Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Successful Maiden - Video

Maiden flight was this evening and all went well. First flight was with a NanoTech 4s 3300 35-70c battery (~353 grams). I tried repeatedly to make it a bit nose heavy for maiden by moving the battery forward a little bit at a time and checking CG at 73-75mm. Even with the battery all the way forward I still couldn't make it nose heavy at 75mm. I added and ounce of weight in the cowl and maidened it. To my surpriise, it was so nose heavy (!) in flight that I had to use nearly all of my up trim to get it to fly level. The 75 mm must be off IMO. I use a battery alarm that goes off once any cell in the pack drops to 3.6v. I started to worry at about 10 mins that I hadn't heard it yet, so I landed and checked it. The pack averaged 3.75 per cell after 10 1/2 mins of mixed throttle flying. Pretty impressive to me! So... I figure the CG mark is off and it's nose heavy, so I pulled 1/2 the nose weight that I had added to the cowl and ran the 2nd flight (in the attached video) with a Zippy 4S 2650 40c (~317grams) placed all the way forward in the bay. In flight, it still needed up elevator, but obviously not as much. As you can see from the video, it flies fine. Got about 7 1/2 minutes out of the 2650 with ~3.7v/c left after the flight. The ESC and motor came down warm, but the motor is getting pretty hot with mostly 1/2 throttle flying. I'm assuming it's the high timing setting on the esc, so I'm going to try it on medium and see if that helps. (What do you guys think?) Anyway, I love it! Once I get the balance sorted out to where I can fly it with little to no trim, It'll be perfect! The video of the second flight is a bit long because I don't like editing (sorry). Watching in HD is much better if your connection allows. Skip around if you get bored. Pretty mild flying just to get the feel of her. Only tried 1 roll and it was slooooow. Need to increase throws at the horns. Can't wait to fly her again tomorrow!

Norm

Dynam Waco Maiden Flight Day (8 min 32 sec)
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:30 AM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Can anyone tell me what size bullet connectors are on the stock Waco motor? I want to buy a new ESC and am not sure how to measure them. Thanks in advance

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
Can anyone tell me what size bullet connectors are on the stock Waco motor? I want to buy a new ESC and am not sure how to measure them. Thanks in advance

Paul
Mine came with Deans connector.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Mine came with Deans connector.

Tim
My bad I did not read correctly you wanted motor connector size, mine measure 3.65MM across bullet connector.
Tim
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
Neverr thought I'd thank someone for gettin screwed
Many Thanks,
Dan
There are someother ones around that cater to RC crowd and may have some specialty screws that Bolt Depot does not have but they are more per screw.
I try and convert to standard screws when possible I am using 3MM SS sockets on most of my Waco build now.

Tim
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post

Paul
They are standard 3.5mm. I just swapped out the OEM unit for an E-flite 40A Lite Pro Switch mode ESC/BEC and it plugged right into the origional Dynam motor. Didn't have to solder or change anything.

I made the swap because I didn't have a lot of confidence in the supplied ESC/BEC.

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Last edited by e-flight-Ken; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: correction
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
Clarksville, MD
Joined Aug 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Maiden flight was this evening and all went well. First flight was with a NanoTech 4s 3300 35-70c battery (~353 grams). I tried repeatedly to make it a bit nose heavy for maiden by moving the battery forward a little bit at a time and checking CG at 73-75mm. Even with the battery all the way forward I still couldn't make it nose heavy at 75mm. I added and ounce of weight in the cowl and maidened it. To my surpriise, it was so nose heavy (!) in flight that I had to use nearly all of my up trim to get it to fly level. The 75 mm must be off IMO. I use a battery alarm that goes off once any cell in the pack drops to 3.6v. I started to worry at about 10 mins that I hadn't heard it yet, so I landed and checked it. The pack averaged 3.75 per cell after 10 1/2 mins of mixed throttle flying. Pretty impressive to me! So... I figure the CG mark is off and it's nose heavy, so I pulled 1/2 the nose weight that I had added to the cowl and ran the 2nd flight (in the attached video) with a Zippy 4S 2650 40c (~317grams) placed all the way forward in the bay. In flight, it still needed up elevator, but obviously not as much. As you can see from the video, it flies fine. Got about 7 1/2 minutes out of the 2650 with ~3.7v/c left after the flight. The ESC and motor came down warm, but the motor is getting pretty hot with mostly 1/2 throttle flying. I'm assuming it's the high timing setting on the esc, so I'm going to try it on medium and see if that helps. (What do you guys think?) Anyway, I love it! Once I get the balance sorted out to where I can fly it with little to no trim, It'll be perfect! The video of the second flight is a bit long because I don't like editing (sorry). Watching in HD is much better if your connection allows. Skip around if you get bored. Pretty mild flying just to get the feel of her. Only tried 1 roll and it was slooooow. Need to increase throws at the horns. Can't wait to fly her again tomorrow!

