HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Landing Gear Durability Question

How's the stock main landing gear holding up for you guys that are flying the Waco alot?

Is the stock gear holding up OK on grass fields after many cycles?

How's the tailwheel steering? Good positive control?

I gotta Peaks and the gear is holding up OK, but on pavement only...I have the HK 1400mm J-3 Cub that's pretty weak in this department, she is also a bit too heavy/high wing loading (for a cub).

I'm looking for a fun, relaxing, touch and go machine that can take a little abuse.

Thanks,
JB
Nevada City, CA.
visualizerent is offline Find More Posts by visualizerent
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
How's the stock main landing gear holding up for you guys that are flying the Waco alot?

I gotta Peaks and the gear is holding up OK, but on pavement only...I have the HK 1400mm J-3 Cub that's pretty weak in this department, she is also a bit too heavy/high wing loading (for a cub).

I'm looking for a fun, relaxing, touch and go machine that can take a little abuse.

Thanks,
JB
Nevada City, CA.
Have not maidened mine but fly there Pitts a lot, small wheels so grass can be an issue. Gear itself is fine, just beef up mounting area with some balsa and epovy filler. The Pitts is a pussy cat to land I expect Waco to same.
For real easy touch and goes just get a PZ T-28, one of the best all round planes ever.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
JB
Nevada City, CA.
Love mine. 4 more flights yesterday. I fly off grass (cut short weekly) and the landing gear is holding up fine. I have not however, had any hard landings yet, but it seems up to the task. Take offs are beautifully scale if you just gently ease on the throttle and keep things straight with the rudder / tail wheel (which provides great control IMO). It lifts off at just about half throttle and I fly most of my entire flights at half to two thirds throttle and get about 7-8 minutes on a Zippy 4s 2650mah battery. I posted a video back on page 12 of this thread that shows the grass at my field and some scale flight. I'm really enjoying mine. It looks awesome in the evening sky with the sunset as a backdrop! My only concern is that the motor comes down pretty hot. I'm going to cut out more of the spaces between the cylinders on the dummy motor in the cowl and see if the added airflow helps.
Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Last edited by Norm62; Oct 24, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,540 Posts
It looks like Grayson and PW-RC are out of stock on these. Besides nitroplanes, is there anywhere else selling these?

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
It looks like Grayson and PW-RC are out of stock on these. Besides nitroplanes, is there anywhere else selling these?

Mike
Contact Steve at killerplanes.com . It's not on their website, but that's where I got mine.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Love mine. 4 more flights yesterday. I fly off grass (cut short weekly) and the landing gear is holding up fine. I have not however, had any hard landings yet, but it seems up to the task. Take offs are beautifully scale if you just gently ease on the throttle and keep things straight with the rudder / tail wheel (which provides great control IMO). It lifts off at just about half throttle and I fly most of my entire flights at half to two thirds throttle and get about 7-8 minutes on a Zippy 4s 2650mah battery. I posted a video back on page 12 of this thread that shows the grass at my field and some scale flight. I'm really enjoying mine. It looks awesome in the evening sky with the sunset as a backdrop! My only concern is that the motor comes down pretty hot. I'm going to cut out more of the spaces between the cylinders on the dummy motor in the cowl and see if the added airflow helps.
Norm
Exactly my experience, I can set timer to 8 minutes but if I do some full power verticle rolls etc it will come back at around 7.4-5 volts per cell, so I backed it down to 6 and ignore buzzer if I am just relaxing on throttle. I use 2600 Sky 30c cells. Motor and pack are warm but not hot at least in current 70 degree weather.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
JB
Nevada City, CA.
I have not had any problems with the landing gear, and I have landed pretty hard on occasions. I haven't flown off grass, and if I were to do that I think I would remove the wheel pants. The only problem I have had with this plane was the stock ESC. It failed after the third flight.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Terry, what were the symptoms/events when the ESC failed?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I have not had any problems with the landing gear, and I have landed pretty hard on occasions. I haven't flown off grass, and if I were to do that I think I would remove the wheel pants.

Terry
I fly off of grass AND have kept my pants on....

...does that sound right?
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Terry, what were the symptoms/events when the ESC failed?
When I put a new prop on I ran up the motor and when I went past 1/2 throttle the motor started to stutter and stopped turning. I checked the connections and could not find anything wrong. I ran the motor up again and the same thing happened except this time the motor started to get very hot. I put in a different ESC and no more problems. It has been flying great ever since with all the stock equipment except for the ESC, and the 12x8 Zinger wood prop.

Terry
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
I fly off of grass AND have kept my pants on....

...does that sound right?
The grass I would have to fly off of and land on is pretty long and would probably get caught in between the pants and the wheel. I just feel more comfortable flying off the hard pack runway at the CAM field in Sedona AZ.

Terry
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Terry, your at least the second person on this thread that had a problem with the ESC. I think I'll go ahead and order one to have it on hand for when mine shoots craps.

What kind/size ESC did you replace it with?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
... and the 12x8 Zinger wood prop.

Terry
I like that idea... Bet that looks cool. Does it work with the stock adapter?
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Terry, your at least the second person on this thread that had a problem with the ESC. I think I'll go ahead and order one to have it on hand for when mine shoots craps.

What kind/size ESC did you replace it with?
I used a FMS 50 amp ESC that I had from another plane.

Terry
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
I like that idea... Bet that looks cool. Does it work with the stock adapter?
I had to ream out the prop to fit, other than that it fit just fine. It also seems to pull less amps and flys a little faster.

Terry