SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:21 AM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
Thanks Ken, I also ordered a new ESC from Headsup RC. The Hurc 50amp ESC arrived yesterday but it has 4mm bullet connectors so I need to figure something out. I just can't seem to get this plane in the air
The 50amp Hurc ESC from HeadsupRC came with 4mm male bullet connectors so I just soldered them onto the ends of the 3.5mm ones that come stock on the Detrum motor. This seems to work fine after testing with a prop. Looking forward to the maiden but now, after taxiing tests I've notice a new problem. The tail wheel doesn't;t really track very well with the rudder. It will turn but doesn't necessarily return to neutral when you move the rudder.

Any thoughts?

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Last edited by pmacko; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: misspelled word
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
My tail wheel came with it's own pushrod connected to the same servo as the rudder pushrod. But, the tailwheel servo connection came missing a set screw and it operated exactly as you described. I used a small machine screw and blue locktite to fix it.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
The 50amp Hurc ESC from HeadsupRC came with 4mm male bullet connectors so I just soldered them onto the ends of the 3.5mm ones that come stock on the Detrum motor. This seems to work fine after testing with a prop. Looking forward to the maiden but now, after taxiing tests I've notice a new problem. The tail wheel doesn't;t really track very well with the rudder. It will turn but doesn't necessarily return to neutral when you move the rudder.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Did you tighten the set screws? There is one in the collar on the tail wheel assembly below the fuselage (assembly step 3) and I believe one on the connecter on the rudder servo arm that allows adjustment of the tail wheel tracking.

Ken
e-flight-Ken is online now Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
Another issue I had was with the elevator pushrods. Mine came with a pushrod for each elevator half. The 2 rods are bound together with a wheel coller, set screw and a drop of glue.

The problem was the rods were not even at the elevator hing line, one of them was an inch longer/shorter than the other one with no way to adjust the clevis' that much.

I had to take the elevator pushrods out, drill out the collar set screw. The collar happend to have an unused set srew hole on the side opposite the used hole so getting the rods aligned and bound back together was easy.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
Did you tighten the set screws? There is one in the collar on the tail wheel assembly below the fuselage (assembly step 3) and I believe one on the connecter on the rudder servo arm that allows adjustment of the tail wheel tracking.

Ken
Several times I've tightened the screw in the collar to make sure it was tight. Do I have to disassemble the plane to get to the hardware on the rudder servo arm?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
My tail wheel came with it's own pushrod connected to the same servo as the rudder pushrod. But, the tailwheel servo connection came missing a set screw and it operated exactly as you described. I used a small machine screw and blue locktite to fix it.
how did you get to the push rod? I am hoping I can just unscrew the bottom wing and cabane struts from the fuselage and the keep the interplane struts on as well as the cabane connections to the top wing.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
Remove the bottom wing and it's right there. That's 7 bolts total.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Remove the bottom wing and it's right there. That's 7 bolts total.
I'll try that as soon as I get home this evening.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Another issue I had was with the elevator pushrods. Mine came with a pushrod for each elevator half. The 2 rods are bound together with a wheel coller, set screw and a drop of glue.

The problem was the rods were not even at the elevator hing line, one of them was an inch longer/shorter than the other one with no way to adjust the clevis' that much.

I had to take the elevator pushrods out, drill out the collar set screw. The collar happend to have an unused set srew hole on the side opposite the used hole so getting the rods aligned and bound back together was easy.

I want to send a personal thank you for taking the time to post this heads up, it saved me a lot of work and time. I had planned to solder these together and still will but thanks to you all is lined up correctly.
This is why I love this group
Thanks Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have wanted to try these receivers but I am afraid, I mean $6.00 for a receiver what a deal. I know this is not the place but want to ask how are these working for you? I went to the radio section but there was not much there, I have read in other threads that guys love these receivers then some don't.
Thanks Ken Smith
Be Safe
I've been using the simple orange 6ch ones for almost a year now and have never been glitched once! I have four of them
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,237 Posts
Well I'll be replacing my stock ESC for sure now. I never trust the bec's in them and always run a separate one for insurance, but as I was just getting ready to take off yesterday, the magic blue smoke just started pouring out of the fuselage. Not sure what happened other than the ESC decided to burn up on its on. Thankful it happened on the runway and not in the air. I guess some of these cheaper units are hit and miss. I do have 4 other Dynam foamy birds and have never had a hint of a electrical problem out of any of them.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
I've been using the simple orange 6ch ones for almost a year now and have never been glitched once! I have four of them
Dan
I have 5 of the 6ch ones and no problems so far.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
Another thing no one has talked about is how much weight it took to balance their Dynam Waco.

I used 4 oz of lead bound together and shoved as far forward in the battery compartment as possible, and a 4c 2650mah battery wedged and velcroed in behind that. The CG is ready for the maiden flight when the fall winds ever cooperate..
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Another thing no one has talked about is how much weight it took to balance their Dynam Waco.

I used 4 oz of lead bound together and shoved as far forward in the battery compartment as possible, and a 4c 2650mah battery wedged and velcroed in behind that. The CG is ready for the maiden flight when the fall winds ever cooperate..
You had better remove the lead. The battery doesn't need to be all the way forward. I balance mine just in front of the slots for the led wires for the wing tips. If you put all that lead in there you will be very nose heavy, I speak from experiance.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,237 Posts
It shouldn't take any weight to balance at all. I think you are the first person to mention this. You might want to check where your measuring your cg from again. It should balance with a 4 cell 2200 somewhere close to the center of the battery tray, or slightly foward of that with no extra weight needed at all.

I see Terry was typing a little faster than me.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub