HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Where do you fly?(outdoor)
A club 32 21.48%
A local field 65 43.62%
Both 52 34.90%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
C4, then you can get yourself a killer bush plane and fly in the bush.. And to an above poster...Don't mess with Texas...or Mississippi. Seems like y'all live in a damn sardine can....My sis lives in HBeach, CA and while nice is like an ant mound. Y'all need sharks!! ZeeZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:56 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
I put my smaller models on my bicycle, and fly in the middle of nowhere, just outside Oslo.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I am not slanting the facts. I have only been there once and that is what I saw.
One data point, taken on a holiday, does not a trend make...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Ok, but I haven't been back since. Why are you harping on this so? That was my experience, case closed.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:51 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,438 Posts
Thomas B got to fly a few of the fields I fly at regularly around here. He can tell you how many people were there, being neither is a sanctioned field they get pretty crowded.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
Quote:
Ok, but I haven't been back since. Why are you harping on this so? That was my experience, case closed.
Because it seemed pretty improbable that what you experienced was the norm, based on my experiences when flying R/C in SoCal..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 08, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Thomas B got to fly a few of the fields I fly at regularly around here. He can tell you how many people were there, being neither is a sanctioned field they get pretty crowded.
I thought it was a nice little crowd, but certainly not crowded the days I was there. 5 or so at the Saturday site and around 10 at the Sunday site there in Va Beach. The Sunday group there at the park next to the middle school was about the most I have ever seen at one time at an independent site.

I travel a good bit for work and some for pleasure and have flown at dozens of club sites and dozens of independant sites in about half the the US states. I have always been made to feel pretty welcome anyplace I have gone. R/Cers are good folks.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,438 Posts
Very true, I think that day you were at the Sunday site was the most people I've seen there at one time.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
It probably isn't the norm. But, I didn't like what I saw.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,838 Posts
It's a nice club here, but hardly worth $65/year to join. There are endless open fields where it doesn't cost anything to join.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I like flying too much to be fussy about where I fly. I belong to two "sanctioned" clubs, one of which I never go to any more -- probably won't renew next year. I'm hardly above flying at any suitable vacant-looking outdoor space if the situation arises.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
It probably isn't the norm. But, I didn't like what I saw.
I think the point people are trying to make is go back and check out the field again a few times. You may be pleasantly surprised. And it really is nice to fly at a club field.

My club field tends to be quite busy on weekend mornings - and by busy I mean you might need to wait 5 or 10 minutes but not more. And it tends to be sparser especially toward late afternoon. I you want the place to yourself go at dinner time, and closer to sunset there are usually a couple guys there. Of course on the occasional fun fly days there are a lot of people, but those days you're not there to fly a lot, you're there to see other guys planes, talk about planes, and maybe fly once or twice.

I generally choose my times based on the above. If I want to fly and shoot the breeze, I go during busier times. If I want the place to myself so I can do 5 back to back flights of touch-n-goes I go around dinner time.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Fly out in a wheat field,take off on a paved road next to the field. wheat makes for a nice cushion landing
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:49 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
I'm a member of a small-ish club ... less than 20 members total, and usually only about 5 or 6 flying at any one time, if that. So I spend more time waiting for my batteries to charge than for my turn. But that's OK, because it's a good bunch of guys and we have almost as much fun talking shop as we do flying. Hanging out with other pilots is a big part of the reason I even do this.
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:16 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Although I "technically" fly at a club on the weekends, it's a free club. So it feels more like simply flying at a local field.

The field is government property and to get permission to fly there we had to appoint a bunch of guys as representatives. So we did. It's not an officially registered club or society. We don't collect fees. Newcomers don't need permission to fly with us (although we'd appreciate it if they introduce themselves). It's the absolute minimum necessary to get permission to fly there.

Weekdays I just fly in a clearing near my office or over the nearby lake during lunch or early in the morning before clocking in.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman