HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Note for folks who live near Banana Hobby (in Irwindale near Los Angeles) and have the opportunity to go there and pick your SSS up directly instead of having it shipped:

Do it. And when you're there, lift the wings and spar out of the box and see if the spar fits. If it doesn't, ask for new wings. Their QC seems to be a little sketchy on this matter.

Also lift out the small packages with control horns and bolts inside. Make sure there's four bolts for each control horn (mine had three each), and ask for the right number if there isn't.

And even if you pick your plane up there, ask for the shipping box anyway. You paid for it, and it makes an even better carrying case than the model box itself (which works but is fractionally smaller).
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:56 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I just added some pictures and additional info to my earlier post about the HeadsUpRC EMAX motor mount.
See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23061253

As presently set up, it revs to 12,800 RPM with that 3-blade 9x7.5 wide-blade prop and 5s battery, and pulls 71 Amps at 18.9 volts. V*A=1,341 Watts, which is a little scary for a powered glider, even a big one. ESC gets warm but not hot, yet. Present 3-blade 9x7.5 is probably too much prop for this motor and battery combination,
I just tried the APC two-blade 9x6E prop on this motor/battery combination ( http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail Emax 3526-04 outrunner motor, 5s 4000mAh battery). Ran it at full power for about 10 seconds, it turned at 14,700 RPM, drawing 44A at 18.5V. I don't have a way to measure static thrust, but it "felt" less than the thrust with the wide-blade 3-blade 9x7.5 EMP prop. Volts*Amps=814 Watts.

The Hobbywing 100A ESC got slightly warm during this 10-second run, motor stayed cool to the touch. Not bad. HeadsUpRC says they drew 47 Amps with this motor and prop on a 5s battery, pretty close. Their numbers work out to about 19.8V, they must have had a VERY healthy 5s battery.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Possible $$$ savings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
If you are asking how long it will take to reach you, it usually takes 18 ~ 20 days to my California address. EMS shipping is much faster but too expensive
Yup. Bunches more $$. However, one thing I found out recently about HK. If you order from the USA HK office, the EMS charge is VERY competitive and sometimes less than USPS. Make sure you always check to see if what you want is in the USA office. So far, in my experience, the TOTAL cost is less to MUCH less when I order from the USA office. YMMV <- first time I have used that.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yup. Bunches more $$. However, one thing I found out recently about HK. If you order from the USA HK office, the EMS charge is VERY competitive and sometimes less than USPS. Make sure you always check to see if what you want is in the USA office. So far, in my experience, the TOTAL cost is less to MUCH less when I order from the USA office.
EMS is an International service (only). There is no such thing as EMS for domestic mail within the US. If you order from the US warehouse, which is near Seattle, they will ship by Priority Mail, which will take two or three days to US addresses. Of course that is MUCH cheaper than EMS from China.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
EMS is an International service (only). There is no such thing as EMS for domestic mail within the US. If you order from the US warehouse, which is near Seattle, they will ship by Priority Mail, which will take two or three days to US addresses. Of course that is MUCH cheaper than EMS from China.
Of course, you are totally right. I confused EMS with Parcel vs Priorty which the latter two (Parcel and Priorty) are very close in cost. I always use Priorty because the cost is so slight and I get the product quicker. BTW- Once, just once, it was cheaper to use Priorty for a LiPo of some kind. I can't find the invoice right now. Anyhow, for those who have been following along, shipping in the USA goes like this:
USPS Priorty Mail - 2-3 days.
USPS Parcel Mail - 5-6 days.
There are other options. But, these are the methods that caused me to get confused with EMS.
Ok. guys. I return control of this thread to all of you. I am done being off topic. I promise.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
It arrived today! This is just a quick fitting to check everything out, it seems all parts are OK, and I can confirm that the decals are not attached. The main spar is pictured leaning against the plane, and it weighs in at 283 grams, it is certainly not metal at all.

NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Just reinforced the firewall of my SSS, it had been disturbingly wobbly when I put in the Emax 3626-04 motor. Could be that a few hard landings (well, they weren't exactly landings) may have jarred some things loose.

Took out the Emax's second firewall, drilled four 1/4" holes about 2" deep, from each edge of the (original) firewall forward into the motor pod, put some epoxy in each hole, put more epoxy on four 2" long 1/4" dowels, and pushed them in so they were nearly flush with the firewall. Then epoxied them pretty lavishly to the firewall. Not pretty, but rugged (I hope), and now the firewall feels VERY rigid and secure. Motor doesn't wobble even a hair.

Bolted the second firewall back onto the first, bolted the motor to the 2nd, then found to my surprise that a 10" prop fits! Tips have about 1/8" clearance from the fuselage. Between the longer motor and the 3/16" second firewall, the propeller stands about an inch behind the opening of the motor pod. (With the original motor and prop, the prop actually touched the motor pod, had to put an extra washer on the collet to stand the prop clear).

Since the motor is angled upward, the farther you move the prop back the farther the tips get from the fuselage. VERY handy! 1/8" clearance is the minimum I can tolerate, a little vibration and/or another hard landing and instant buzzsaw. And AJBaker will complain again about the lowered efficiency and increased current consumption caused by the blades dragging their way through foam, when I never tested that operating mode with a wattmeter .

