HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:37 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out_of_control View Post
What range is achievable when using this setup.

What options to increase range, i've seen videos that look like miles away from TX
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433619
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:57 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Thanks Brontide, i've had a quick look, looks very interesting, should give me some understanding before I part with cash
out_of_control is offline Find More Posts by out_of_control
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
You have to also remember that it's setup + terrain that will define your range. The nice thing about telemetry is that you should be alerted *before* you lose control. I have the FrSky module and a few Rx units on order.

With the 9x it's almost a no brainer at this point to buy it and either the FrSky for distance / high end or the orange for inexpensive Rx's and blade compatibility.
Last edited by brontide; Nov 09, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
It's primarily the safety factor to ensure that I am aware when I am approaching range limit, but also to plan ahead for some improved range.

I fully appreciate terrain etc, and that setup is important.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:52 AM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
541 Posts
I have flown 3 miles out on the frsky telemetry setup on 5.8ghz video. I used the Rangevideo 7dbi patch antenna on the frsky and home brew clovers on the video.

I have read people fly past 15km with an amp but for me 3 miles is enough. I should note 3 miles was done in a bixler not a multirotor.
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
I have flown 3 miles out on the frsky telemetry setup on 5.8ghz video. I used the Rangevideo 7dbi patch antenna on the frsky and home brew clovers on the video.

I have read people fly past 15km with an amp but for me 3 miles is enough. I should note 3 miles was done in a bixler not a multirotor.
At this time 3 miles is way more than I can imagine flying, although it would help me check the mother in law isn't on her way over
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,529 Posts
Nick_P,

This is one awesome build log... It is very detailed and well documented. Thank you for sharing it with everyone.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
541 Posts
Thank you! I hope you found it useful.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
Thank you! I hope you found it useful.
Absolutely! I'm on part 7 of your DYI Spider build log youtube series. I have enjoyed watching all of what I've seen so far.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:27 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
My spider is 3/8 inch alu c channel and 1/8 birch plywood. All cuts are squared, no angled cuts at all. Arms are 2x10" and 2x9.5" center plate is one 6x12 inch plywood cut down the center. Front is 120 degree arm angle and back is 90 degrees.
Hey bontride,
Can you post photos of your spider?

I'm curious to see how your Spider looks and I'm all about simplicity.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,529 Posts
Nick_P,

How about having another version of the Spider frame that can accomodate a GoPro camera?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Hey bontride,
Can you post photos of your spider?

I'm curious to see how your Spider looks and I'm all about simplicity.

I have since moved on from that design. It took a few hard landings and the alu started to deform where it attached to the center plate. Moved on to some new ideas, but nothing fully cooked. If you are all about simplicity then you might be more interested in my more recent builds.

Where the structural X is formed with two long arms bolted together. Power systems are zip tied to the arms and then a non-structural FC mount is attached on top. You can swap out a velcro battery for a long plate loosely coupled with battery and video.

I know, two different quads, I haven't yet adapted the video pod for the smaller one yet.
Last edited by brontide; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Nick_P,

How about having another version of the Spider frame that can accomodate a GoPro camera?
The frame as it is should support a Gopro. Flight cam mounts up top and the gopro mounts on the bottom. Simple velcro and strap should secure it fine.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:56 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,850 Posts
There has been some chat on here about finding G10 in the UK , partly because I am a cheapskate and partly because I love to make stuff from thrown away material I have been looking at reclaiming G10 from Mother boards from PC and CD players

I have been successful with some small boards by running a hot air paint stripper and brushing the components off.
I know it is slightly heavier with the micro thin film of copper on it but it is so strong

Just a thought

My last build Arms = 20mm elect conduit ,LG = rod from a umbrella and the ends of hard drives, Chassis plates from 1/4 ply from the back of a cupboard, "nylon" spacers cut from a old kitchen cutting board
battery tray is a piece of half round gutter heated and squashed flat , dome =cctv from 1.00 shop

And it flies (TESTING BATTERY ALARM)
IMG 0496[1] (1 min 5 sec)

Next build a Nick P spider out of reclaimed G10 and glued up plastic trunking

Jeff
Upup is online now Find More Posts by Upup
Last edited by Upup; Dec 16, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:08 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,850 Posts
Double post sorry
Upup is online now Find More Posts by Upup