HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:47 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
Just for grins:

Dynam Waco YMF : Noisemaker (2 min 0 sec)
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,404 Posts
I like where this is going. I wonder if making the "sticks" thicker would deepen the sound any. I have thought about doing this, and now someone has. Its the playing card in the bike spoke concept. Very Cool.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Formosa 2
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
Thicker, no. Longer, yes. But there is a limited amount of space how I have it mounted. The other option is to mounted the "tine" longitudinally through the fuselage, and open up a big enough hole in the firewall to give it room to vibrate without touching. A bamboo skewer comes to mind. It would also have to be located in such a way that it doesn't interfere with the battery bay.

My fin is very short and chamfered on the front edge to keep it from rubbing on the inside of the cowl... not much space in there. I aligned my tines to hide behind the cylinder heads.

The noise is deeper/louder than it sounds on camera... I think the camera has a built-in decibel dampener so it's muting some of the sound.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,404 Posts
I wonder if having 2 "sticks" instead of 3 would give more noticeable changes in throttle. Perhaps it would change the rhythm. I don't know, but I know I like this.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Formosa 2
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... more of an asymmetrical "tak,tak,___, tak, tak,___" instead of "tak, tak, tak, tak, tak, tak". You can see that I also tried using a drinking straw but with the lack of clearance behind the dummy radial it was just too stubby to give a good sound. Best way to experiment is to add the little fin then run the motor up and try different "sticks" at different lengths. If there is room under the battery floor, I would embed a wooden resonator box and run my "stick" out from that. Wood planes work better because often the motor-mount box serves perfectly as a resonator.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Romeo View Post
Dynam has ruined a nearly perfect airplane by molding the strut anchors in the wings in yellow plastic instead of using carbon fiber as in the other Dynam biplanes. The anchor points begin to wear and fail almost immediately under normal flight stresses. I'm on my second set of struts already and will probably have to fabricate some carbon fiber anchors, if I want to keep this plane in the air. And I'm not sure the plane is worth the amount of work involved.

Unless Dynam corrects this problem, you're in for trouble with this particular plane. And that's a real shame since otherwise the aircraft is absolutely magnificent.
Dynam Wako DY8952 Spareparts
just pop old out new in and glue
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-wako-09-wingstruts.html
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
The problem is that the replacement parts are no better than the originals. Those strut-attachment tabs are made from weak plastic that crush and break too easily. I broke two cabane strut tabs during assembly. I think the steel cabanes themselves were not angled enough and that, in turn, stressed the plastic. They should had made them from CF like the interplane struts. And for that matter, the cabane struts are ridiculously heavy, made from stamped steel instead of aluminum (or even lite-ply would have been sufficient).
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Hey Warhead,

How did you attach the pieces of old credit card to the firewall?

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
I just cut out an "L" from the corner of an old credit card then made a slit in the foam and glued it in using the supplied glue. A dental flosser would also work, but trim off the sharp point or it will cut through the fin.

The longer you can make the "stick", the deeper the tone you will have, but also the stiffer it needs to be otherwise it will vibrate all over the place and not make consistent contact with the "fin".

And if you can solidly mount the "stick" to a hollow box with an air-hole in it, it will resonate/amplify the sound.... like a tuning fork.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, MI, Romulus
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
It looks like the the "fin" is just tape folded over on itself...right? Would it help to sandwich something (like a small piece of plastic) in that fold?
aphily8ed is offline Find More Posts by aphily8ed
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
Yes, it's just a fold of tape. Not sure whether a sandwich of plastic would help.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
Been there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops3 View Post
Dynam Wako DY8952 Spareparts
just pop old out new in and glue
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-wako-09-wingstruts.html
...; done that. The replacement parts broke just like the originals. The only possible solution is to fabricate your own attach points from carbon fiber, which I have done. We'll see if they hold. Film at 11.
Tango_Romeo is offline Find More Posts by Tango_Romeo
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
663 Posts
One of mine crumbled while I put the plane together the first time.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
United States, MI, Romulus
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Where do you get this carbon fiber, and what shape and size do you use?
aphily8ed is offline Find More Posts by aphily8ed
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:26 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have had no problem with this area, I followed the the lead of someone else and used 3mm button socket heads, washers and locknuts. Over 100 ten minute flights and the struts are as solid as the day I put them in.
Ken Smith
Be Safe
Yea, I don't understand all the talk about the "bad" strut anchors. They are perfectly designed as is. Tons of hard scale aerobatics with mine, and no hint of a failure anywhere. I even drilled mine out to accept 2-56 bolts and lock nuts. Also, there is no "carbon"on this airplane. It's laminated fiberglass sheet. Yea, its black, but it's not carbon.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub