HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
955 Posts
Blaser, assuming this was not a pilot error i think the two things that could have happened are the battery moving or a control rod failure. I am building mine now and think the control hardware and piano wire is waaaaay to flimsy and inadequate for this size plane.

I second the UBEC issue as well. also, who knows what quality servos the included units are...
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Hi Westwood.

looks like a good idea to add magnet for the mod.
looks like a strong connection

*** What size magnet did you used?
Thanks
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
Lots of great info Guys for us getting ours
prop data is great and aslo finding out about the bec.
Mybe someone needs to contact BH about the cg thing as that seems like alot of weight to me.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
Hi Al
Are you upgrading the power system or just the ESC?

I'll be just adding the external switching BEC, that's it, there is nothing wrong with the included ESC / motor which the are within the stock prop/motor/ ESC/ lipo combination performance specs. We know that the stock 40A eSC is fine for either prop combination the stock 8x7or 9x6 with 3S based on Blaser's test data.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Aug 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2012
62 Posts
More information released

They finally put some more information and pictures on their site, http://www.bananahobby.com/super-sky-surfer.html
jcarff is offline Find More Posts by jcarff
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,638 Posts
Mine just arrived - in good condition. Quick first impressions: looks nice with smooth foam and neatly applied stickers, that main spar is very heavy but probably necessary. I'm not pleased with the friction fit of the wings in the fuse. I know you often see this in these EZ type planes but this one's too large and heavy for that (IMHO). The manual says you can tape the wings or use chewing gum - yeah, right.

Others have been waiting on compartment sizes so here they are:

Front compartment 140x45x43 L,H,W in mm. There are two partial bulkheads in this compartment that could be relieved to provide a few mm more of H and W. This is the battery compartment.

There is another compartment directly under the canopy that measures 100x43x105. Again a floor bulkhead that could be relieved to provide some additional height if necessary.

The supplied spec sheet on the motor shows its only rated for a max of 29A and 3s battery. I'll do some power measurements on it a little later to compare with Blaser's.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 20, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:54 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,449 Posts
Quote: The manual says you can tape the wings or use chewing gum - yeah, right.

Are you joking ??
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
Quote: The manual says you can tape the wings or use chewing gum - yeah, right.

Are you joking ??
About the tape, no. The chewing gum....maybe?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
great info guys- keep it coming- Mine is on the way and Eckace just donated a bec to me as we agree that is too many servos for a linear bsc
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:54 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,638 Posts
I've gotten 139 logged flights on my Tian Sheng 73" Cessna with 6, 17g servos using a 3a linear bec. I know, I know - that's probably pushing it but remember that the 2 flap servos draw significant power only for a second or two each flight when the flaps are used. I'll probably just use the supplied esc/bec - guess I enjoy living on the edge!

I'd be more concerned about using a 4s battery as both the motor and esc are rated for a max of 3s.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I've gotten 139 logged flights on my Tian Sheng 73" Cessna with 6, 17g servos using a 3a linear bec. I know, I know - that's probably pushing it but remember that the 2 flap servos draw significant power only for a second or two each flight when the flaps are used. I'll probably just use the supplied esc/bec - guess I enjoy living on the edge!

I'd be more concerned about using a 4s battery as both the motor and esc are rated for a max of 3s.
I have looked at that plane and it is nice ,well worth the $20 for a quality bec.
As for Scotts plane i can't wait silly I know not even mine but we will go slow with prep and maiden. 2 half heads are better than one I'm sure
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:

I'd be more concerned about using a 4s battery as both the motor and esc are
rated for a max of 3s.

As far as the electrical loads to be realized by the 6 servos will be much different than your huge Cessna, because with 6 servo sailplanes if properly setup with full trailing edge camber for flaps and ailerons and crow for landing, and much of the flight envelope will be using all 6 servos simultaneously, that's just how full house sailplanes are setup. I definitely would not run 4S on the stock electronics if there is any expectation of lifespan longevity., and it's not necessary because, this model performs just fine in stock configuration as seen in the BH posted video.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I can't tell in the photos, but are the flap servos facing the same way so you can use a y-connector? I'm tempted to get one and put my APM2 on it.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,638 Posts
Well, I don't intend to use it as a "full house sailplane"; just a simple powered glider with flaps to slow it a bit for landing. I actually have no real interest in sailplanes.

But I do like big foamies!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Well, I don't intend to use it as a "full house sailplane"; just a simple powered glider with flaps to slow it a bit for landing. I actually have no real interest in sailplanes.

But I do like big foamies!

Sure, in that case, you should be fine with the stock built-in linear BEC.