Hmmm, HeadsUpRC says they got 112 oz static thrust from this motor with a 5s battery and APC 10x5E two-blade prop, drawing 52 Amps for a nice, round 1,000 Watts, hmmm.....
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
It arrived today! This is just a quick fitting to check everything out, it seems all parts are OK, and I can confirm that the decals are not attached. The main spar is pictured leaning against the plane, and it weighs in at 283 grams, it is certainly not metal at all.
Somewhere in the manual it says the main spar is fiberglass. How well does it fit inside the wing tubes?

And how many bolts did they give you for each control horn?
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Somewhere in the manual it says the main spar is fiberglass. How well does it fit inside the wing tubes?

And how many bolts did they give you for each control horn?
The spar is TIGHT, and certainly shorter then the total length of the embedded tubes.

3 bolts per.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
The spar is TIGHT, and certainly shorter then the total length of the embedded tubes.

3 bolts per.
Some folks here have mentioned it took some effort to get the spar into the wing. Others have said it went in easily. And a few (including me) said that it was all but impossible to get it all the way in.

My solution was to sand mine down until it fit. Put half a dozen flights on it, including some mild stunts, no problems. But I eventually went with a carbon-fiber tube that was 12mm diameter, and am still using that now.

Yes, the spar is shorter than the wing tubes have room for. Highest bending stress is at the center (at the fuselage) of course, and decreases roughly as the square of the distance to the wingtip. Could be that the wings need no more support in the outer panels, than the wing tubes themselves. And I have a hunch they made the spar 48" long so it would fit in the box. But no one has broken a wing through violent stunting yet, that I know of. Maybe because no one has done violent stunting? (Though I did a few pretty high-speed pullouts, not always voluntarily ) .

I recommend the carbon-fiber tubes from Goodwinds in Washington state:
http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list....ultrudedcarbon
The fiberglass spar you are wrestling with is 13mm diameter, and weighs around 280-300 grams.
Goodwinds part no. 020039 is .500" (12.7mm) diameter with .050" thick walls, 90 grams.
Goodwinds part no. 020017 is .472" (12.0mm) diameter with .058" thick walls, 87 grams.
Those are 48" long, same as your fiberglass spar rod. They also have 60" long ones, still strong and light, but won't fit in the box if you're using that for transportation.

I tried the .500" one first, but my wing tubes were so bad it STILL didn't fit, though several people here have said the .500" tube fits theirs fine. So I got the .472" one, and finally that one fits beautifully. If yours is only "moderately hard" to get in, the .500" one may be the right one for your plane. But if you have to use both hands to twist the living hell out of that fiberglass spar and it STILL won't go all the way in (like mine), then you might need the .472" one. Or you can just sand the fiberglass spar, takes a lot of sanding.

I got 3 bolts per control horn too. Plane is flying fine with three bolts each, but BH needs to get their parts act together (nothing new). If you call/write them they should send you the missing bolts, but don't hold your breath. I didn't bother.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
I was able to get it to the center mark of the spar with a good bit of twisting and force, It certainly wasn't easy but doable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
I was able to get it to the center mark of the spar with a good bit of twisting and force, It certainly wasn't easy but doable.
No blood no foul.

Can you get it out?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Yeah I got it out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I got it out.
Was it tough enough that you don't want to go through that every time you go to the flying field?

If so, maybe some sandpaper, or a slightly-smaller carbon-fiber tube?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:15 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
With the motor mount now reinforced, tried the Emax 3526-04 motor in my SSS (5s 4000mAh battery, 100A ESC) with several different props (Master Airscrew and APC) at full throttle. Battery voltage varied a little with each run, so not perfect. Results were:

Prop . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Amps . . . Volts . . . . . V*A . . . . . . . . RPM
M.A. 10x5 3-blade . . . . . . 51.5A . . . 19.8V . . . 1,004W . . . (not meas.)
APC 10x6E 2-blade. . . . . 52.2A . . . 19.4V . . . 1,013W . . . 14,040rpm
APC 10x5E 2-blade. . . . . 43.6A . . . 19.7V. . . . . 859W . . . 14,670rpm
APC 9x6E 2-blade. . . . . . 43.5A . . . 19.4V. . . . . 844W . . . 14,640rpm
M.A. 10x5 3-blade again . 48.6A . . . 19.2V. . . . . 933W . . . 14,190rpm
EMP 9x7.5 wide 3-blade . 71A. . . . . 18.9V . . . 1,341W . . . 12,800rpm (tested last week)

HeadsUpRC's published readings:
APC 10x5E 2-blade. . . . . 52A . (W/A=19.2V) .1,000W
APC 9x6E 2-blade. . . . . . 47A . (W/A=19.8V) . . 930W
APC 9x4.5E 2-blade . . . . 43A . (W/A=19.8V) . . 850W

Tested the Master Airscrew three-blade first but didn't measure RPM. Ran thru the rest, then tested the MA again. Also included the EMP 9x7.5 three-blade from its test last week.

Biggest news was that the narrow-blade Master Airscrew 10x5 3-blade did not produce smoke. In fact its power readings were very close to what HeadsUpRC says they got from their two-blade APC 10x5 prop - one of their recommended props for a 5s battery.

I'll try each in flight over the next several weeks. Since all readings were in the "reasonable" ballpark (except the EMP), start with the M.A. narrow-blade three-blade because it looks cool. The EMP is obviously too much propeller for this motor with 5s. The APC 10x5E two-blade might wind up being the best all-around prop for performance and economy. Have to see how its climb perfomance compares with the M.A. 10x5 three-blade.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:30 PM.