HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
Thanks P51 Jockey, that's where I figured this was heading. This is my first Graysons Hobby purchase so I hope they can support me on this
Yes please keep us informed this was my first buy from them too.
Although I must admit I am thinking about just replacing it there have been about 4 to 5 postings about this issue and I just do not want to take the chance of losing an airplane or hurting someone if it's not right I don't put it up
Thanks Ken Smith
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
Detrum is the manufacturer of the ESC. That sequence didn't do anything. There should be programming instructions towards the back of the instruction manual. If you have a Turnigy Plush programming card, that will work.

I have Detrum/Dynam ESC's in 9 airplanes including 5 cell powered FMS airplanes and they are all rock solid.
I also use Detrum ESC's, but the one that comes with the plane went bad after 3 flights. I use the program card and found the setting for the timing was set to high out of the box. I tried resetting to medium but had the same problem of the motor cutting out at more than half throttle. I ended up putting a 50 amp FMS ESC in and have not had any more problems.

Terry
krazyman is online now Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Although I must admit I am thinking about just replacing it there have been about 4 to 5 postings about this issue and I just do not want to take the chance of losing an airplane or hurting someone if it's not right I don't put it up
Thanks Ken Smith
I would put a different ESC in and then you would not have to worry about it. Once I replaced mine I have not had any problems, and have really enjoyed flying this plane.

Terry
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:00 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I would put a different ESC in and then you would not have to worry about it. Once I replaced mine I have not had any problems, and have really enjoyed flying this plane.

Terry
Something else I do in all my inexpensive foamies is put a decent Bec in them. It is a very cheap insurance policy, and has saved more than one of my airframes in the past. I always use the CC 10 amp unit. It's overkill in these planes, but at $21 they are bulletproof and take all the worry out of receiver/servo failure. Plus when you add lights and extras you about need one.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Something else I do in all my inexpensive foamies is put a decent Bec in them. It is a very cheap insurance policy, and has saved more than one of my airframes in the past. I always use the CC 10 amp unit. It's overkill in these planes, but at $21 they are bulletproof and take all the worry out of receiver/servo failure. Plus when you add lights and extras you about need one.
HI Scott, can you provide a link for this? I don't know what CC means
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:11 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Thanks Ken Smith
I have opened up a trouble ticket through Grayson's website. I'll keep you posted as to how this goes. I don't have a spare ESC rated above 30a

Paul
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:49 PM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
375 Posts
Here is where I buy mine. Their service and shipping cost/speed is excellent.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-CC-BEC/Detail
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:54 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
I also use a SBEC on all my planes. I learned a long time ago not to trust the ESC bec, especially when running on 4 cells.

Terry
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:18 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko View Post
HI Scott, can you provide a link for this? I don't know what CC means
CC is for the Mfg Castle Creations. I see P-51 posted a link above. Heads-up is a good shop also. I have ordered from them as well. They have the fastest shipping around I have seen.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Grayson got back to me and agreed they would replace the ESC. They did say that nearly 100% of the time it's bad soldering on the customers part but I know that is the case here. I suspect it will be the same one so I will probably just use that as a spare and buy a new (better) one.

Interesting thing when removing the old one, the red and black wires were crossed where they plug into the motor from the ESC. I corrected that and tested it but it still had the same problem although the power seemed greater so everyone may want to check that.

Any recommendations for a new ESC? I've never bought one before. What do I look for? 40A for 4s lipos I get but what else
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Mar 2005
951 Posts
About 6 months ago I asked the RC Group the same question which developed into a lively and informative discussion before I close it down. I came to the conclusion that Hobbywing was the one to go with. While no one really said it but it was strongly hinted at and if you look at the unit themselves that these are E-Flites manufacture. I AM NOT SAYING THAT BUT I VERY IMPRESS WITH THIS PRODUST LINE.
Here are a couple links http://www.hobbywing.com/index.asp this home page. This is where I bought it there are other locations if you want look around this is part of Nitro planes I WENT WITH THE Hobbywing 40A there are four levels of quality I went with the HobbyWing Platinum-40A-PRO Brushless ESC for Trex 400/450. I call and discuses with them about using this with a 4S Lipo and four servos and they said no problem. That is main reason I went with Hobbywing ESC http://www.hobbypartz.com/ho40aa.html I plan to use their Platinum 60A in my E-Flite Albatross and Super Cub (with 6 servos)
To me cost is not that important I use Thunder Power batteries because I know and trust them I cannot explain it other than to say I don’t care if the airplane or model what you wish to call them cost $25.00, to lose one is a personal affront to me if it is not right I don’t put it up. I guess that comes from my years of involvement with full scale planes. It is also one of the reasons that I have models 4 years old or older. I know and understand that every time I put a model up that could be the last flight of the model but I try to do everything I can to prevent that, be it equipment or me if I am not right I don’t fly I learned that lesson the hard way.
Somewhere I read that wisdom is acquired by bad experiences
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:19 PM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
375 Posts
Couple guys at my field have Hobby wing's in their airplanes. They seem to be trouble free. I use Detrum and Exceed. No problems so far.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
Couple guys at my field have Hobby wing's in their airplanes. They seem to be trouble free. I use Detrum and Exceed. No problems so far.
The same programming card works on Hobbywing, Turnigy, and Detrum ESCs, so I would think they are all the same with a different brand name on them.

Terry
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2005
951 Posts
Yes I agree, one of the things that came up in the thread I started was that there were about 3-4 Chinese companies manufacturing the ESC, the difference being components and quality controls. You see it in E-flite and in Hobbywing they have 3 to 4 levels of quality and load capacity (number of servos supported or BEC capacity)
Yes at times you may be paying for a name brand but that name is going to make sure that the quality of the product is there to protect that brand name so that there will be repeat business. You cannot buy a Cadillac at Pinto prices, (I am dating myself) you really see this when people are buying and talking about batteries “I got a great price on these batteries, had to throw two away and one lasted 3 flights but at these prices who cares, what a deal.” Who wants to put up a model, lose it or worse yet hurt someone or cause damage just because you got a great price on something? We have to be safe but that is another story and another thread.
The main reason I started the thread on ESC is I wanted E-Flites quality but did not want their switch mode, the switch is a pain to mount, gets in the way in tight places and I never use it. I wanted to see what else was out there and who was using what and as the thread developed Hobbywing started to shine I did a little looking and liked what I saw, so there it is.
The one thing that we can all agree on is this hobby can be very confusing as to what is the right product for me and this model, if you chose wrong then price can be very high.
Hope this helps
Be Safe Ken Smith
PS
Mine is showing up Thursday, bad news it looks like the wind will be howling in central TX this weekend I will building nice and slow
Last edited by Ken Smith; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,464 Posts
Ken, not sure what your trying to say but the switch on E-flite ESCs is not why they call them "switch-mode". Switch mode refers to the type of BEC voltage regulator built in. The other type is linear. Not going to go into details. Again, not knocking anybody but the way you wrote your comment above makes me think there is some confusion there.

On another note. Simply cut the switch off and leave enough wire to solder them together. Seal with heat shrink and you never have to worry about a physical switch again.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc