SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
9X Question

Hi Nick,

First of all, let me say thanks for all the hard work and attention to detail you spent on this project. I find it amazing the depth of your knowledge. My boy and myself are getting into this hobby in large part because of your video. We are taking on this build as a father-son project. To wit I have some questions. First, we have started off with very basic indoor rc helicopters as we get used to their flight characteristics.

1) Can you recommend an initial quad that we can both learn to fly without breaking the piggy?

2) As we begin to order parts for the build, I notice there is a new 9X out called the 9XR. Would it cause any problems if I ordered this one, instead?

(Link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html )

(Notice you are in MO., so are we, STL.)

Thanks again!
Fastmetal is offline Find More Posts by Fastmetal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
Hi Nick,

First of all, let me say thanks for all the hard work and attention to detail you spent on this project. I find it amazing the depth of your knowledge. My boy and myself are getting into this hobby in large part because of your video. We are taking on this build as a father-son project. To wit I have some questions. First, we have started off with very basic indoor rc helicopters as we get used to their flight characteristics.

1) Can you recommend an initial quad that we can both learn to fly without breaking the piggy?

2) As we begin to order parts for the build, I notice there is a new 9X out called the 9XR. Would it cause any problems if I ordered this one, instead?

(Link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html )

(Notice you are in MO., so are we, STL.)

Thanks again!
I used a scratch built small quad to learn on. Using the same type of construction outlined in my videos. The difference was that I used just a square plate and arms in x pattern. For running gear I used Emax Cf2822 1200kv motors, F30A esc flashed with simonk firmware, and a plain jane KK board, not a kkv2 with LCD but just a plain ole KK board. Cheap 2200mah 3s pack and 8x4.5 props.

Instead of screwing the motors to the arms, zip tie them on. This helps protect the motors from crash damage.

I think the 9XR will be fine, I ordered one myself. It looks to be the 9x with all the mods done for you.

Im south of STL by about 45 miles in the DeSoto area.
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 AM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Washington, Mo. for us.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Rick,

I have played back the vid a couple of times, but don't seem to find the length of the standoffs for the topper? Looks like the 4 spacers are cut to about 2.5 cm?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:55 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Rick,

I have played back the vid a couple of times, but don't seem to find the length of the standoffs for the topper? Looks like the 4 spacers are cut to about 2.5 cm?

Thanks again.
Length is not critical so anything that will clear the Flight board and allow room for your fingers.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,494 Posts
I like it. Thank you for taking the time to make and post the videos and information for this really great looking project. I'm just now getting into FPV and as such I've been reading alot. I bought an entry level FPV setup. I figure with my limited skills I'll be staying close. 100 yards or less for now. I just put the equipment on a quad I finished last month. It actually flies pretty good. Used the KK2 board from HK. Being a computer dummy I need to go with plug and play type stuff. Thanks again.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:47 AM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Smartie Partz 9x Solderless Programmer Board with LED Backlight Support

Anyone:

Do I need the SP programmer board with the new Turnigy 9XR?

Thanks.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:09 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Anyone:

Do I need the SP programmer board with the new Turnigy 9XR?

Thanks.
No, the 9Xr has backlight, er9x, and accessible ISP port, you do still need the USBasp programmer. I don't know about telemetry since that was another SP add-on which took advantage of the board.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Thanks Brontide, saved me some moola there!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Brontide, saved me some moola there!
Best to follow up in the Radio subform, I'm sure there is an active 9Xr thread.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:34 AM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Best to follow up in the Radio subform, I'm sure there is an active 9Xr thread.
There is, but right now its just crying and whining and some sour grapes. 9XR has a port ready for an aspusb programmer. It is not telemtry ready. When you get it flash it using companion9x and flash with open9x.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
There is, but right now its just crying and whining and some sour grapes. 9XR has a port ready for an aspusb programmer. It is not telemtry ready. When you get it flash it using companion9x and flash with open9x.
Understood, knowing how HK works I'm not willing to jump on any new product until the bugs are worked out. I've wasted too much of my life already with the 9x, but it works the way I need it to for now.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Video, Part 5, 23 minute mark, motor spinup controller mystery

In the part 5 video, at the 23 min mark, Nick is using a blue device that is about 5cm by 5cm. The device is being used to control motor speed on a power test. It has a rheostat of some sort and a blue light.

Can anyone shed some light on what this device is called and where it can be purchased.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Fastmetal; Jan 07, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I believe it's a "servo tester". I've been meaning to pick one up myself. The same can be achieved with a spare Rx.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
In the part 5 video, at the 23 min mark, Nick is using a blue device that is about 5cm by 5cm. The device is being used to control motor speed on a power test. It has a rheostat of some sort and a blue light.

Can anyone shed some light on what this device is called and where it can be purchased.

Thanks in advance.
Yea it is a servo tester. http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...cy-tester.html is the one I use.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html is one if you are making an order from HK.