Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:28 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
75 Posts
Here is a real nice video. Note the registration number!

Waco YMF at PDK (2 min 44 sec)

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Hey, that's our plane!!
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
I see Jwellsy has hired a pilot for his Waco. Has anyone else added one? If so, where did you get then and what size are they?
I found this pilot in a junk bin at a local hobby shop. The body was in a baggie that had 2 stickers on it for both 1/5 and 1/7 scale. I knew the shoulders would be close but I didn't like the head. So I found a head that I did like loose in the bottom of the bin, so I used the torso from one because I liked the jacket and the head from another because it fits the Waco style better. They were both Centuryjet pilots. He turned out not very photogenic but looks pretty good in person.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2012
837 Posts
I originally had the receiver velcro'd in place. But that seemed kind of wonky and I knocked it loose once. So I epoxied in a couple of tie down points that can hold it securely with a wire tie.

Name: RCVR Hold Down.jpg
Views: 214
Size: 161.3 KB
Description: Dynam Waco Interior Mods
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
I have joined the party. Patiently waiting for mine to arrive. Ordered it Thursday night and scheduled to be here this coming Thursday. That should give me time to digest all the great information in this thread. Thanks to all of you who have provided this information. Can't wait to finally have a Waco in my hanger. I have a couple balsa kits that are still in the box.

Steve
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:14 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_gadgetgeek View Post
I have joined the party. Patiently waiting for mine to arrive. Ordered it Thursday night and scheduled to be here this coming Thursday. That should give me time to digest all the great information in this thread. Thanks to all of you who have provided this information. Can't wait to finally have a Waco in my hanger. I have a couple balsa kits that are still in the box.

Steve
Really..... What kits?
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
I ordered the Dynam Waco. I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years. Can't believe how much things have changed in that amount of time.
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
889 Posts
Where are we at on the CG, 85, 90, 95 or none of the above?
A little nose heavy is OK for me, rather that, then to rekit it. I do not plan to add any weight, I am using TP 4S 2700 as these batteries are lighter then most, may have to scoot it foreward a little more then most. Looking foreward to flying this model.

On another note where was the video shot of the Waco?
Thanks
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
A little nose heavy is OK for me, rather that, then to rekit it. I do not plan to add any weight, I am using TP 4S 2700 as these batteries are lighter then most, may have to scoot it foreward a little more then most. Looking foreward to flying this model.

On another note where was the video shot of the Waco?
Thanks
Ken Smith
As for CG, probably all of the above are OK and just a matter of personal preference. I don't believe it's critical and you have a lot of leeway.

PDK is Peachtree Dekalb Airport near Atlanta. That particular Waco has also spent time in Maine during the summer season giving tourists rides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeKalb-Peachtree_Airport

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dekalb-peach...port-atlanta-5

Ken
Last edited by e-flight-Ken; Oct 20, 2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
h
Hi Ken,

I was worried about that as well for my maiden. My 4s 2200Mah lipo (Sky Brand) was all the way forward and my CG was dead on at 75mm. Flew beautifully with just a click of UP elevator

Paul
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
As for CG, probably all of the above are OK and just a matter of personal preference. I don't believe it's critical and you have a lot of leeway.

Ken
I agree with e-Flight Ken
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
I agree with e-Flight Ken
Thank you sirs

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Last edited by Ken Smith; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Additional items
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
837 Posts
Well, finally I got my maiden flight in today. It flies great with low winds. But, loves to weather vane in higher winds. Right now my threshold for flying or not is 15mph inline with a runway and 10 mph if crosswind. The only trim it needed was 1 or 2 clicks of down elevator depending on throttle setting. Stalls were very gentle and straight ahead without a hint of tipstall.

It seemed to be a little sluggish with the OEM prop. So I changed out the original 12x6 prop with a 12.5x6 Graupner and it had much better authority, scale performance and predictability.

I started out with the recommended throws as my low rates and ~20% higher for high rate. I didn't like the recommended throws, but my high rates seem just about right.

Another guy at the field this weekend had a Dynam warbird and after a few flights the engine came off the firewall. Actually it was the screws that hold the mounting plate to the motor housing that came loose. I checked mine and added small lock washers and blue lock tight. To make up for lock washer spacing I add flat washers between the motor mount and the firewall, and lock washers on the firewall screws. I found the motor/mount screws fairly tight. But the mount/firewall screws were not tight at all. I encourage everyone to check theirs.

This plane was well worth the money.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,256 Posts
I flew mine today with the COG set at 90 mm and still had to give it some up elev trim. I did notice that it landed slower and did not bounce as much as before. So for me that is where I am going to leave the COG at.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
75 Posts
Had a great low wind flying day so I managed four flights on the Waco this morning. I switched to an APC 12x8E prop which draws about the same current as the OEM 12x6. I could hold altitude with the throttle set exactly at the half way point with the 12X8.

When the winds picked up, I noticed the tendency to weathervane. You have to fight the winds a bit to get it turned.

I need to practice the takeoff rolls more since the Waco likes to veer to the left just like my warbirds. On my last flight, I was carefull about advancing the throttle smoothly and staying on the rudder and she tracked fairly straight.

Hope you are all having fun flying your Wacos.

Ken