HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Build Log
Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Together

Greetings,

Let me present the Let’s Build series of video tutorials. These videos chronicle my small journey as I build, redesign, build, fly, and FPV a Spider Quad.

A small introduction may or may not be necessary, but here is mine. My name is Nick, and I am currently a middle-aged, college engineering student. I have completed the first two years of coursework, and as a reward for doing oh so well, I decided to get back into radio controlled flight. A few months of research later, and multi-rotor FPV was my chosen reward. The DIY aspect of both FPV and multi-rotors drew my attention. I could also appreciate the need to research each hobby individually as they are both semi complex for the beginner. I dove into FPV first. I felt FPV would be the biggest challenge and wanted a working system that could be transferred into a multi-rotor platform.

After reading multiple threads on the different frequencies a person could utilize and on the down falls of each, I came to a very easy conclusion. I wanted to use 2.4ghz control and 5.8ghz video. I understood the range issue and predicted brown outs that have become associated with 2.4ghz control; however, I planned to use the Turnigy 9x with a Frsky module. The reports I had read all indicated this was a solid control setup for a small amount of coin. The Turnigy/Frksy combo without amplifier was giving ranges in the miles.

After locking in on a control system, I decided to look into HobbyKing’s new 5.8ghz setup. For less than a night out with the wife, I could purchase a 5.8ghz transmitter and receiver. I spent a few nights reading as much as there was on the 5.8 system. Reports ranged from excellent to awful. The majority of complaints were dedicated to range and the channel selection. These issues seemed to be remedied by reading the fawking manual and by building circular polarized antennas. IB_Crazy has created two excellent tutorials on building antennas for all frequencies using circular polarized techniques. Using these antennas truly opened the door to high performance video on 5.8ghz without a high price.

With video transmission out of the way, I needed to find a suitable camera and viewing device. I spent more time reading about cameras than anything else. I did not want a horrible view that could potentially turn me off FPV. I watched countless videos of live outs, trying to find the best camera. This all lead me to a remarkable discovery; the TBS69 had a live out so crisp and clean it looked HD. However, I was not willing to spend $170.00 for a board camera. I ended up settling on the next best camera; the Sony 600tvl ccd from Securitycam2000.
For full immersion, I went with a set of Fatshark Base goggles, and the goggles have proven to be worth every penny spent on them. I ended up modding the goggles to include a 5.8ghz receiver, which gives me the freedom of not being tied to a ground station.

When I started researching multi-rotors, I was blasted with large amounts of information that at the time did not make any sense. I should note that all the information needed to get started with multi-rotors is available; it just did not seem to be available in a single package. The Megalink Archive is a great resource once you understand what you need to know, but for someone just arriving at the info landfill, I can understand how a newbie could be overwhelmed with knowledge.

I waded through the data and tried to develop a parts list along the way. I looked for setups people ran reliably and made note of the different motor/esc/battery combos they ran. I started to get an understanding about the relationships of mass, motor size, kv, and prop size. I ran into a lot of opinion presented as fact, but in the end, I was comfortable enough to pick a control board, motor, esc, and frame.

I built a small quad to start using a KK board from Hobbyking, along with Emaxx 2822 motors spinning 8x4.5 props powered by F-30a SimonK flashed esc getting juice from geforce 2200mah 3s lipo. All up mass including FPV gear was 800grams. I learned to fly LOS and FPV on this tiny quad. I crashed it more times than I can count, and I went through at least $100.00 in props.
Now that I have my feet wet, I would like to build a larger more powerful ship. I especially enjoy the looks of spider quads; therefore, I drew a design in Solidworks and created a Spider Quad for myself.

What I have done is document the build process as well as outline the parts I selected. My goal is to possibly shed some light on what can feel like an overwhelming task. I have created a series of videos that documents my process, includes commentary, and takes you from beginning to flying FPV. I will include a downloadable packet that contains all the drawing needed to copy and build this quad. I invite whomever decides to follow along and build one for themselves. I would love to see the progress made and hope to answer any questions that may come up. I would also be open to design changes and suggestions.

