Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:52 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,969 Posts
**Wagstaff**
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:31 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
**Wagstaff**
Tnx, old gray cells and never could spell worth a ------
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Girl co-pilots go in the front seat.
All my "busty" pilots are either too big (sic) or to small (shame full)

Need to find some correct scale YL's with proper enhancements!
Tim
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
Finished! She's ready to fly. I need to paint the white clevises and do a little touch up, but that can wait until after I fly it this Sunday!

Oh, she has a 700 watt 4240 750kv motor stuffed in on 4 cell.
What type of paint did you use? Now that I've successfully flown my a couple times and it is getting windy here again, I'm thinking about painting mine but don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,
Steve
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Tell that to Patti Winestaff
Tim
You tell her she's a co-pilot
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
779 Posts
motor stutter

Got my Waco all done but won`t be flying anytime soon. Question, did anyone figure out a cure or reason for the stuttering on slow start up on the stock esc and motor? Mine does stutter if I give just a slight bit of throttle but if I just go to like 1/8 throttle it does not show up...

Thanks
skylane42 is online now Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:38 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
Got my Waco all done but won`t be flying anytime soon. Question, did anyone figure out a cure or reason for the stuttering on slow start up on the stock esc and motor? Mine does stutter if I give just a slight bit of throttle but if I just go to like 1/8 throttle it does not show up...

Thanks
If you go back and review the ESC issue in this thread you will find that the solution is to replace the ESC with one that actually works. There are many options available on aftermarket ESC's. The $13 ESC supplied with the Waco is marginal at best and may in some cases actually work - if you are lucky! But there is nothing you can do about it if is defective except replace it.

As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Mine does the stutter at very slight throttle sometimes as well. I just advance the throttle a little bit more. I can't fly at 1 or 2 clicks of throttle anyway. It comes down cool and seems to be fine, but I use a Dimension Engineering sport BEC (that I can move from plane to plane) just in case. I have about 25 flights on it so far with no problems and it flies great! I've only had 1 ESC give up the ghost in over 20 planes and that was on a small edf where I actually had the fan installed too tightly in the fuse causing the fan to rub against the housing slightly. All but one of those ESCs are HK Plush or Dynam ESCs from Hobby Partz. Call me lucky I suppose. Anyway, It's working for me..... Your mileage may vary.

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
My Dynams does stutter also but works fine, has many flights on it. I think I just got a lemon happens. Good part is I purchased at Grayson and they will take care of it.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Mine does the stutter at very slight throttle sometimes as well. I just advance the throttle a little bit more. I can't fly at 1 or 2 clicks of throttle anyway. It comes down cool and seems to be fine, but I use a Dimension Engineering sport BEC (that I can move from plane to plane) just in case. I have about 25 flights on it so far with no problems and it flies great! I've only had 1 ESC give up the ghost in over 20 planes and that was on a small edf where I actually had the fan installed too tightly in the fuse causing the fan to rub against the housing slightly. All but one of those ESCs are HK Plush or Dynam ESCs from Hobby Partz. Call me lucky I suppose. Anyway, It's working for me..... Your mileage may vary.

Norm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,969 Posts
Stuttering is often caused by the "soft start" effect. If the ESC you have does not allow for start-up adjustments, then the motor will often studder on start-up at very low throttle settings. It actually doesn't hurt anything. It sounds weird, and requires you to take the throttle up a bit before bringing it back down to a very low idle. If the ESC does not have a programming adjustment for this, then you can swap it out and toss it in the ol' scrounge box. It may not do it with a different motor; largely dependent on internal resistance values and input voltage of the particular setup.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Hmm, Hadn't thought about the soft start feature. I believe that is adjustable on these ESCs. It's lit up on the prgramming card anyway.
Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:44 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
779 Posts
The manual details the esc programing for soft start and other options. I think I read in these post that the esc comes preset at normal. The other options are soft start and super soft start. If you figure something else out, let us know...
skylane42 is online now Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,093 Posts
On the ESC I agree with e-flight Ken, R & R that baby you will be a happy and relaxed flier. I did a thread on ESC and I believe the the HobbyWing line is the best bang for the buck, cost a little more but great performance and peace of mind

Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Did all of you guys Waco's come with a 50 amp esc? What amp esc's have you guys been putting back in them? I think I've read anywhere from 40 to 45 amp esc's, or are most of you putting a 50 amp back in? Anyone put a watt meter on the stock setup to see what its pulling?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Did all of you guys Waco's come with a 50 amp esc? What amp esc's have you guys been putting back in them? I think I've read anywhere from 40 to 45 amp esc's, or are most of you putting a 50 amp back in? Anyone put a watt meter on the stock setup to see what its pulling?
Mine came with 40 and was DOA, I installed a 50 THZ that I had in shop.

Tim