wood prop.
Few today also. bit of breeze, used 4 cell 3300's needed a quite a few down clicks.
Battery is a nice tight fit.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Last edited by w4yn; Dec 01, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
Cabane reinforcing

I used CF tow and 30 min. Epoxy, filled in behind plastic mounts with light ply.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
64 Posts
Waco

My two sons and I all bought the Waco and they have both built their planes and the plastic has broken on them both. One has not even been in the air yet. Mine is waiting to be built
chardman is offline Find More Posts by chardman
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
It was the top wing cabane strut tabs that crumbled on mine... not the fuselage mounts.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Dumas Waco YMF-5 Biplane EP Kit 35" $50 shipped carrera0to60 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Aug 23, 2012 07:21 AM
Sold Vintage PICA WACO YMF.3 1/6 scale Unbuilt Kit spitfire1999 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jul 16, 2012 09:06 PM
Off Site Vintage PICA WACO YMF.3 NIB For Sale Come check it out! spitfire1999 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jun 23, 2012 09:05 AM
Sold Pica 1/5 scale Waco YMF - in the bones Hemikiller Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Apr 10, 2012 06:35 AM
For Sale LPU Great Planes Waco YMF-5D RTF $300 RCGill Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Mar 22, 2012 12:42 AM