Without further ado let me present the Lets Build video series. Below are a set of links that include a downloadable packet containing the plans and parts list as well as links to the videos of the build.
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
First I want to present a video of the Spider Quad Flying and a small amount of FPV. The camera I am using is 1080p HD and is SOLID mounted to the frame. There are some vibrations present because I wanted to see total vibs without any dampening. Once I balance the motors and add dampening I am confident the jello with leave.
Lets Build series FPV Spider Quad (6 min 9 sec)

Let me also include a pure FPV video cruising around the house for the first time.
FPV Spider Around the yard (6 min 6 sec)

And now let me give an introduction to the build series.
Lets Build DIY FPV Spider Quad Introduction (10 min 15 sec)

This is a link to the downloadable packet that include needed plans and parts list.
http://www.4shared.com/zip/kyugnlHA/...DERQUAD_2.html

Then finally here is the build video series.
Lets Build a FPV Spider Quad Part 1 (11 min 2 sec)

Lets Build a FPV Spider Quad Part 2 (11 min 30 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 3 (9 min 4 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 4 (21 min 20 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 5 (25 min 3 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 6 (18 min 14 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 7 (15 min 33 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 8 (23 min 53 sec)

Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 9 (26 min 10 sec)
Last edited by Nick_P; Aug 18, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:26 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
The Maiden Flight with some tuning.
Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 10 the Maiden and PID tuning (13 min 16 sec)

Lets go over the FPV gear.
Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 11 FPV Gear Selection (24 min 53 sec)

FPV Gear Install
Lets Build a DIY FPV Spider Quad Part 12 FPV Gear Install. (11 min 40 sec)

Additional videos will be added as I complete them. I have the FPV done but need to do the filming and editing.
Last edited by Nick_P; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
140 Posts
Thanks for sharing Nick. You put a lot of effort into this.
BH flyer is offline Find More Posts by BH flyer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
looks nice
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
United Kingdom, Llandenny
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Brilliant resource :-) Good luck on the maiden!
MilesI is offline Find More Posts by MilesI
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,111 Posts
hey , nice log, realy informative.

any chance of some raw fpv footage ? or point out wich video is raw footage from the fpv cam.
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:56 AM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Thanks for the reply's.

All the First Person video is raw from an HD cam. I am recording Live out from the board cam currently. I have the $17.00 dollar HK cam and the $45.00 Security Cam2000 600tvl. I want to show a comparison of the two.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:08 PM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
Great looking frame... I also like the tutorial on the construction. Great work.
UAVJOE is online now Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
946 Posts
Nice vids.

Have you got any more info on the mods you did to incorporate a RX into your Fatshark Base goggles? Which RX module did you use?
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:05 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
Great looking frame... I also like the tutorial on the construction. Great work.
I appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:11 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_mouse View Post
Nice vids.

Have you got any more info on the mods you did to incorporate a RX into your Fatshark Base goggles? Which RX module did you use?
I had a RC305 that had its voltage regulator burn up. I decided to try removing the module from the 305. I simply used a dremel and cut out the module after determining the pin-outs, opened my goggles and placed it inside. The fatsharks have a 5 volt regulator so I used that to power the rx module, taped into the futaba connector for video and that is it. Here are a few pictures:

I installed a 7.2volt ubec into my 9x and that powers the goggles.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
Thanks for the reply's.

All the First Person video is raw from an HD cam. I am recording Live out from the board cam currently. I have the $17.00 dollar HK cam and the $45.00 Security Cam2000 600tvl. I want to show a comparison of the two.
cool i look forward to seeing this.
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:28 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogz85 View Post
cool i look forward to seeing this.
The 600tvl is worlds better than the HK cam. The HK cam is flyable its just not an enjoyable flying experience.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
Just noticed I can change this
Toowoomba QLD, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
The 600tvl is worlds better than the HK cam. The HK cam is flyable its just not an enjoyable flying experience.
Do you prefer a 2.8 or 3.6mm lens on the 600tvl camera for flying your quad?

Great build by the way! I'm waiting on some gear from RCtimer for my 1st quad at the moment.
Okisub is offline Find More Posts by Okisub