Norm

http://youtu.be/OmObcUP94JQ
Norm,

Very nice video. When you get it sorted out, let us know where the CG should be. When I use their recommendation of 75mm, it does make my plane appear to be tail heavy but obviously that is not the case.

I took mine to the club field twice so far, but the high winds we always have kept me from the maiden flight. So I patiently wait for calmer conditions.

Ken
e-flight-Ken is offline Find More Posts by e-flight-Ken
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
Norm,

Very nice video. When you get it sorted out, let us know where the CG should be. When I use their recommendation of 75mm, it does make my plane appear to be tail heavy but obviously that is not the case.

I took mine to the club field twice so far, but the high winds we always have kept me from the maiden flight. So I patiently wait for calmer conditions.

Ken
I balance mine just in front of the slot for the LED light wires for the wing tips. I still have to give some up elev trim to fly level at 1/2 throttle, but it flys great and I don't have to put much down when inverted.

Terry
krazyman is online now Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
My bad I did not read correctly you wanted motor connector size, mine measure 3.65MM across bullet connector.
Tim
Thanks Tim
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken View Post
They are standard 3.5mm. I just swapped out the OEM unit for an E-flite 40A Lite Pro Switch mode ESC/BEC and it plugged right into the origional Dynam motor. Didn't have to solder or change anything.

I made the swap because I didn't have a lot of confidence in the supplied BEC.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I also ordered a new ESC from Headsup RC. The Hurc 50amp ESC arrived yesterday but it has 4mm bullet connectors so I need to figure something out. I just can't seem to get this plane in the air
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Where do you mount the receiver, in the lower cavity above the bottom wing or in the passageway between the upper and lower cavities so you can get to it through the hatch?
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Where do you mount the receiver, in the lower cavity above the bottom wing or in the passageway between the upper and lower cavities so you can get to it through the hatch?
I use an orange rx with satellite. I stuck the rx in the space behind the canopy in the top of the fuse (positioned side to side) and the satellite on the sidewall (positioned front to back).
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:28 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
I use an orange rx with satellite. I stuck the rx in the space behind the canopy in the top of the fuse (positioned side to side) and the satellite on the sidewall (positioned front to back).
I have wanted to try these receivers but I am afraid, I mean $6.00 for a receiver what a deal. I know this is not the place but want to ask how are these working for you? I went to the radio section but there was not much there, I have read in other threads that guys love these receivers then some don't.
Thanks Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have wanted to try these receivers but I am afraid, I mean $6.00 for a receiver what a deal. I know this is not the place but want to ask how are these working for you? I went to the radio section but there was not much there, I have read in other threads that guys love these receivers then some don't.
Thanks Ken Smith
Be Safe
Exactly right... Not looking for a debate, although you'll find plenty of that here on RCG, but I have 18 planes. 16 of them use the orange RXs, 2 use the RXs that came with my DX6i and my DX8. I've had 1 orange that wouldn't bind on arrival and tossed it because I buy 6 at a time and its not worth shipping back. All the rest ground test well past 30 paces. I've had 0 problems in the almost 2 years I've used them and fly at a nice sized field. YMMV. All I'll say is that my experiences with them have been good and they fit my philosophy for my hobby (most value for the buck). I WILL say though, that all of my planes are valued at $250 or less, which also fits that philosophy. So, as Mr. Gump says... "That's all I've got to say about that."

Norm