HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Discussion
2.4ghz booster for long range? A bad or good idea?

The 1 watt 2.4ghz booster I ordered 2 weeks ago finally arrived. I have not tested it yet and just today I saw a post by IBCrazy saying that the boosters WILL fail the reason being that with transmitters, I'd be running it at 100% duty cycle instead of 15% which is normal. Can someone explain what this means and if in fact hooking the booster up to frsky will give good results. I've seen a lot of videos of people going to +15miles with their boosters.
Would adding some kind of cooling system or better heatsink prolong the life of the booster?
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:22 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,018 Posts
How much was the booster? You also need a better antenna for it...this all adds up to $. How much would it cost to replace your entire plane? If your booster fails when you are miles away, how likely are you to find it?

Add these figures up...and suddenly the Dragonlink or TSLRS becomes much more viable/attractive.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:40 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
How much was the booster? You also need a better antenna for it...this all adds up to $. How much would it cost to replace your entire plane? If your booster fails when you are miles away, how likely are you to find it?

Add these figures up...and suddenly the Dragonlink or TSLRS becomes much more viable/attractive.
Well my OSD has RTH so if something goes wrong, it will hopefully come back. The booster was $35 and I might not even use it that much. With Frsky and 7dbi antenna I should be able to go about 5 miles without it. Luckily my father is an electrical engineer so I could see what he thinks of the quality of the booster.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,538 Posts
It's a good idea actually.

FrSky modules are not transmit only devices but biderictional ones so the Tx duty is nowhere near 100%.
Any wifi amplifier could handle that and do the switching from Tx to Rx mode without problems. Most if not all of them have even a preamp that boosts the received signal (noise too)! I am using a 500mW bidirectional one from Hawking Technology with great results.

Having said it always better to optimize your antennas before trying to boost your transmitting power. It's a technically more elegant way to increase the range and shows more consideration to other people using the same band.
The HAMS etiquette suggest to use the minimum wattage that gets the job done.

The next few days I am going to try Circular polarization on the R/C link. Like a cloverleaf onboard and a skew planar on the ground or even a helical on the tracker. Add the booster to that and the range should be awesome! Hehe

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Last edited by Dimitris76; Aug 06, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Edited for typos...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:23 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,018 Posts
Dimitri, that sounds sweet! Definitely keep us updated on how it goes! So you've had alot of good FPV flights with the amp and a Frsky system?
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:00 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
FrSky modules are not transmit only devices but biderictional ones do the Tx duty is nowhere near 100%.
Any wifi amplifier could handle that and do the switching from Tx to Rx mode without problems. Most if not all of them have even a preamp that boosts the received signal too! I am using a 500mW bidirectional one from Hawkins Technologies with great results.

Having said it always better to optimize your antennas before trying to boost your transmitting power. It's a technically more elegant way to increase the range and shows more consideration to other people using the same band.
The HAMS etiquette suggest to use the minimum wattage that gets the job done.

The next few days I am going to try Circular polarization on the R/C link. Like a cloverleaf onboard and a skew planar on the ground or even a helical on the tracker. Add the booster to that and the range should be awesome! Hehe

/Dimitrios
Thanks you are super helpful
Do you think that one of these can handle the telemetry too or not?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
Dimitri, that sounds sweet! Definitely keep us updated on how it goes! So you've had alot of good FPV flights with the amp and a Frsky system?
The bi-directional amplifier I am using is Hawking Technology's HSB1

EDIT: Here is the link to my amplifier: http://reviews.cnet.com/search-resul...-31126286.html

It's propably discontinued and the current model is HSB2. I don't know the differences though...
http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-a...-31383025.html

This amp has another advantage. With a small switch on the side of the enclosure you can adjust the transmitted output in three steps: 100, 200 and 500mW.

I didn't have many FPV flights - only 5 or 6 with it until now - but I have extensively tested it on the ground for many hours without any problems in case you are wondering about the amp's reliability when fed with FrSky signal.

/Dimitrios
Last edited by Dimitris76; Aug 06, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,239 Posts
look here..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post17362105
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sunhan
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:14 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Lots of good info. I feel really confident that this setup will work. The only "problem" is that it needs 5-6v current. I'll just use my spare esc with bec to power it and it should be fine.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,239 Posts
nope.no bec required... sunhan is 12v, so direct connect to ur 3s lipo from ur tx.. use the balance plug..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Last edited by barok; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:58 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
nope.no bec required... sunhan is 12v, so direct connect to ur 3s lipo from ur tx.. use the balance plug..
The one I have is 5v. It says so on the power adapter and I did try using the bec and it worked fine. It might even work with 12v, who knows, but dont want to risk anything.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,331 Posts
1 watt on 2.4 gig is not very good to be near while it's transmitting.....
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2,538 Posts
For the record the Hawking Technology HSB1 amplifier that I mentioned earlier is built like a tank out of a solid chunk of aluminum and it needs 12volts.

While googling for pics to attach I bumped on this site:
http://www.pcliquidations.com/p9849-...-hsb1-wireless

You can have it for 19 bucks!!!

/Dimitrios
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:48 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody069 View Post
1 watt on 2.4 gig is not very good to be near while it's transmitting.....
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,331 Posts
Think of what cooks your food...Microwave ovens are around 2.4 gig range.
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069