HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Two questions has anyone had control surface failure at the hinges? I have looked at the hinges and they appear to very good, I have flown many hours with these types of hinges Parkzone Multiplex and have had no problems.
Has anyone flown at the 90mm CG?
Thanks
Ken Smith
I had cracks through the aileron hinges in two places on the Waco after flexing them during assembly. So I just taped everything. Many of the Parkzone planes come with hinge material on the ailerons. For example, I just looked at my T-28, F4F, P-51 and P-47 and all have aileron hinge tape. The P-47 also has the hinge tape on the flaps. That's the way they came from the factory.

Haven't flown the Waco yet, but maybe tomorrow. CG is somewhere between 90 to 100mm back from top wing LE.

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
672 Posts
Do you use hinge tape parallel to the hinge line or perpendicular? I saw a Youtube video that claims you should do it perpendicular with alternate spacing on both sides of the control surface.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Do you use hinge tape parallel to the hinge line or perpendicular? I saw a Youtube video that claims you should do it perpendicular with alternate spacing on both sides of the control surface.
On the Waco, since the hinges are in the center of the control surface edge, with a recess on top and bottom, I taped perpendicular and on both sides of the control surface. I don't try to make alternate spacings. The hinges on either side are most often on top of each other. I use one of the folded carboard labels attached to parts bags to press the tape down into the hinge recess and against all exposed surfaces.

If the mating surfaces are flush on top like the ailerons on many of Parkzones warbirds, I would tape parallel right on the hinge line and only on the top side just like the way Parkzone does it.

Ken
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
My tail wheel came with it's own pushrod connected to the same servo as the rudder pushrod. But, the tailwheel servo connection came missing a set screw and it operated exactly as you described. I used a small machine screw and blue locktite to fix it.
Managed to take the wings off and, sure enough the set screw on the rudder pushrod was as loose as can be. At least it came with a screw. Tomorrow is now the maiden after working with this plane for a few weeks now. First the ESC is bad, then the tail will is loose. Looking at the elevator today and noticed it's a bit warped. Hope everything goes ok.

I know this plane was half the price of my Parkzone planes but it also has half of the quality in my humble opinion. A good flight will erase all the frustration so lets see what the morning brings
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Two questions has anyone had control surface failure at the hinges? I have looked at the hinges and they appear to very good, I have flown many hours with these types of hinges Parkzone Multiplex and have had no problems.
Has anyone flown at the 90mm CG?
Thanks
Ken Smith
Very minimum?
Tape each control surface at each end!
Sometimes they'll break there and you may not even notice it and you'll get some flutter all of a sudden and then that surface will surely tear off! Not a pretty sight
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
522 Posts
Quote:
Thats how I've always done mine! Perpendicular! After you cut your piece let it relax before installing and never stretch it when installing it either!
As for the big birds? I use them on my 63" Pitts 11lbs. and my Sterling 1/5 scale Fok D VII also! I love the stuff
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:51 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Just got back from the maiden and all the frustrations melted away as it performed a flawless scale take off. Beautiful flight characteristics with just one click of down elevator needed. 2200 mah batteries were all the way forward in the battery compartment and CG was measured at 75mm. Two smooth landings and no nose overs on our grass field. Behaved just like a full scale plane. Best $129 (plus $35 for new ESC) I have ever spent

Paul
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Aug 2012
672 Posts

Congrats on a smooth maiden. I went to the field last night hoping the wind would calm down at dusk and allow my maiden to happen. But, no such luck. I did have fun burning up a couple of batteries taxiing back and forth in the the high wind. Even with high rate full up elevator and full rudder (1.75" throw) I had a very hard time overcoming the windvaning and get it turned around (most of the time it flat out wouldn't turn around due to the wind).

Name: Waco Sunset.jpg
Views: 203
Size: 146.5 KB
Description: Dynam Waco Sunset. Note cabane mounting point repair after OEM crumbled.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
I see Jwellsy has hired a pilot for his Waco. Has anyone else added one? If so, where did you get then and what size are they?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
373 Posts
1/9th size pilots fit pretty good.

Glad you got that thing in the air. I'm sure it was frustrating for you. I have a couple dozen flights on mine and it's still one of my favorite planes in my stable.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
Just got back from the maiden and all the frustrations melted away as it performed a flawless scale take off. Beautiful flight characteristics with just one click of down elevator needed. 2200 mah batteries were all the way forward in the battery compartment and CG was measured at 75mm. Two smooth landings and no nose overs on our grass field. Behaved just like a full scale plane. Best $129 (plus $35 for new ESC) I have ever spent

Paul
Congrats Paul!

The weather gods were also good to me today. I was able to get the maiden flight in during the morning hours before the winds picked up. Flew for 7.25 minutes and took about 65% of the charge out of my TP4S 2600 Pro Lite V2.

Plane is stock except for a swapout of the included $13 ESC/BEC for a E-flite 40-Amp Lite Pro Switch-Mode BEC (EFLA1040L). I blendermed all the control surface and replaced the itsy bitsy teenie weenie strut screws with Dubro 2.5mm x 8mm cap head screws and appropriate washers and nuts.

Sounds like our flights were about the same complete with grass landings. I was impressed with how smooth it settled into the grass without even a hint of a nose over. That is probably due to the LG being well ahead of the CG.

My initial CG was at about 85mm and even then I had to give about nine clicks of up trim. Can probably go back to 90mm easily. I can see the slight upward tilt of the elevator with the elevator stick in neutral. I had to add about six clicks of right Aileron which results in both left Ailerons down about 1mm with stick in neutral.

Overall a great gentle flyer and the bright color gave it a real presence in the bright blue sky we have today.

Ken
Last edited by e-flight-Ken; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
HI Ken,

Glad to hear your experience was as positive as mine. It really is a beautiful plane and a great morning. The yellow really commands you to look at it. The landings were very sweet. My other biplanes, SE5 and Albatros from Parkzone also fly beautifully but are prone to nose overs.

It's amazing as to the different CGs we all have been experiencing
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
I had to add about six clicks of right Aileron which results in both left Ailerons down about 1mm with stick in neutral.
That's interesting. I epoxied 1/4 oz of lead near the right wing tip to get it to balance side to side. I had assumed it was because of a left cabane attachment point repair. If you click on the pic above you can see it in the lower left corner where where both ends of that OEM piece just crumbled.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
672 Posts
I wish that I had sprayed the decal sheet with a flat clear coat before putting them on. They would match the flat yellow foam better.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
For those that didn't know that these beautiful planes are still being made

New YMF-5D

Waco home page
Last edited by pmacko; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:26 PM.