HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Where do you fly?(outdoor)
A club 32 21.48%
A local field 65 43.62%
Both 52 34.90%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Discussion
Where do you fly?

I go like this: If I have a day with not much to do, (weekends and summer) I get all my planes and fly at my club. If I only have a little time, I go to the soccer field with one.
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:40 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,371 Posts
I fly mainly at the club field and smaller leccys at a local field with a group of buddies and a Night Vapor in the front yard. Fly anywhere you can!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Club field and soccer fields when there's nobody there, and I will be flying my 32" 3d foamy in the backyard.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,939 Posts
I am a proud outlaw as the clubs around here are to separate the knowledgeable and cool haves from the scummy and unkempt have-nots. So I'll be proudly be scummy and unkempt and have fun without the need to impress ignoramouses. I can't spell the word anyway and can't be bothered to actually identify and belittle one. Wish there were a good club around but....... not here.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I am a proud outlaw as the clubs around here are to separate the knowledgeable and cool haves from the scummy and unkempt have-nots. So I'll be proudly be scummy and unkempt and have fun without the need to impress ignoramouses. I can't spell the word anyway and can't be bothered to actually identify and belittle one. Wish there were a good club around but....... not here.
Same thing here. At the nearest club to me, if you ain't got the latest, greatest, biggest, and best airplane, you are trash in their eyes, so me and #1 Son just head on down to the local Soccer/Skateboard/Tennis/Basketball complex in the wee hours of the AM, and have to whole place to ourselves for a good 3 or 4 hours before anyone shows up. Pretty big place too...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:47 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,354 Posts
Club field about half the time, we have a great bunch of guys with all kinds of interest from pattern,sailplanes,old timers,control line,free flight,helos,scale gas,glow,electric,rubber, CO2,antique ignition,DLG or anything else. It don't have to be the latest or the most expensive, just so it flys. Been with the same club for 40 years more or less. For evening goofing or long quiet sailplane sessions the local schoolyard of 64 open acres with a large sky view for ranging looking for thermals.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:00 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
I fly off my 40 acres in the Arizona desert next to the mountains...
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Club field about half the time, we have a great bunch of guys with all kinds of interest from pattern,sailplanes,old timers,control line,free flight,helos,scale gas,glow,electric,rubber, CO2,antique ignition,DLG or anything else. It don't have to be the latest or the most expensive, just so it flys. Been with the same club for 40 years more or less. For evening goofing or long quiet sailplane sessions the local schoolyard of 64 open acres with a large sky view for ranging looking for thermals.
Yea. lots of the guys at my club are old tymers. We have a good mix though, plenty of old clunky glow planes and slick new planes.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:07 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,407 Posts
Missing option.

In the air!

There's enough people in my area that fly at local parks/schools that if we all got together we'd have a club about 40 members strong. I don't know if any of the guys are members of a club, but if people in clubs were as cool as all the people I've met at schools and parks that fly, it'd be well worth joining.

There's ribbing, but it's meant in a friendly way. I've never seen or heard anyone badmouth someone for what they fly. I have seen it for how someone fly's but they were operating in a very unsafe manner.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Wish I had the skill to fly at a local park full of ballmovers, dog walkers, with traffic laden roads on all sides and houses and schools just across those roads.

Be so much nearer than going to a dedicated club flying site, with lots of space and no folk ambling across MY path.

Must have bought the wrong version of my hobby

Our local clubs are great. Many of the members fly all sorts of models and one club reckons their new members over the last couple of years seldom have any time with wet power models.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
I go like this: If I have a day with not much to do, (weekends and summer) I get all my planes and fly at my club. If I only have a little time, I go to the soccer field with one.
Pretty much summarizes my approach. The field is a 25 minute drive, so it makes sense to go there if I'm putting in several hours, or if I want to fly any of my bigger or heavier models. Alternatively there are school yards and parks nearby if I just need a quick fix.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
My clubs 15-20 mins away. Its in the middle of nowhere in farmlands. very relaxing place, not a building in sight. Sometimes I stop by there on the way back from a drive and just watch there. Our club is big, 400+ members, so someone is always flying.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
Peter, irl
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2012
155 Posts
I fly at an abandoned horseracing track 10 minutes from home. There is a small community of RC cars, trucks, helis, warbirds, gliders, fpv and the lot, but nowhere to hide from the sun or plug in a glue gun or charger. I can recall seeing 5 or 6 planes in the air at once. Not bad for a non-club
Itchy Thumbs is online now Find More Posts by Itchy Thumbs
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:31 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
I am lucky enough to belong to a great club with minimal negative personalities and lots of great guys. Makes it more fun to fly at the field than to fly alone.

My club field is 20-25 minutes away and if I head that way, I usually have at least a couple of hours to spend there. If I only have 30 min to an hour, I fly from a local field next to a school, and limit the activities to Parkflyer type models.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
I tried a club once...left a bad taste take your money and no help for the "newbie with the foamie"...and snide remarks and laughter at crashing....so I fly at a local park in the evenings that has become a sort of loose association of the unwashed and unkept....something like the island of misfit flyers I also fly with another set of the unwashed, unloved and unkept at a yet unbuilt industrial area...it was a farm once that will be built on in the future so it is a field about 1800 ft by 1200 ft with a nice blocked off paved road that is about 300 ft....nice runway
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11