HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Thanks for all the good feedback on the Waco gear durability...now I'm gettin' a real itchy trigger finger....

Juan
Nevada City, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
How's the stock main landing gear holding up for you guys that are flying the Waco alot?

Is the stock gear holding up OK on grass fields after many cycles?

How's the tailwheel steering? Good positive control?

I gotta Peaks and the gear is holding up OK, but on pavement only...I have the HK 1400mm J-3 Cub that's pretty weak in this department, she is also a bit too heavy/high wing loading (for a cub).

I'm looking for a fun, relaxing, touch and go machine that can take a little abuse.

Thanks,
JB
Nevada City, CA.
visualizerent is offline Find More Posts by visualizerent
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
711 Posts
I got mine from NitroPlanes this week. I don`t plan on being in any hurry as the weather here in Michigan is turning pretty cold. I have decided as my first step to paint the plane with gloss clear poly. I don`t really like the flat look. I do plan on removing some of the lower cowl for better airflow over the esc. I have plenty of 3s lipos so I am interested in what kind of flight performance anyone may get with these before I order any 4s packs. So if someone wants to try a 3s and post the results compared to a 4s, I sure would be interested in the results.

I too, am impressed with the plane so far. I always find the hardward that comes with these planes lacking so some hardware upgrades will happen along the way. Why don`t one of you do a product review on the Wako for RCG? There is definately interest in it. I think to date my favorite plane to fly has been the Platt Waco, 1/6 scale. Just flew very scale. That is why when I saw this electric version I knew I wanted it.

Thanks to all for your views on the kit and helpful hints.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
I got mine from NitroPlanes this week. I don`t plan on being in any hurry as the weather here in Michigan is turning pretty cold. I have decided as my first step to paint the plane with gloss clear poly. I don`t really like the flat look. I do plan on removing some of the lower cowl for better airflow over the esc. I have plenty of 3s lipos so I am interested in what kind of flight performance anyone may get with these before I order any 4s packs. So if someone wants to try a 3s and post the results compared to a 4s, I sure would be interested in the results.

I too, am impressed with the plane so far. I always find the hardward that comes with these planes lacking so some hardware upgrades will happen along the way. Why don`t one of you do a product review on the Wako for RCG? There is definately interest in it. I think to date my favorite plane to fly has been the Platt Waco, 1/6 scale. Just flew very scale. That is why when I saw this electric version I knew I wanted it.

Thanks to all for your views on the kit and helpful hints.
I don't think I would even try a 3 cell in this plane. You would have to put a bigger prop on and it would probably not fly as well as it does with a stock set up.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
663 Posts
I replaced all the wing attachment hardware and all the control horn screws with longer button/hex head screws and nylon insert lock nuts. Money well spent for peace of mind & confidence.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Just received mine from Nitro Planes yesterday and just like skylane42, the weather here in Ohio just turned to crap today. Cold and rainy all weekend. Good time to get it put together and ready to fly for the next nice weather day. Picked up a CC BEC and new prop at Radical RC on my way home from work just as a precaution for any ESC issues. Hit the shop floor at work this morning to pick up bolts and nuts for the wings and control horns so I should be good to go.
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
663 Posts
Skylane42 and e_gadgetgeek you guys are in store for a real treat when you see them fly. Don't expect too much on ground handling especially with a cross wind. But, once your up, it's grand fun.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Skylane42 and e_gadgetgeek you guys are in store for a real treat when you see them fly. Don't expect too much on ground handling especially with a cross wind. But, once your up, it's grand fun.
Looked at the forecast. Looks like a week from Saturday will be the first day where winds will be below 10 MPH here in West Central Ohio. I guess that is plenty of time to make sure she is put together and double checked. I have seen the videos and can't wait to get my own up in the air. The best part is its maiden flight will be at Waco Field, the home of the Waco Historical Society and Waco R/C Barnstormers, here in Troy, Ohio. The funny thing is, I haven't seen any one fly an R/C Waco at the field.

Steve

http://www.wacoairmuseum.org
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Started putting together my plane and noticed a circuit board inline with the connection between the receiver and ESC. I was wondering what this is and is it needed.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:26 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_gadgetgeek View Post
Started putting together my plane and noticed a circuit board inline with the connection between the receiver and ESC. I was wondering what this is and is it needed.
That part didn't come with my Waco so I'm not sure what it is. However, earlier in this thread I commented about the ESC not setting up properly with my Futaba 12FG so I discarded their ESC for a 40 Amp E-flite version. I followed their process in the manual for setting the high and low throttle points but the supplied ESC could not recognize my low throttle point unless I offset the throttle trim down about 12 or so clicks.

I'm wondering if that is some circuit that modifies the pulse width sent to the ESC from the receiver to make it more compatible. Who knows!

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
That part didn't come with my Waco so I'm not sure what it is. However, earlier in this thread I commented about the ESC not setting up properly with my Futaba 12FG so I discarded their ESC for a 40 Amp E-flite version. I followed their process in the manual for setting the high and low throttle points but the supplied ESC could not recognize my low throttle point unless I offset the throttle trim down about 12 or so clicks.

I'm wondering if that is some circuit that modifies the pulse width sent to the ESC from the receiver to make it more compatible. Who knows!

Ken
Mine did not have the board I bet it is for the lighting I kept wondering how to hook up lights and add resistor in series. I ended up changing LED's to ones with built in resistors and wired them in series to use on 14 volts.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Mine did not have the board I bet it is for the lighting I kept wondering how to hook up lights and add resistor in series. I ended up changing LED's to ones with built in resistors and wired them in series to use on 14 volts.
Tim
My bad I missed the picture, that in toroid inductors to reduce interference to RX.
Tim
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Tim & Ken,

Thanks for the quick replies. I think Ken maybe on to something. Tim, don't think it is for the LEDs since it is inline with no connections to hook the LEDs do. Also, from one amateur radio operator to another, you are correct about the toroid to keep the ESC from interfering with the receiver. I guess I will do some testing with it inline and with it out to see if it makes a difference.

Regards,
Steve
KD8AIV
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_gadgetgeek View Post
Tim & Ken,

Thanks for the quick replies. I think Ken maybe on to something. Tim, don't think it is for the LEDs since it is inline with no connections to hook the LEDs do. Also, from one amateur radio operator to another, you are correct about the toroid to keep the ESC from interfering with the receiver. I guess I will do some testing with it inline and with it out to see if it makes a difference.

Regards,
Steve
KD8AIV
Used to K8 in Toledo 60-70's
Tim
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:49 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
I want to use Velcro to hold the battery but I am having trouble getting it to stick. Don't know if there is a release agent on the foam but CA didn't hold it and while I haven't tried epoxy in this spot and I did try to use it to in another spot and it didn't hold. Maybe with the CA being used there I may have removed the agent if there was one there. What say yea?
So after all that what are you doing to hold the battery or have you had success with the glues.
Thanks
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:57 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Have you tried the 3M Super 77 spray adhesive? The hard part would be spraying in just that spot you need it. You may have to mask it off. I would also try just a small amount to make sure it doesn't react with the foam. Another possibility would be to take a thin piece of plywood and screw it in place as a foundation for the Velcro. Just some thoughts. I haven't gotten to the point of installing the battery on mine yet.

Steve